WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Breitling Quartz watches have Perpetual Calendars?

I know that the Airwolf and Chronospace have them. The Emergency and Aerospace have day and date programmed for 4 years which would be effectively the same, certainly for most owners.

What about models like the Galactic 30, Colt Quartz, Colt Oceane, Chrono Colt, Avenger Seawolf Chrono, and Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel?

While at first blush it would seem counter intuitive with only a date displayed, Citizen does manage to do this using minute and hour hands to indicate month and year during the date setting process. Then, once set, the watch will display the correct date even on months with only 28, 29 or 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Only the digital Breitling superquartz models have perpetual or 4-year calendar. You mention most of them.

On the all the others (Galactic 30, Colt Quartz, Colt Oceane, Chrono Colt, Avenger Seawolf Chrono, and Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel) you have to do the usual routine advancing the hourhand 24 hours every second month.

A pity, I'd rushed down to my lokal AD the minute an analog perpetual calender Breitling superquartz was available.

If this is so because Breitling dosen't bother making them or due to limitations in the ETA-calibers i don't know.

When Seiko and Citizen can, why can't Breitling?:think:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Only the digital Breitling superquartz models have perpetual or 4-year calendar. You mention most of them.

On the all the others (Galactic 30, Colt Quartz, Colt Oceane, Chrono Colt, Avenger Seawolf Chrono, and Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel) you have to do the usual routine advancing the hourhand 24 hours every second month.

A pity, I'd rushed down to my lokal AD the minute an analog perpetual calender Breitling superquartz was available.

If this is so because Breitling dosen't bother making them or due to limitations in the ETA-calibers i don't know.

When Seiko and Citizen can, why can't Breitling?:think:
Some of them are annual calendars. The Breitling reference site has comprehensive information on the calibres.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some of them are annual calendars. The Breitling reference site has comprehensive information on the calibres.
Wish you were right! But I'm afraid not. Unless you refer to the Breitling line of digital (LCD display) superquartz. But as mentioned in earlier post, thats not the issue here.

The current Breitling line of analog superquartz are these models: Galactic 30, Colt Quartz, Colt Oceane, Chrono Colt, Avenger Seawolf Chrono, and Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel.

Breitling reference on all of them are Calender: Dial Aperture.
No perpetual.
No annual.

We want superquartz with easy readable annual dates!o|
Or better. At least Benjamin C and me.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Wish you were right! But I'm afraid not. Unless you refer to the Breitling line of digital (LCD display) superquartz. But as mentioned in earlier post, thats not the issue here.

The current Breitling line of analog superquartz are these models: Galactic 30, Colt Quartz, Colt Oceane, Chrono Colt, Avenger Seawolf Chrono, and Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel.

Breitling reference on all of them are Calender: Dial Aperture.
No perpetual.
No annual.

We want superquartz with easy readable annual dates!o|
Or better. At least Benjamin C and me.
Indeed as far as I know Breitling does not have any all-analog perpetual calendar in the current collection :-(

Many of their models are divers and it might be a problem with fitting a 252.611 inside one (since the screw-in crown will conflict with the pushed-in position for showing/setting the calendar elements).

And of course most of the other models are chronographs - and as far as I know there is no all-analog HEQ chronograph that is also a perpetual calendar :-(

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shame, but at least the analog/digital models do have perpetual or 4 year calendars (I suspect that 4 year design will have a leap year in 2100, and perpetual wouldn't, but somehow that would be rather academic for me).

I quite like the looks of the Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel, but the lack of a perpetual or 4 year calendar is a negative. Fortunately I am quite happy with my Airwolf Raven (and my Citizen Skyhawk AT).

Hopefully the next generation of the Bulova Precisionist range will also have perpetual calendars (and more complications).

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Shame, but at least the analog/digital models do have perpetual or 4 year calendars (I suspect that 4 year design will have a leap year in 2100, and perpetual wouldn't, but somehow that would be rather academic for me).
I am afraid that might be a little different:

- annual calendars (like the aerospace) know the month but not the leap-year sequence; as such those will need a manual correction every 4 year on February 29th!

- perpetual calendar also know the leap year sequence as 0-1-2-3 so in those models you have no problem on leap years (as the aerospace above) and you only need to correct 3 times in 400 years; 2000 was not one of those special years but 2100, 2200 and 2300 are, and 2400 again will not need a correction;

- finally there are some millennial calendars which also know about that extra rule :-d (only one quartz caliber that comes to mind - Seiko 6M13).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am afraid that might be a little different:

- annual calendars (like the aerospace) know the month but not the leap-year sequence; as such those will need a manual correction every 4 year on February 29th!

- perpetual calendar also know the leap year sequence as 0-1-2-3 so in those models you have no problem on leap years (as the aerospace above) and you only need to correct 3 times in 400 years; 2000 was not one of those special years but 2100, 2200 and 2300 are, and 2400 again will not need a correction;

- finally there are some millennial calendars which also know about that extra rule :-d (only one quartz caliber that comes to mind - Seiko 6M13).

Pardon, but I think you may have meant once in 400 years with 2100,2400,2800.. being special years that do require correction.All other years be it 2000,2099,2101,2200,2399 needing no correction.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Pardon, but I think you may have meant once in 400 years with 2100,2400,2800.. being special years that do require correction.All other years be it 2000,2099,2101,2200,2399 needing no correction.
No, I meant precisely that - from the point of view of a 'normal' perpetual calendar which only knows if the year is a multiple of 4 you will have 2000 and 2400 seen as leap years (as they are) and automatically handled correctly - no correction of the watch needed!

However the same calibers will also see 2100, 2200, 2300 (and so on) also as leap years (which those are not), and will move from February 28 to February 29 - and then will need a manual correction of the watch with 24 hours forward to the correct March 1st! (that's also why you will see a lot of perpetual calendars described as correct until 2100! also note that very few digital models will allow for a manual correction and some will generally not work correctly after January 1st 2100 - since most will keep the year as 2 digits and always assume 00 is 2000 and assume the day of the week corresponding to 2000 which will be one 'day of the week' ahead :-d)

·
Registered
146 Posts
No, I meant precisely that - from the point of view of a 'normal' perpetual calendar which only knows if the year is a multiple of 4 you will have 2000 and 2400 seen as leap years (as they are) and automatically handled correctly - no correction of the watch needed!

However the same calibers will also see 2100, 2200, 2300 (and so on) also as leap years (which those are not), and will move from February 28 to February 29 - and then will need a manual correction of the watch with 24 hours forward to the correct March 1st! (that's also why you will see a lot of perpetual calendars described as correct until 2100! also note that very few digital models will allow for a manual correction and some will generally not work correctly after January 1st 2100 - since most will keep the year as 2 digits and always assume 00 is 2000 and assume the day of the week corresponding to 2000 which will be one 'day of the week' ahead :-d)
Yes,ofcourse i am fully aware of the plethora of watches that began using the 2100 in the description some 20 + years after the Synchronar 2100.It was also labeled"programmed for a century","100 year Calendar watch" and "fully automatic watch" but never Perpetual which can be misleading since it does not mean forever.When Intel was a small company they wanted the Synchronar chip design for it's (very unique at the time)Calendar.No deal was struck and they managed on their own some years later.Smart Calendar?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a big, long response composed, but lost it due to becoming logged out. No desire to redo the whole thing, but in a much more concise reply: since I won't be here in 2100, and it is doubtful that my watches will be fully functional at that time anyway for my heirs (the quartz crystals will probably have degraded, or suitable battery cells may not be available then), let alone further centuries into the millennium, either a four year cycle calendar or a "perpetual" design like the Citizen Skyhawk that uses a four digit year would meet my needs.

The accuracy ranking of my watch collection goes like this:
Citizen Skyhawk AT (solar power, perpetual calendar, atomic time accuracy)
Breitling Airwolf Raven (perpetual calendar, TC Quartz, but negative of battery every few years)
Bulova Precisionist Claremont (low spy variance, but no perpetual calendar and battery replacement)
Citizen Skyhawk (solar power, perpetual calendar, +/- 15 spm accuracy although past performance over the last 9 years has been better than theoretical range)
Campanola AH4000-01X GRAND COMPLICATION (perpetual calendar, +/- 15 spm accuracy, battery replacement)
Independent Black ITA21-5141 (+/- 15 spm accuracy, but no perpetual calendar and battery replacement)

Battery replacement is a negative because as the battery gets close to EOL the watch accuracy will probably drop, and once the battery dies, and until I can get a replacement the watch will only be correct twice a day for 1 second.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts