WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has probably been covered before, but I'm sure it'll be fun to talk about again. Of course, every G has a long list of features and I've been a little surprised at which ones have turned out to be very important to me. There are also a couple that just make me scratch my head and say "huh?". Being a one G Shock guy (for now), I'll be referencing the features of my AWG-100.

Essential to life:

Atomic Timekeeping/DST Indicator - Seriously, how did we ever live without this??? If nothing else, just being able to wake up on those two Sunday mornings each year when the time changes and know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what time it is makes this watch worth the price.

Tough Solar - These two features together mean that I never have to worry about/fuss around with my watch. It's always right. It always works. I guess it helps that I live in a part of the world where we receive an atomic signal and it's sunny about 330 days each year.

Pre-Programmed Calendar With Digital Day/Date Window - I've had some analog watches that had the always wrong date window. What's the point? The calendar on my G is good to go until I'm 120 years old.

Countdown Timer - I usually keep my countdown set to four minutes because I make my coffee in a French press. I've also found it useful for portioning study time, practice time, etc.

Hourly Signal - When I'm really busy, it keeps me aware of where I am in my schedule.

Cool, but Non-Essential:

Shock/Water Resistance - Blasphemy, I know. G Shock's defining characteristics aren't that important to me. It's nice to know that I could go jump in a lake, or slam my wrist against a wall, but I generally don't do those things.

Stop Watch - I might use it every now and then, but I just don't need a stop watch all that often.

Alarm - It's certainly not loud enough to wake me up. I might use it once in a while to remind me to do something at a certain time, but I usually use my phone for that.

Dual Time - If I traveled more, it would be great. The dual time in the digital window is really cool. However, in dual time mode, it's too easy to bump the "Forward" button while reaching into my pocket or tucking in my shirt, and switch to a different time zone. This happened several times while traveling with my WVQ-400 and was very irritating.

Huh???

Multi-Band Indicator - Why do I have a digital window dedicated to nothing other than telling me where my atomic signal came from??? This info could pop up, along with the date and time, when I check the last received signal. It's really not the kind of information that I need to have in front of me 24/7. And, if I'm not entirely sure whether I'm in the US, UK, Germany or Japan, I've got problems a watch ain't gonna fix.

LED Light - I'm glad that I can find out what time it is in the dark, but the single six o'clock LED is a terrible way to light up an ana/digi face.

That's all I have to say about that. I'd love to hear some of you multi-sensor owners chime in! DW

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Atomic Timekeeping/DST Indicator - Seriously, how did we ever live without this???
Easily, and mostly I still do... I don't mind it, but my favourite watches don't have it.

Tough Solar
Ditto.

Pre-Programmed Calendar With Digital Day/Date Window
Handy but not essential.

Countdown Timer
Core requirement, preferably 24-hour.

Hourly Signal
I always have it turned off.

Shock/Water Resistance
It's the point of a G-Shock. They wouldn't be called G-Shock otherwise. ;-)

Stop Watch
More essential than a countdown timer.

Alarm
I think of them as 'alerts' rather than alarms and hardly ever use them.

Dual Time
Extremely useful, world time even more so. One of the real benefits of digital timekeeping.

Multi-Band Indicator
Not required on the main display.

LED Light
Occasionally useful, but it would take me a long time to notice if it broke.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Time and Day. I've had a head injury, so I can lose track of time. Multifunction alarms to help remind me of appointments. Light. Water resistance and shock resistance.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,272 Posts
Time, 24hr Chrono, Alarm, bulb/EL/LED, without these, I would go with mechanical watches instead :p

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Essential:
Time and Date
Good backlight
Stopwatch
Countdown Timer (would like multiple interval timers)
Waterproof
Shockproof (I'm tough on watches)

That's it. I like solar/atomic, but not essential.

Jay

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Must have:

Water resist: I swim in all my Gs regularly
CDT: most used function on all my Gs as i'm a coach and we run practices by timed segments
Time/date: obviously time and I often refer to my watch when writing the date on anything.

Live without:
Hourly signal: Always turn this off
Solar: I know how to change a battery and they last 10 yrs
Atomic: Don't care if my watch is off by a few seconds and I sync them once a month.
Data Bank: I use my cell phone to store numbers, however, I do put my wife's number in the watch in case I don't have my phone. (yes, I can't remember her number!)

·
Registered
20,576 Posts
I can't live without the band on my G, without it I couldn't wear the watch :p

After the band I think I like the Auto EL.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
must:

auto-calendar til 2099 -

i can't remember what day it is half the time, due to playing in clubs until 5am a lot of nights and a second part time job that usually never starts until the afternoon. i love knowing that even 5 years from now, it'll know the correct day, date, time, and DST. i used to lose my sh** over analogs that were wrong every month because each month had different amounts of days. no more!

200m water resist -

i dont care if i scuba dive or not, its essential because i dont even pause to think about worrying over the watch, i can ignore it getting wet if its 20bar resist. rain, dishes, swimming, sweat, beer spills, water guns, showers, who cares? the important things are the ones you dont have to think about anymore, this is a big one for me.

backlight/auto EL -

same thing; half the time i dont get up until 3 in the afternoon, sometimes as late as 5 in the evening. most of my life is spent at night. if i had to use my zippo every time i wanted to check my wrist, i'd quit wearing a watch and just check my phone.

hourly time signal -

one of my favorite things in the world, as crazy as this sounds from a watch collector on a watch forum, is NOT knowing what time it is. this makes the hourly chime essential; bear with me, i promise im not crazy. if you are at a point in your day where school or work or family or appointments are not an immediate concern, it is a wonderful feeling to purposely waste your time, a luxury many busy people dont have, much less enjoy as much as i do. when i know for sure that i can stare at the ceiling all afternoon and it wont impact my life, i can let myself completely forget that time even exists. the hourly chime lets me know that another hour has passed, and at that moment i feel the completion of an entire hour that i stole for myself. i can then immediately forget the time again, for another 59 minutes. it makes a lazy day feel much more full without actually doing more. plus, when you ARE busy, it helps keep you on task knowing how much you have accomplished in an hour's time.

it also has another use: i set my most accurate watch to my computer time by the second (i dont own any atomics), and then set all my other watches by that first watch. an hour after i do this, there is a perfect chorus of b-b-b-b-b-b-b-beep-ep-ep-ep-ep-ep!!! as they all sing the time. as the month progresses, the hourly beeps start to separate. over a 2 week period, you can instantly hear which runs fast or which is losing time as the beeps get further apart. you now have a perfect pecking order of which watches are most accurate in which order.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Essential:
Protection - I mean the bezel design that raises to protect the crystal. Prior to using G-shock, my old watches all have scratch on the crystals. My Citizen nighthawk got a chip on it after some use. I hardly see heavy scratch on G's crystal even on old used watches from ebay. The word protection on the watch really keeps its promise.

Atomic sync is essential too. I must have at least one G with this feature to maintain accurate time. Other non-atomic sync watches can be set to this one.

The world time is also essential for me. Especially with dual time display.

Non-essential features
Altimeter /temperature? Hardly use it. The compass will be more useful IMO. I'll wait for GW-9300 price to come down and get one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Time / Date obvious

1. Shockproof / waterproof (I don't dive but hitting the water at 30mph kitesurfing puts a huge pressure hit on the watch - I knackered a polar HRM doing this)
2. Alarm / Alert - used to wake up (if kids dont by 7am) and set for daily meetings - a 9am, 10:30am - thanks goodness there are 5 - easy to toggle on and off.
3. Solar Powered
4. Atomic timekeeping - a nice feature - no more syncing (I am a bit anal about exact time)
5. Stopwatch - for sports I generally have a HRM on but good for timing regular commute cycling etc ....
6. Good looks - maybe this should be no 1

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
actually, the way i've been lately, my screwdriver and tweezers are the g-shock related bits i couldn't do without.

never met a g-shock i didnt want to take apart :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Leaving out my Casio PAW2000 which I use as my multi-feature watch, the things I appreciate about my Casio GW3000’s (two) and my GS1300 which are both analog watches are:

Solar Power

Dual time at a glance

Perpetual Calendar

Atomic Synchronizing

My other favorite watches are Luminox F-117 6201, and three LUM-TEC watches with the Swiss ETA 2824-2 automatic movement.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
To be honest I can care less about the Atomic time feature. Time & Date is what I use them for the most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts