WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a dozen of mechanical/automatic Russian movement watches [Vostok / Vostok Europe (Koliz) / Sturmanskie, Aviator, Buran (Volmax)] and would like to try and buy my first fully Chinese (branded as Made in China, no European/US/Japanese brands) automatic watch:

• Men watch
  • Reliable
  • Solid and sturdy
  • Stainless steel
  • Power reserve is an option
  • No need for skeleton, chronograph, or tourbillon features
  • $100-$300

Which exact watch would you advise?
Is a Sea-Gull movement a must for a start?

Many thanks in advance for your contributions!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Most chinese watches outside of China are unfortunately non-chinese brands...i think Seagull is the only real chinese brand that sells outside of China, and the models they have are limited. Check out the US seagull site. They have gotten really expensive as of late though.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,645 Posts
I think most watches that are actually branded 'Made in China' or 'China Made' on the dial, tend to come from companies who are confident in their quality and would be able to match the quality from Vostok or Volmax. There are exception to the rule in the sub-$100 range. Sea-Gull is the obvious first choice due to availability. If you can find a modern Shanghai-branded watch, you won't be disappointed either.

My top pick for what you're after would be the new WuYi made for Sea-Gull USA. 100% Tianjin Sea-Gull with heaps of character and history. Check it out on this thread:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/welcoming-wuyi-new-year-630157.html

My next pick would be the Revolutionary series if you can find it:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/seagull-revolutionary-series-615851.html

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello,

I own a dozen of mechanical/automatic Russian movement watches [Vostok / Vostok Europe (Koliz) / Sturmanskie, Aviator, Buran (Volmax)] and would like to try and buy my first fully Chinese (branded as Made in China, no European/US/Japanese brands) automatic watch:

• Men watch
  • Reliable
  • Solid and sturdy
  • Stainless steel
  • $100-$300

It depends what "russian automatic movement" you mean.
Now there are only two russian automatic movements on the market - both from Vostok, 2416b and 2432, that is suposed to be upgraded and decorated in Hong Kong. That is it. Both are OK, 2432 being even nice decorated, however, it is not a league od old Poljot's 2616. Same manufacturing standards you can find in Sea Guls ST25 movement. It shares same construction of automatic windig system, same materials, and even beter finish of the plate edges and jewels nests. So if you are lookig for a best stanard of old soviet automatic - pick ST25. If you are satisfied with Vostok sandard - all DG/NN28 will be OK, Shanghai and Bejing standard movements as well will be OK. You have a wide choice my friend :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Wait there are only two russian automatic movements in use now? What happened to the poljot ones?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
So now Vostok is the ONLY producer of russian movements? I thought a brand called Zaria bought equipment to make Poljot movements...

What about brands like Moscow classic?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
They use Vostok movements, old stock Molniya movements and 3133 (and derivatives) produced by Maktime, but since the production of these has apparently stopped, only Vostok and Raketa remain (Raketa doesn't make any auto's or any movments for other manufacturers). Zaria is owned by Maktime, so it's fate is currently unknown...

·
Registered
347 Posts
1409, 2009, 3105, 3133 and derivatives - this is it for Mak Time.
2416, 2432, 2409 - thats it for Vostok.
Sad but true.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hello,

• Men watch
  • Reliable
  • Solid and sturdy
  • Stainless steel
  • $100-$300

I think not only Seagull movement, but a Seagull watch is a good start. For ~ $100+ You can take m177s (preferred) and m186s (if You accept a strange hack fuction of the movement).For $200 You can take Wuyi American SE. For ~ $250 You can take m172s (preferred than m171s) or some of D100 series.

Wuyi can be purchased at www.usseagull.com, the others - You can try Watches

1 - 11 of 11 Posts