WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my place I have seen a Blue Mako in shop, and it might be the most beautiful blue that I've seen on watches-at lease for below $500. I'd wonder how'd the Ray and Mako USA look like in blue in comparison with Mako? Any owner comments?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
hi, no owners comments?
I have both, they are both stunning. I prefer the dial on the Ray to the dial on the Mako USA from a design standpoint, however, the USA IMHO has a better sunburst effect and a deeper blue. This may all be placebo, but it does appear deeper than the Ray dial. Also the bezel is different with the USA bezel being a more matte blue than the gloss on the Ray.

Reactions: Casey

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I have both, they are both stunning. I prefer the dial on the Ray to the dial on the Mako USA from a design standpoint, however, the USA IMHO has a better sunburst effect and a deeper blue. This may all be placebo, but it does appear deeper than the Ray dial. Also the bezel is different with the USA bezel being a more matte blue than the gloss on the Ray.
Blah, blah, blah...pics or it didn't happen. You know the rule!!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Better shot of the dial

Attachments

Reactions: Casey

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks very much for your great posts and photos. I read about how people love the blue on Mako original, wish to see a comparison between it and USA. somehow Ray doesn't strike a chord in me.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
thanks very much for your great posts and photos. I read about how people love the blue on Mako original, wish to see a comparison between it and USA. somehow Ray doesn't strike a chord in me.
You can't go wrong with either, both are excellent watches, and right now the Mako USA is discounted for pre-order at Island Watch Shop, I think there are several posts about it on the forum. It is a heck of a lot of watch for $160-170, which is what I think they are selling it for. Anyway, good luck with the decision, I could not make it, so I bought both.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
But take a serious hard look at the twelve o'clock marker on the USA, it really bugs me, not enough to sell the watch, but I notice it every time I wear it.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Nice pics. Both dials are lookers, but I honestly like the original Ray better. Wish they had just given it sapphire and SEL's instead of changing the dial markers and hands...Oh well, I'm not in charge.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Is that the SEL USA bracelet? How do you like it on the Ray compared to the stock bracelet?
I don't have the stock Ray bracelet as mine arrived on the rubber strap. So I could not tell you, but I do like the solid end links, and it fits the ray nicely.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Contrary to what you said, the ray actually looks a deeper blacker blue than the USA.
I can't explain it well, first blame my photo skills with an iphone, second, I would say what I meant by depth is the three dimensional effect of the sunburst pattern combined with the color (appearance of physical depth). The Ray's is more subdued. I did not mean that it was a darker blue... Sorry, probably could have been more precise. In any event, it is really something that is in the eye of the beholder. Both are stunning on the wrist in my opinion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
too bad i stay far away from usa, too costly to ship it here. anyone of you guy would travel to malaysia within a few months from now? maybe can hitch a ride....... :)

You can't go wrong with either, both are excellent watches, and right now the Mako USA is discounted for pre-order at Island Watch Shop, I think there are several posts about it on the forum. It is a heck of a lot of watch for $160-170, which is what I think they are selling it for. Anyway, good luck with the decision, I could not make it, so I bought both.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
What don't you like about the 12 o'clock marker?
It sits low on the dial. The rest of the dial all lines up but the top of twelve on the USA is a mm lower/ further from the chapter ring. Look at the Ray in contrast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts