WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
M4tt, I've read this thread for the first time, over the last couple of days, with some enthusiasm over your comments on the 2500 movement. Thanks for that.

I would like to know the details of any watchmaker that you could recommend who could cast their expert eye over my watch, with this movement, in order to get it running 'sweeter' than it already does.

I live in the Southwest UK.

Feel free to PM me details if you deem more appropriate, but I am sure other members would also welcome this information.

Many thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The 55x series is simply the 56x series without a date. As such there is less to go wrong but everything I said about the 56x is true of the 55x (and for that matter, of the 75x which is basically a 56x with a day date. Obviously the 24 jewel versions are the ones to go for.

Personally I still prefer handwind watches as there is even less to go wrong.

IMHO, the best watch movement ever built is the Omega 268 and 285. Just because.
How would you compare the 285/286 to the Longines 12.68 (N, Z or SC) or the Lemania 3000/3040/3050/3060?

I have been looking at the Longines 12.68 and the finish is remarkable. Also, I just bought an old Lemania vith a 3000 and that movement is also greatly finished.

·
Registered
472 Posts
IMHO, the best watch movement ever built is the Omega 268 and 285. Just because.
Wow, thats a great endorsement.... but do be sure I understood you correctly: when you say the "best watch movement ever", did you mean within Omega? Or "best ever" considering all makes and all models?

Thanks again!

a.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think everyone here can endorse how great their calibre is, which only shows how Omega has made some great time pieces throughout the years and will continue to make great watches. I myself only own two Seamaster's, both of which are 2500D calibre's. My PO is a year old and keeps a consistant +2sec a day where my newer Seamaster was purchased on Feb. 23 of this year, has not gained or lost a second in that entire time! No word of a lie! I couldn't ask for anything more accurate!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very interesting and informative thread. I have been hesitant to consider vintage watches but the info here is making me rethink that. Thank you very much to all the posters, especially M4tt, for such thorough and thoughtful postings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How do I find out which auto's 55X and the 56X are the chronometer versions, adjusted to five positions? Is there a model number that identifies them as chronometers or ? Are the 24 jewels versions the same thing?

Thanks to the ones who have posted (M4tt..etc), it's been a great read and very informative.

Cheers

·
Registered
472 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the 564 was certified. The 565 was not, but not because it wouldn't meet the standard, but because it just wasn't sent in.

In fact, I thought I read in the forum that given the relationship of the variations of the 56x series, that most likely they'd all pass.

But again, I'm not 100% sure, just going by memory...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

It's interesting that the more complicated movements of 56x with the date option is mentioned and referred more often than the 55x's for accuracy, you would think the non date movt. would more be reliable due being less complicated. My observations maybe totally wrong and like you said that Omega may have only submitted certain movt's but I'm curious what members opinion, experience and observations are?

You mention that most likely all the 56x's could pass the 5 position test. Even the 563? I hear very little about this movement compared to the touted 562 & 564.

Happy Labor Day ('13) to my fellow members.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Apologize for resurrecting a well-beaten horse. Just got my gold "linen" dialed, cal. 564-powered Constellation (gold filled case - ref. 168.018) back from a service. It's been keeping fantastic time ... less than a second gained in the last 24 hours. Have had similar experiences with the cal. 55x/56x family of movements on a couple of other examples, an indicator of what Omega was capable of in the '50s/'60s.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Apologize for resurrecting a well-beaten horse.
We're talking about movements over 50 years old, so discussing a thread a couple of years old should be ok :)

And yes, when I contributed to this I was referring to my 565, and still working flawlessly. The 50s and 60s indeed were a great era for Omega.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Here's the beaut ...

Over 48 hours, and still less than +/- 1s off ... astonishing!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I read an article last night comparing Rolex and Omega movements and the author was of the opinion that the best Omega movement ever made was the 1120. He is not a fan of the coaxial escapement either.
Who Makes a Better Movement - Rolex or Omega?
This is an opinion piece without any technical merit so take it for what that is worth. More like "shock jock" stuff.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts