WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I personally find the 8601 in my watch to be absolutely beautiful.. plus the annual calendar complication and quick-advance date change are pretty awesome in my opinion :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got to say after after having more than several nice Omega's, My 564 chronometer version is simply awesome even after 20 years of daily use. Actually I have several 56X's & 55X's.

The 30T2-RG is also really nice, while not an auto it is still in it's own right extremely capable and reliable. What I love about it, is that it will sit for months at a time in the drawer over many years but once wound and on wrists it performs as it did in the late 40's. The 30t2-rg watches also have the feel and presence of the classic watch that we all love and for me, is the reason why I first started my love for watches.

But my 564 and my other 55X's and 56X's are awesome. Compared to my non-Omega's, these simply keep plugging away when wearing regularly, never having to wind them or needing to re-adjust the time. I'm blown away how well they keep time. What more could you ask for?

A lot of people seem to think that the 2500 & 8500 movts. are the best and they may very well be but they have yet proven their test to age like the movts. mentioned above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From a personal point of view I prefer the 751 and the 565 for the simple reason that they are almost identical and yet still rationally affordable. So, why would I say that the 564 is the overall best movement Omega have ever made, and how do I defend myself from the assertion that I am simply being nostalgic?

First, it is simply beautiful:

Second, it is easy to regulate. the Swan Neck regulation system is both lovely to look at, devastatingly effective and simple to use.

Third, it is simple to repair; an elegant, no nonsense design which is precisely as complex as it needs to be and no more. The regulator (above) exemplifies this; remove the swan neck and you are left with a simple 'stick' regulation. All the Swan Neck regulator is is a spring (the swan neck) and a screw. The spring pushes the 'stick' firmly against the screw ensuring that any adjustment that is made to the screw is transmitted directly to the stick. Thus a simple watchmaker's screwdriver is all that is needed to make incredibly fine adjustment. Simple, beautiful and very precise.

Did I mention that it is beautiful?
It's amazing that over 10 years later this still rings true. I have just recently acquired a Seamaster dating at '65 and lord knows how long it's been sitting idle, the condition was near perfect despite the small amount of corrosion spots on the dial. I started wearing it and at first it was off the first day or two by -10 to -15 seconds a day but by the weeks end, a stable -5 seconds a day. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me. I've heard of Chronographs with larger deviations. And as M4tt said.... "Did I mention that it is beautiful?" This is one of my most favorite time pieces ever, besides my Mid 1800 grandfather clock in my dining room.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What a treasure trove of information this old thread is!

I completely agree with M4tt, the 5xx movements have to be among Omega’s greatest. I have a 561 in my Pie Pan, and I love that watch!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts