Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Neptune Series 3

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking into purchasing a diver on the smaller side and these are my final choices for now. Any reason to go for one or the other?Also, im still open to other options that are better options overall.

Options that I have looked at so far:
Neptune Series 3
Maen Hudson 38mm Automatic Date
Islander 38mm ISL-20
Traska Freediver

Any thoughts/ opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! (please ignore the title on the poll)

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Maen is a very attractive watch. The proportions look just right to me. The hands and indices on the Islander seem too large for the size of the watch and dial.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I vote Neptune. I own the SII but will be trading up for the SIII hopefully in August. I don't think you can beat the styling, and with the SIII, I think it really strikes a balance between the SI and SII for the better. Plus, the Lorier team is fantastic to work with, and they have such an intentionality with their design decisions that's hard to quantify. I'm really happy with the Miyota 90S5 in my Falcon SII (same as what's in the Neptune now), for what that's worth.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have only recently been able to lay hands on a Lorier (Hydra) and have to say I am really impressed with what they are able to achieve for the price point. Weakest point was the engine (Seiko NH35 which I believe have been switched to Miyota 9XXX series in the new releases), which was easily regulated by me to within +1 spd. As mentioned by @blackcutlass, Lorier is a great company with purposeful design and integrity.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have been looking into purchasing a diver on the smaller side and these are my final choices for now. Any reason to go for one or the other?Also, im still open to other options that are better options overall.

Options that I have looked at so far:
Neptune Series 3
Maen Hudson 38mm Automatic Date
Islander 38mm ISL-20
Traska Freediver

Any thoughts/ opinions would be appreciated. Thanks! (please ignore the title on the poll)
I’m going to vote “other” & recommend Steinhart Ocean One 39mm. I think it’s much better than all of the ones you cited.
If you are willing to go to 41.8mm I will recommend Orient Kamasu.
For 41mm, I recommend Orient Mako2 or Ray2.
long standing favorites, tried & tested over time by many here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would vote for Neptune 1st and Maen 2nd.
Also check out the new watching coming out from Vaer. 39mm case with pretty nice looking case design.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The Orient line offers great entry level divers. They feel smaller than the 41-42mm sizing, I think in part to the sloping bezels and curved edges. Not the best bracelets, but that’s ok for a $100-$300 watch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m going to vote “other” & recommend Steinhart Ocean One 39mm. I think it’s much better than all of the ones you cited.
If you are willing to go to 41.8mm I will recommend Orient Kamasu.
For 41mm, I recommend Orient Mako2 or Ray2.
long standing favorites, tried & tested over time by many here.
Any particular reason you think its better?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Any particular reason you think its better?
Well, I’ve recommended 3 diff models.

you wrote “....think its better?” Any 1 particular model you want to know about?

In the meantime - all models I recommended have in production for a long time &most quality issues have been wrung out. Steinhart & Orient are longer established brands compared to Maen, Lorier.
and both Steinhart & Orient are going to be around for a long time to come. Orient is a sister brand to Seiko just FYI.
Plus there’s a huge fan base for all 3 models you can tap into.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

you wrote “....think its better?” Any 1 particular model you want to know about?

In the meantime - all models I recommended have in production for a long time &most quality issues have been wrung out. Steinhart & Orient are longer established brands compared to Maen, Lorier.
and both Steinhart & Orient are going to be around for a long time to come. Orient is a sister brand to Seiko just FYI.
I mean right now the 2 ones im looking at the most are the lorier and the Maen. Also another option could also be the ocean one after you recommended it. But i guess the Maen since thats the one I was closest to buying.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Plus there’s a huge fan base for all 3 models you can tap into.
It’s a shame that Orient keeps making large watches. I would kill for a Mako in 38mm

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I mean right now the 2 ones im looking at the most are the lorier and the Maen. Also another option could also be the ocean one after you recommended it. But i guess the Maen since thats the one I was closest to buying.
oh, ok. Well, it’s your money so I can’t tell you what to do but only recommend something.
To me Maen is too new to the market & was/is a Kickstarter project. Most of these die a quick death which would be bad for owners if you need watch parts. Very few Kickstarter projects succeed long term so keep that in mind. If they disappear in 1-2 years be prepared to swallow your loss & not cry.
Orient & Steinhart are well established & long over that hump. Number of models offered are plenty.
There are some Maen threads posted recently in the last 1-2 months. Have you read them?
personally Maen is too new for me to get close to but it’s your money.Good luck!
once you choose do let us know & post some pictures. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh, ok. Well, it’s your money so I can’t tell you what to do but only recommend something.
To me Maen is too new to the market & was/is a Kickstarter project. Most of these die a quick death which would be bad for owners if you need watch parts. Very few Kickstarter projects succeed long term so keep that in mind. If they disappear in 1-2 years be prepared to swallow your loss & not cry.
Orient & Steinhart are well established & long over that hump. Number of models offered are plenty.
There are some Maen threads posted recently in the last 1-2 months. Have you read them?
personally Maen is too new for me to get close to but it’s your money.Good luck!
once you choose do let us know & post some pictures. Thanks.
Actually, I decided on the lorier which I like a bit more overall. I’m probably ordering it tomorrow unless someone talks me out of it or gives me a better option. I’ll definitely upload photos

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Of the choices I'd go with the Neptune series 3. I like the improvements Lorier has made with the thickness. I'd go with the Maen Hudson, but I don't like the red accents on the hands and bezel. The Maen Hudson no date jet black doesn't have the red accents on the hands and bezel, but it seems that a date is a must for you.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just so people know, I went with the Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 600 basically new for $600 USD.
Good choice! In post 15 you wrote Lorier was your choice. Looks like you had a sudden change of heart...😉
can I ask what made you change your mind? Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not sure where they're at with the batches, but Zelos would be another option. Releases are very well priced initially. The Mako, Swordfish and one of their GMTs are all awesome from the look of them, and I've got two Mako's and can confidently recommend them. Plus their designs are all quite original, so no call backs to more expensive watches if that's something that bothers you.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts