WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just checking your preference? i've always liked applied (roman numerals, arabic numerals and markers) but i'm now starting to lean towards the hand drawn numerals on enamel dials.

best examples i have to give are the ones below.

1.IMG_1678.jpg

D_IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

borrowed pic
201204071648124418.jpg

pic from blancpain.com
6613-3631-55B _front_850_850.jpg

feel free to add pics of your choice

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Applied, just has a more quality/substantive look to 'em . . .

Reactions: b.r.us302

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Enamel for sure, even though I think that the numerals/logo are not hand painted but printed through a transfer process, in the Blancpain case these elements are part of the dial, they were "baked" with the enamel dial at some point of the several firing stages and not painted after. Then there's some details, through the date window you can see how thick the dial is showing that it is a fired enamel dial instead of lacquered.

Unfortunately not my pic:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Applied all the way.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
For more formal watches, deffo painted. For more sporty watches, applied. For toolish watches, I've seen both work.

Please don't ask me to explain why I think this, because I have no answer other than "It's just what I think"

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Applied for sure. Adds a touch of quality and class. I always feel that painted looks cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,650 Posts
Big vote for applied. Give the dial more interest and some additional depth.

Two examples:

_KD19458_zps49d3fbd2.jpg

20150709_133807 a.jpg

Thanks again to Leicashot for his amazing pic.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Roman numeral

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Enamel for sure, even though I think that the numerals/logo are not hand painted but printed through a transfer process, in the Blancpain case these elements are part of the dial, they were "baked" with the enamel dial at some point of the several firing stages and not painted after. Then there's some details, through the date window you can see how thick the dial is showing that it is a fired enamel dial instead of lacquered.

Unfortunately not my pic:

i stand corrected. i couldn't figure out if it was hand painted or not. it does make sense that the numerals would be transferred rather than painted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'll cop out and say that it depends. I love some watches with applied details (Grand Seiko and Datejust for example) but in other watches I prefer printed/painted. Many Nomos watches for instance would just look goofy with applied details (Tangente, Metro, Club, Lambda) and I think the old 6610/1016 Rolex Explorers with printed (painted?) dials are superior to the new one with applied numerals in every way, shape, and form. The Grand Seiko watches though just look right with applied hour markers as do many Patek Calatravas. It all depends on the overall execution of the watch so I can't settle on a blanket statement.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Applied roman for formal dress watches. Applied arabic for everything else. My true favorite is the sandwich dial on Panerai's though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts