WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I am looking for a new watch which I can wear with my formal/casual clothes. I have seen the Citizen Super Titanium watch (CA0201-51E) and it seems nice. I wanted to know if there are any with big dials (not super big ones) cause the current watch that i have (Tissot PRC-200) has a very small dial.

Watch gurus.. please help as i am kinda confused with so many options around :-s

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That Citizen is a somewhat bigger watch than the PRC-200 (42mm vs 40mm). That said, I wouldn't call the PRC-200 'very small', 40mm is a classic size, just kind of unfashionable right now.

There are bigger Citizens, and better ones. Depends what you want... chronographs don't really go with formal clothes, especially big chronographs. Think about what features you want and what level of formal you really want to go for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Andrew and dfl3506.

I am looking for a watch which is nice..goes well with casual and formal attire. I thought of titanium one cause it would be something different..as in not steel. i have also heard it doesn't get scratched easily.

Please suggest options.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Titanium is softer than steel and usually will scratch much more easily. That being said, this is "super" titanium so it might be more scratch resistant. I'd Google that one to be sure. It's still going to show wear though...

If you want serious scratch resistance, tungsten or ceramic are where it's at. They shatter much easily though, so it's a trade off of sorts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Titanium is softer than steel and usually will scratch much more easily. That being said, this is "super" titanium so it might be more scratch resistant. I'd Google that one to be sure. It's still going to show wear though...

If you want serious scratch resistance, tungsten or ceramic are where it's at. They shatter much easily though, so it's a trade off of sorts.
So if not titanium then which of the ones in eco drive should i buy?

I want to add a good one to my collection. :)

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
So if not titanium then which of the ones in eco drive should i buy?

I want to add a good one to my collection. :)
There's probably several hundred eco drives, I don't know how anyone could possibly answer your question. "Nice, and goes with formal or casual" is a very, very broad description. Why don't you just search Ebay for Citizen Eco Drive and see what's on offer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Like he said, there are so many styles to choose from, you need to narrow down your style preference first. Once you decide style preference them you can worry about what metal you want to get it in. I've even gone as far as looking at the European and Japanese citizen sites to see what offerings they have different then US. (DLC or super titanium) are often available outside of us.

You can also look at the other lines like Attesa or Exceed. I'm hoping to have an attesa in my hands by end if today that I've been trolling for over a year

I'm hoping to pick up my

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There's probably several hundred eco drives, I don't know how anyone could possibly answer your question. "Nice, and goes with formal or casual" is a very, very broad description. Why don't you just search Ebay for Citizen Eco Drive and see what's on offer.
I did check out and hence had the titanium eco drive in mind. Anyway..will have a look at other watch brands also before purchasing my watch. Thanx guys. :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Titanium does show surface wear, but it doesn't exactly scratch much... it's a strange material, but just be aware that no watch material is completely immune to showing some signs of wear over time. Stainless steel is good because it is possible to refinish and therefore remove most of those signs. Precious metals can be refinished almost perfectly, whereas titanium can't quite, depending on how the surface was treated. Black coated metal shows a lot of patina over time... don't buy a black case watch if you are concerned over this. Ceramics don't scratch, which is good, but they can chip, which cannot be repaired short of completely replacing the chipped part. Citizen use very few ceramics on men's watches (more on women's watches, because the only nice white materials for watch cases and bracelets are ceramics, either alumina or zirconium oxide).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Titanium does show surface wear, but it doesn't exactly scratch much... it's a strange material, but just be aware that no watch material is completely immune to showing some signs of wear over time. Stainless steel is good because it is possible to refinish and therefore remove most of those signs. Precious metals can be refinished almost perfectly, whereas titanium can't quite, depending on how the surface was treated. Black coated metal shows a lot of patina over time... don't buy a black case watch if you are concerned over this. Ceramics don't scratch, which is good, but they can chip, which cannot be repaired short of completely replacing the chipped part. Citizen use very few ceramics on men's watches (more on women's watches, because the only nice white materials for watch cases and bracelets are ceramics, either alumina or zirconium oxide).
Hey Andrew, am from Sydney too. Any good shops which you would recommend from where I should buy the watch in Sydney or Online is the best option?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hey

I am looking for a new watch which I can wear with my formal/casual clothes. I have seen the Citizen Super Titanium watch (CA0201-51E) and it seems nice. I wanted to know if there are any with big dials (not super big ones) cause the current watch that i have (Tissot PRC-200) has a very small dial.

Watch gurus.. please help as i am kinda confused with so many options around :-s
You didn't mention your price range. Citizen has tons of EcoDrives in nearly any imaginable configuration. Very tasteful stuff too, you don't see ugly Citizen watches. I'd offer a bit of advice in your shopping....if water resistance is important to you then pay close attention to the EcoDrives you are perusing. Not all the EcoDrives have good water resistance, especially the cheaper models. Great watches, yeah, but don't get those wet! On the other hand for less than $500 you can easily get a good looking Citizen with sapphire glass crystal, atomic clock sync, world time to many cities, etc.

Regarding Titanium I think it's a good looking metal for a watch/watchband. I've heard it scratches easily. On the other hand titanium watches are marvelously light. I found several Citizen titanium watches on Amazon.com . Here is a link to one of them that I thought looked pretty sharp, although it doesn't have world time/atomic sync.

Amazon.com: Citizen Men's CA0020-56E "Eco-Drive" Titanium Watch: Citizen: Watches

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey

so hello there how does this sound to you: Sapphire Crystal, Solar Power, Atomic and much more;​
this is are one of my next watches check them out size is also good 43mm
citizen.jpg (pics borrowed)
at9010-52e.jpg (pics borrowed)
here is a link
http://www.nywatchstore.com/citizenatomic.html

·
Registered
560 Posts
@mullaissak: I've got the one on bottom. Essentially those are the same watch with minor cosmetic differences. A very good watch, but I do find myself wearing my G-Shock more often.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey Andrew, am from Sydney too. Any good shops which you would recommend from where I should buy the watch in Sydney or Online is the best option?
Well, the range of Citizens available in Australia is a bit... odd. To take a look at some, though, Angus & Coote in the city have a decent range (they also have a lot of Seikos and other interesting watches). As for the more interesting models, you're probably going to have to look online. For example, the World Chronograph models are not really available here (I've seen one, of a range of about 12).

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Ecozilla and Nighthawk models seem to be the most iconic, and both are relatively affordable at about US$225. There is a Nighthawk appreciation thread here to keep you busy.

Ecozilla will hopefully be my Christmas gift this year, and I have a Nighthawk coming in the next few days... :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I actually think the iconic Citizens are the pilot watches; the Skyhawk, its big brother the Super Pilot, the Nighthawk as an affordable, and the World Chronograph pilot versions.

891929d1354338639-best-dial-work-under-$1000-_dsc3775-version-2.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
The BM8290-05E is quite nice, Titanium, people seem to hate the band. It's easily replaced, though a Nato is out of the question, I have had on for 2 years, and love it. You can get one nowadays for well under $100. A bargain. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts