WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Sponsor
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1st four installments went really well and we are excited to announce the 5th installment of "Which brand do you prefer?" and its another fun one......the question of the hour is:

Patek Philippe or A. Lange & Söhne? And why? READY....SET....GO!

A. Lange & Söhne Tourbillion.jpg

Patek Philippe Tourbillion.jpg

·
Registered
15,275 Posts
I'd never consider either, not that I could afford either, but if someone offered a gift I'd go the Patek, much cleaner dial . . .

·
Registered
23,524 Posts
Can’t afford either, but having admired them both from afar, and tried on a few Pateks, I think I’d go Lange.

The movements have it for me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
A. Lange & Söhne, all day, eeerrrrrdddaayyy.

I like most of the designs from A. Lange & Söhne and the Datograph is my ultimate dream watch. Nothing from Patek gets my heart racing.

Can't afford either one so my opinion hardly matters.

·
Registered
19,861 Posts
Both.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
hmmm tough one but Id have to say ALS. A decision purely based on aesthetics by the way.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
ALS. Not a fan of the PP looks. And ALS is probably my favorite unaffordable. So not really a fair comparison for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
If I had disposable income that could buy an island then I'd choose the A Lange and Sohne Every time.

Every. Time.

A Lange and Sohne has mastered the art of making chaos look serene. Both in the front and at the back.

Even on the image you posted, there is actually a lot going on in the dial with lots of information being conveyed, but "somehow" it doesn't look gaudy or overstuffed (looking at you, Richard Mille). The font chosen too, quite traditional but doesn't draw your attention to it. Everything works in concert with everything else.

The patek does that too, really really well might I add. But it doesn't operate at the same level of synchronicity as the Lange.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
If we are talking brands not the specific tourbillon perpetuals I prefer Patek.

Lange is a technically better watch in most cases and they are finished better dollar for dollar but they have a German aesthetic that just doesn't hit me on the same emotional level. The platinum Datograph is their one emotionally beautiful piece to me and the reason it is the only one I own. I love the Zeitwerk for what it is to me it is high on technical and low on beauty (that is certainly subjective).

Especially Patek's current collection has a big emotional draw for me. In the last decade, they have have really modernized their watches. I find far more appeal in their catalog than I did say 15 years ago.

Patek has a much better grip on the steel sports side which is a big draw for me. Lange kinda stuffed their first foray into the luxury steel sports models.

The final thing is resell. While I don't obsess too much about resell on most watches at these prices it makes more sense to me because when I am dead someone I care about will be left with them as an asset, they won't be keeping all of my watches. Lange has a terribly resell, Patek on the other hand is the standard bearer for resell.

Reactions: drhr

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
A. Lange & Söhne. Why? The overall aesthetics and the craftsmanship that goes into each individual timepiece.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Patek, for me the steel cased sport models.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm local to govberg and every time I go to their ardmore store I take some time to look at the patek watches they have in stock. Each time I try to find something about the styling I like and I never find anything that moves me. I just can't get into the styling of their watches.

I've seen a lot more ALS watches that even on video are appealling to me.

Fwiw, I don't have interest in spending that kind of money on a watch from either brand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I'm local to govberg and every time I go to their ardmore store I take some time to look at the patek watches they have in stock. Each time I try to find something about the styling I like and I never find anything that moves me. I just can't get into the styling of their watches.
While it may make no difference judging Patek by what is in stock and displayed is like judging Rolex on what is in the AD cases in that you won't see the models in demand.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts