WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which do you prefer, Domed or Flat Sapphire Crystal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering about others opinions. I have several watches with both and up until now I have thought I liked the domed sapphire crystal the best, but I do have a couple flat crystals especially with the 2x AR that look really amazing so I am warming to those as well. It is a little hard to photograph the differences and Yes, I know this pic of the mm200 with the flat crystal has only 1x AR, but I digress.

What do you like and why? Opinions....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a strong preference in individual cases based on the style of the watch, the composition of the dial and chapter ring, and other aesthetic factors.

·
Registered
31,298 Posts
Love the dome and the distortions it brings, just wish the Sub300t still had one.

Reactions: TheGanzman

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
"No Dome - Go Home!" Though a "boxed crystal" is a MOST acceptable alternative!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
to me, it's a design element that, as any other, should take into account the watch as a whole.
for example, on the ploprof comebacks or the planet oceans I can't see a boxed crystal making any sense, whereas, in case of the certina PH or longines LLD, anything but a boxed crystal would, I think, leave everyone wondering what the bid deal is over those

·
Premium Member
71,255 Posts
Overall I prefer a dome because I just don’t seem able to keep my fingerprints off a flat crystal. It’s by no means a deal breaker though.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Like others, I have a subjective preference in the abstract (flat sapphire, because thinness is a virtue).

And like others, in practice, it largely depends on the rest of the watch’s design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
About equal for me but with a mild preference for domed in the right watch. I like box crystals as well. For me, a bit of structural definition and interest is what I find compelling.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I'm an odd duck. I don't like distortion, nor lots of reflection. Seems counter intuitive for legible viewing of a time piece. If the dome is quality, real AR, I do like them, but my nicest visible watch had a flat crystal with very good AR treatment, and that was the most rewarding.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I have both. All though I do like the extra character a domed crystal may add to the watch, I really don't have a preference for either for my decision about a watch is based on its overall aesthetics.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Aesthetically I like boxed. Practically, a flat crystal is better for readability in a dive watch. I know domes are intended to reduce refraction, but the penalty you pay with added angles of reflection is not worth it IMO

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I like domed and boxed, in that order, but I will take a flat. I just like running my hands over the dome. It's very retro and I like old and new things.

But ultimately, it's the total package that I go for.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts