WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I found it to be a great read.
+1 on that. M4tt certainly knows his stuff and is generous in sharing his knowledge. Thanks for that!

I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes ignore or dismiss the vintage stuff around here. That's not because I don't think it is cool. But because of the limited availability and my uncertainty about how find/buy authentic vintage watches, I simply pay less attention than I should. But M4tt write-up is a superb argument to pay more attention to vintage pieces because of the quality of the automatic movements.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Thanks to all who have been so kind about my opinions, however I wasn't complaining about not being appreciated, I was merely irked by the OP's behaviour.

Ultimately this is a bit of a 'Karma' number, as i suspect that there will not be many jumping to answer his questions with more than a couple of lines in future.

Ultimately the health of any forum comes down to the degree that people are prepared to put the effort in. When too many take and not enough give a forum slowly dies. I'm rather fond of this forum and so try to put a bit in when I have a spare moment. At the moment I don't really have the time to treat WUS Omega as a social venue but I still value those who can be bothered to ask and answer good questions in the best spirit.

Talking of Spirits, here's another beautiful old movement that would cost a fortune new today but that can be picked up for less than a good pizza.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Talking of Spirits, here's another beautiful old movement that would cost a fortune new today but that can be picked up for less than a good pizza.
Where would one find a movement like this? What sort of watch would it be in? Do you get most of your on ebay, or are there other more reliable and consistent sources?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Come on M4tt-a bit more self awareness please? You have a brilliant mind and a sharp wit that is, as far as I can tell, pretty much unrivaled here. (sorry-no lack of genius from many forum members here but m4 possesses a slightly twisted savoir faire that is just..well, uniquely his). I get the "give and take" part and g-d knows your answers are complete, precise, and well constructed. But you know you can be a bit intimidating for - lets say-someone without your literary skill and deep appreciation for sardonic wit?

Maybe I'm just having a karmic flashback to a long ago post where I, a relative newb, left my humility in the can and tried to go toe-to-toe with equal flair and aplomb with you. And I utterly failed.

I have come to appreciate your most intensive and thorough posts as not only studious and very generous but often imbued with tiny universal flashes of brilliance. Like the starry case-back of a constellation. But then it is always a bit lonely at the top. You have to forgive the little folks. This forum would be all the more poor with only short concise posts from you. Leave those for those in need of a good editor.

·
Registered
371 Posts
M4tt and others,

Can I take it that the glowing comments about c.2500 would equally apply to c.2403? My understanding is that the only difference is the exclusion of the date wheel. Are they otherwise equals in reliability and accuracy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
M4tt I would like to thank you for enlighting us with your information and knowledge. Thank you for educating me with automatic Omegas. That was truly awesome!!!!!

Nico;-)

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
M4tt I would like to thank you for enlighting us with your information and knowledge. Thank you for educating me with automatic Omegas. That was truly awesome!!!!!

Nico;-)
While most who post here are current model owners, I believe M4tt is exclusive vintage. He, Desmond (mondodec), and a few others can always be counted on for excellent vintage guidance. Keep coming back...you'll learn a lot more from M4tt's posts that are enlightening, entertaining, and may periodically have nothing to do with watches.

BTW, I agree with his 564/751 pick.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
While most who post here are current model owners, I believe M4tt is exclusive vintage.
I wouldn't say I was exclusively vintage, in Omega, I have a Perpetual Calender Constellation Double Eagle, an Aqua Terra, a Seamaster Professional, and a 2006 Speedmaster. Outside of Omega, this 'dinner plate' of a Seiko 'tool watch' is currently getting a lot of wrist time and has knocked the 34mm AirKing off the wrist currently:

It has the all new (and rather splendid) Seiko 4R15 movement - which I am enjoying just as much as the 6r15 and sports a a style that is brashly modern in a rather attention grabbing way while clearly giving the impression of being very hard to break!

Vintage, new, quartz, hummer, handwind. You name it, I like it!:-! Thanks for the compliments, but I'm not sure I deserve them, I just like watches!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think this is a great thread so a bump is appropriate.

I wonder why no one is calling for the cal. 321? Is it because it is not seen as an Omega movement but a Lemania one? Also, what is the thoughts about the cal. 1040?

In my collection I have a 321, a 1040 and a cal. 1620 (quartz, late 70s) so that is why I am asking.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I think this is a great thread so a bump is appropriate.

I wonder why no one is calling for the cal. 321? Is it because it is not seen as an Omega movement but a Lemania one?
Umm no, it's because it is handwind...

Also, what is the thoughts about the cal. 1040?
Personally I think it is one of the best and most underrated calibres from Lemania. I am always astonished that people prefer the 5100.

In my collection I have a 321, a 1040 and a cal. 1620 (quartz, late 70s) so that is why I am asking.
That's an impressively focussed Speedmaster collection (or not!)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Umm no, it's because it is handwind...

Personally I think it is one of the best and most underrated calibres from Lemania. I am always astonished that people prefer the 5100.

That's an impressively focussed Speedmaster collection (or not!)
Sorry. Forgot that the thread deals with automatics.

Could you please explain why the 1040 is an underestimated movement?

Regarding my collection I think that I include a wide range of the name Speedmaster, considering that I only have three watches (105.003, Mk III and a 185.0005 in gold filled.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I came across this thread while Googl'ing for "best omega calibre". I saw M4tt's post and decided to check out the corresponding vintage models at Omega's official vintage database. However, there is a problem: among the calibres that M4tt mentioned, the 1040 is the only one with one exact match in the "Calibre number" filter of the search page. All the other ones have multiple similar entries. To see what I mean, click on "SHOW MORE FILTERS" on that page, and you'll see a drop-down box for "Calibre number". Inside, there are multiple entries that seem related. I have grouped them by apparent relationship below:

• 564:
    • 561 / 564
  • 565:
    • 562 / 565
    • 563 / 565
  • 30 T2:
    • 30 SC T2
    • 30 T2
    • 30 T2 PC AM
    • 30 T2 RG
    • 30 T2 RS
    • 30 T2 SC
    • 30 T2 SC RG

So I have 3 questions:
  1. How are they related, if at all? E.g. between "561 / 564" and "564".
  2. Which ones are the "correct" ones that I should look for?
  3. Similarly, when you talk about the newer 8500 calibre, do you mean only the exact 8500 or do you include 8501, 8507, 8520, 8521? Again, how, if at all, are they related?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
  1. How are they related, if at all? E.g. between "561 / 564" and "564".
They are families of movements that share the same basic design and some spares compatibility (most of the time). The 30T2 (thirty series family) goes all the way into a new numbering system and so is also the 26x and the 28x. Personally I'd say that the 285 and the 268 are the best of the series as they have all of the improvements,including a modern glycadur balance, but retain the peerless Breguet overcoil hairsping. I have a couple of these and they are as stable as almost anything made today. Try to get one with a screwback case and you will not be dissapointed.

1. Which ones are the "correct" ones that I should look for?
That really depends what you are looking for and what you want to pay. The chronometer versions will usually command the premium as will complications like date. Personally if you are looking for a decent every day watch and don't know too much I'd go for a Geneve without a date everytime. They are simple to fix, not faked or frankened very often and have the same splendid movements as their pricier cousins.

1. Similarly, when you talk about the newer 8500 calibre, do you mean only the exact 8500 or do you include 8501, 8507,
    8520, 8521? Again, how, if at all, are they related?
Same family again.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
M4tt is correct on all counts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hello everyone,

New to this forum, but love to learn about vintage Omega's.

Was happy to learn so much so far and eager to learn more :)

But my question today is what about the 550 movement?

What is the general consensus on that movement in the same terms of the discussion above/so far? Is it "as good" as the 56x series, or is it clearly "inferior", etc... and I ask because I have an opportunity to buy one from around 1970 (still trying to confirm date) and would like to learn a bit more about before I commit.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a '64 cal 550. Look up Desmond's (mondodec) website, he wrote some articles about that series.

As far as I know (and someone correct me if necessary) it's a very venerable caliber that led to the development of some of the classic Omega calibers. It may rank slightly below the more famous 56x, if I'm not mistaken.

Hello everyone,

New to this forum, but love to learn about vintage Omega's.

Was happy to learn so much so far and eager to learn more :)

But my question today is what about the 550 movement?

What is the general consensus on that movement in the same terms of the discussion above/so far? Is it "as good" as the 56x series, or is it clearly "inferior", etc... and I ask because I have an opportunity to buy one from around 1970 (still trying to confirm date) and would like to learn a bit more about before I commit.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
The 55x series is simply the 56x series without a date. As such there is less to go wrong but everything I said about the 56x is true of the 55x (and for that matter, of the 75x which is basically a 56x with a day date. Obviously the 24 jewel versions are the ones to go for.

Personally I still prefer handwind watches as there is even less to go wrong.

IMHO, the best watch movement ever built is the Omega 268 and 285. Just because.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts