Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And which one do you like the best regarding reliability and timekeeping?

21600 gets my vote. I like the slower speed but yet a smooth seconds hand. The ticking is comforting.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
28800 because anything faster will have shorter service intervals and generally cost more for each service.

I hate servicing, it's an opportunity for a watchmaker to rip me off and break my watch.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I like the 36k in GrandSeiko Hi-Beat from the technical aspect. But when i heard it, it doesn't sound as nice as the 21k BPH watches. I love the ticking where each tick sort of resonates a bit. With 36k, each beat is sort of cut off before it has the chance to resonate. Do like the smoother second hand motion though...

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
A few years ago, this would be the kind of neurotic question I'd have scoffed at. Now I say 28,800. But it's not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Tinnitus....Haven't heard a watch tick since '68.....For the sweep of the second hand, don't really care...
unless it stops.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I picked 28,800 because I like the smooth sweep of the seconds hand. While I'd love to own A Grand Seiko Hibeat I think 28,800 is sufficient for the smoothness of the sweep and accuracy. 21,600 certainly isn't a deal-breaker for me if I like the watch. Besides I do happen to like the discernible tick from a 21,600.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This would have meant nothing to me a month ago, but I recently acquired an el Primero 36'000 vph, and my lord! Now all of my other watches, both central and sub seconds are noticeable. Will it ever be a reason for buying or not buying an otherwise awesome piece? No, but it certainly is a beauty to look at.

Reactions: dbh and jsj11

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I picked 36k -- smoother is always better for me. That said, seeing a spring drive in person kind of ruined bps for me, and now everything else feels almost painfully choppy.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
A price list where every single cost has "and up" next to it really isn't a very helpful price list. I look at that and think, "This store is trying to fool me into thinking it will be cheaper than it is."

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
A price list where every single cost has "and up" next to it really isn't a very helpful price list. I look at that and think, "This store is trying to fool me into thinking it will be cheaper than it is."
lol. noted.

Price is one of last things that should ever be considered when trying to locate the best quality of anything. p

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I definitely prefer 18000 bph, but I can live with higher beat too. The frantic sound of 28800 bph (or more) is the opposite of of a soothing sound, and I like to believe a slower rate will turn in less wear and tear (I may be wrong though).

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know this doesn't technically answer the question, but I enjoy everything from 21,600 and up. I like 21,600 bph movememts for the visible start and stop motion with the very defined ticks. My daily wear is a 28800 bph movement and I like the quick yet discernable ticking sound with a nice clean sweep of the central hand. Also, while examining a friend's El Primero the other day, I was mesmerized by the second hand of the chronograph as it swept the outside of the face at a silky 36k. The difference between 8 and 10 beats per second is more noticeable than I thought it would be. I am sure I would love the heavy tick of an 18k as well.

·
Premium Member
38,944 Posts
Might not be want I want to look at most, but 3600 is pretty soothing. A quartz ticking clock is like a metronome to me.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts