WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Sponsor
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1st installment went really well and we are excited to announce the 2nd installment of "Which brand do you prefer?" and its a heavy one......the question of the hour is:

Rolex or Omega? And why? READY....SET....GO!

Military 1 Piece Watch Strap Natural Dublin Matte Lifestyle.jpg

IG DL Rolex Sub French Ammo.jpg

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I love all of my Rolex, only have two Omegas but the Planet Ocean 8500 at 42mm definitely gives my SubC a run for the money and could easily take its place.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I’m an Omega guy. But that’s solely because I think it is the exact same quality at half the price. Why get one Rolex if you can get two Rolexes if you know what I mean. And I think Omega as a brand is way cooler and a better customer experience without all the “prove you’re worthy to own one of us” that Rolex displays. Also, I think the history of Omega is much more interesting than Rolex, including beating out Rolex in NASA’s tests. However, when it comes down to it, I think Rolex watches are just as good as Omegas and there are some I’d like to own. So I’d be happy with either/or as long as the prices were the same. However, I don’t think I’ll ever own one because I could never justify myself buying one watch when I could have gotten 2 watches instead that are equal or better.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rolex> Omega

Both are in my top three, but as a brand Rolex>Omega

Rolex:
All in house
Awesome movements> omega IMO
Timeless
Everything they do is deliberate (albeit slow)
Often As good as cash, excellent value retention
Impeccable QC (Omega too but Rolex>Omega)
I prefer their conservative styling to that of Omega's

After getting a Rolex (was expecting to be disappointment but wanted to try one) I was amazed and has slow release charm also

·
Registered
779 Posts
Omega for me. Lots of reasons that I'm sure others will point out, but I'd point out the brand image that I've associated with Rolex. Uppity Rolex fanboys, and the masses of Rolex owners that know nothing about watches except that "Rolex is the best" has put me off the brand entirely (not that that representsall Rolexowners). Not to mention the fact that you have to kiss an ADs butt to have the privilege to spend thousands on a watch. Despite all that, they do seem to be great watches, but not for me, and not for that amount of mooola.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Omega for me. They are by far my favorite brand, and IMO there's simply just a cool factor there that Rolex can't match. Don't get me wrong, Rolex is the undisputed king in the market, I get it. But when it comes to designs that sing to me, bring me enjoyment to look at, and induce an active desire to own; Omega can't be beat in my eyes. YMMV. I'm no expert when it comes to watches, but I'm confident in saying that I do know cool, and I certainly know what is cool to me.

DSC02629 (2).JPG

DSC08298 (2).JPG

DSC00169 (3).JPG

031 (2).JPG

013%202_1.jpg

423 (3).JPG

DSC00452 (4).JPG

That being said:roll:...Favorite watch is different than one watch, and it almost pains me to admit that if I had to pick one watch from my collection it would not be from my favorite brand, but rather it would be my Explorer II. It's just a great all around watch, and indeed, it wears more comfortably than the modern Omegas I have experienced. That may seem to contradict my answer above, but I'm jut being honest, and it doesn't change the fact that Omega is my favorite brand. Luckily I don't have to restrict myself, and I can own watches from as many brands as I choose ;-).

044 (2).JPG

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Setting aside all the AD and market shenanigans, I think Rolex makes watches that are better built and better looking than Omega.

However, because of all the AD and market shenanigans, I have zero desire to enter the market to buy one. And Omega is not that far behind.

Reactions: JCB43

·
Banned
111 Posts
I prefer the Rolex to Omega.
They have good customer satisfaction IMO, quality watches which the brand always maintains the standard through the years.

A wide range of choices which are all up to par.

I love the Crown logo, depicting it for what it is, royal amongst the watch brands.

Better design and it commands respect from others.

Maybe all I've said doesn't make sense, it's just that way sometimes when you're so into anything and asked why you are

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
As a whole brand? Rolex. As an individual watch that has done everything with me during the best parts of my life, nothing can beat this.

IMG_8590.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,574 Posts
Rolex by a million miles. I have owned 22 over a 25 year period. Only one was purchased as a project that didn’t work and couldn’t be repaired. The other 21 were good timekeepers.

The most shocking was a Perpetual reference 6634. Out of curiosity I opened the (then 30 year old) case with my newly obtained Rolex case opener. What I discovered made me wonder how the watch worked at all, much less tell time. The rotor axle was bent, and the rotor shaved the plates where it made contact. The shavings were distributed throughout the movement. The fact it was still running and accurate was enough to make me respect Rolex forever.

On the other hand, my Omega Broad Arrow, purchased new, needed four trips to service in seven years, twice under warranty, twice at my expense. The fourth time I had the brilliant idea to purchase a new Speedmaster to wear while waiting for the Broad Arrow to be returned. Sadly, after a few weeks the new Speedmaster needed FIVE trips to Omega to make it function the way it was supposed to. I sold both.

To add insult to injury, the one time I talked myself into looking at another Omega (Planet Ocean chronograph), the reset pusher literally popped out (but not off) while I examined it. I’ll never buy another Omega again.

I would buy another Rolex in a heartbeat, but paying to get a Daytona would give me a heart attack. I’m really only interested in chronographs at the moment, and honestly the Daytona is hard for me to read without glasses. I tried both steel models and an 18k white gold model. None were legible for me.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Rolex by a million miles. I have owned 22 over a 25 year period. Only one was purchased as a project that didn’t work and couldn’t be repaired. The other 21 were good timekeepers.

The most shocking was a Perpetual reference 6634. Out of curiosity I opened the (then 30 year old) case with my newly obtained Rolex case opener. What I discovered made me wonder how the watch worked at all, much less tell time. The rotor axle was bent, and the rotor shaved the plates where it made contact. The shavings were distributed throughout the movement. The fact it was still running and accurate was enough to make me respect Rolex forever.

On the other hand, my Omega Broad Arrow, purchased new, needed four trips to service in seven years, twice under warranty, twice at my expense. The fourth time I had the brilliant idea to purchase a new Speedmaster to wear while waiting for the Broad Arrow to be returned. Sadly, after a few weeks the new Speedmaster needed FIVE trips to Omega to make it function the way it was supposed to. I sold both.

To add insult to injury, the one time I talked myself into looking at another Omega (Planet Ocean chronograph), the reset pusher literally popped out (but not off) while I examined it. I’ll never buy another Omega again.

I would buy another Rolex in a heartbeat, but paying to get a Daytona would give me a heart attack. I’m really only interested in chronographs at the moment, and honestly the Daytona is hard for me to read without glasses. I tried both steel models and an 18k white gold model. None were legible for me.
Omega time keeping under the METAS standard is better than the superlative standing. I cannot stand anything running slow.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've gotten to the point where I like them both about equally. I like the Rolex has an established look/feel--they have a very Porsche 911 approach to watches. You know what you're getting when you buy a Rolex---there are no surprises. I like Omega and can appreciate that they change things up a fair amount---new designs, old designs, all sorts of various tweaks over time on a given watch. Despite all of the variations of watch that Omega makes, I like something from all of their watch lines. I can't say that about Rolex---some of their watches I really like, others you couldn't pay me to wear.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Omega. I think they are a better value, make better watches and they look to the future with modern digital and quartz designs like the Omega Marine Chronometer, the X-33 and the Z-33 Spacemaster. Omega has a broad range of watches over a broad range of prices.

Rolex is like De Beers diamonds or Harley Davidson. They were rare and/or cool a long time ago, but now their old fashioned, common and way overpriced. I have been a member here for 10 years and I have not seen Rolex do anything besides shuffle old parts and raise prices.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Omega 100%. In my opinion Rolex, while they make nice watches, are really overpriced. When I look at what else is out there at the price point (GP, JLC, glashutte original, Grand Seiko, etc.) I don't find a mass produced 3-hander to be high on my list of watches I would buy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Omega is my choice. I really enjoy the design language and the quality of every omega that I have owned and I like my history with the brand. I have consistently been impressed by the robust nature of each Omega I have owned; they generally go well beyond "recommended" service intervals before I have ever taken them to be serviced. The customer service and quality control from the brand has been fantastic. When I have taken a watch into be serviced whether it is at an Omega authorized service provider like Nesbit's or the official Omega service center on the west coast they are professional and do good work in a timely manner at a reasonable price .

The variety and style of Omega really appeals to me and my first "good" watch was an Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph that my wife gave to me as a gift when I broke out into saturation diving. I also like the fact that Omega has a long association with the Olympic Games particularly swimming which is a sport that I participate in.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts