WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the best Seiko 62mas homage (excluding Seiko's own recent homage of it)?

There are homages by Heimdallr, San Martin, Fifty-Four, Armida etc.

Which is the best in your view for things like build quality, fit and finish, durability, water resistance, value for money, etc?

·
Registered
52 Posts
San Martin is overall very good quality, but I think they do the MM300 better than the 62MAS (I have both + the Seiko ones). You can see a picture of the two 62mas together (Seiko and San Martin) on this page : SEIKO HOMAGES

Fifty-four quality is below the San Martins, I would not try their 62mas; I have a MM300 from them, it looks fine as long as you do not touch the bezel or look too close...

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
:unsure: Hmmmmm, best knockoff with highest quality lipstick, :confused:.
Ehh, not really a knockoff if it is in a color that Seiko never made, etc.

A "knockoff," to me is an exact copy of the original. In this case, with Seiko on the dial in an attempt to make folks think it's the real deal.

A "homage" is similar in style, but with improvements such as a better motor, sapphire crystal when the original did not, better WR locking crown than the original, etc.

6105 homages, in particular, are a great example. I've owned several originals, still have a modded original with original case, crown and motor. The Timefactors homage, which I own, is a far superior watch than the original. The original had a single click locking crown that was decent for its day, and a motor that wasn't all that good. In essence, it was a cheap PX watch, nothing more.

I love the 6105 case even more that the 6309 (Turtle) case, and I have four Turtles. I have a Dagaz 6105-style case with snowflake hands instead of the original styles, a Steelcase bronze 6105 and a no logo bronze San Martin 6105. They are all technically better watches than the original in terms of WR, crystal, crown, lume and motor. Seiko never made a bronze 6105, so no knockoff there.

I have, to get back to the 62 MAS, a San Martin with a no logo metallic green dial and ceramic bezel. Certainly not the original, but better crystal, bezel, motor, incredible lume, etc. Nice looking homage, no attempt at a perfect imitation with a phony "Seiko" on the dial, so not a knockoff.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I know this wasn't the question, but I prefer the SPB051/53 etc to any of these clone watches, honestly. They are now ~$500 or sometimes even less on the used market, so they aren't that much more money, and they are ISO certified genuine dive watches with sapphire crystals and superior finishing and build. Take out the Tuna hands and put in proper stick hands, and they look quite nice.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I prefer the SPB051/53 etc to any of these clone watches, honestly. They are now ~$500 or sometimes even less on the used market, so they aren't that much more money, and they are ISO certified genuine dive watches with sapphire crystals and superior finishing and build.
+1
a preowned SPB051 at $500 or less is one of the best bang for buck Seiko range of dive watch with a 6R movement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts