WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been regulating a few of my Seikos recently. A lot of hit-and-miss, obviously.

Well, as the title sez: that's my dilemma. And I am kinda getting tired of cracking open the back for the nth time.
I got four to -2 a day. Dang it!!
And then I got two at +15 day. OK, I can live with that. Not worth the risk of fiddling one more time and have them turn out -15 a day. Done that a few times already. Doh!

I like the idea (or self-deception) that maybe I *could* get the slower ones to go a little faster by, I dunno, picking my nose more vigorously, more often using my left hand or som'm? :roll:

But the idea of 'watch running slow = being late to somewhere sooner or later' is also eating me up.
What to do....? o|

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
A watch that is running fast is easier/quicker to correct via hacking the second hand. If it is slow you have to adjust the minute hand too.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Troo dat. Unless I set the slower ones ahead by a minute to start with. Ugh.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Are you factoring in positional variation? You might be able to bring them closer to zero with dial up overnight since it's so close already.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd take minus two. I hate it when watches run slow, but fifteen is just too much for me. Frankly, I'm very annoyed if my watches aren't under a second a day.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
90% of my appointments are not exactly pleasant, but the consequences of being late to them would be even less so.
For the most part, utterly gaseous in content but held in great piety by those to whom they concern.

Oh! the nagging, the whining, the whole pettiness, the sissyness ... I mean my colleagues, not my wife!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am measuring it with the crown down - the fast side - since when I wear it it will be in this position.
It runs -4 when lying on their backs.
It's driving me KUR RAY ZEE!!

·
Banned
626 Posts
Where's the problem, Chrono? Give the watch to a good watchmaker to regulate. Depending on your relationship with them they charge between 0 and $40. Totally worth it. -2 on the fast side is good in principle but not in practice. I also have two watches that a slightly slow -1 to -2. I will give them away to be worked at soon. If you can live with it, wait till they get regular maintenance and then make it a point to say you want them to run in the plus but not by more than 4s or whatever your personal limit is.

+15 is totally unacceptable. It shouldn't be too difficult to regulate that down by ten seconds.

What are the watches?

·
Banned
53 Posts
90% of my appointments are not exactly pleasant, but the consequences of being late to them would be even less so.
For the most part, utterly gaseous in content but held in great piety by those to whom they concern.

Oh! the nagging, the whining, the whole pettiness, the sissyness ... I mean my colleagues, not my wife!
Forget watches. I'd invest in medication. And flowers (for the wife).

·
Banned
53 Posts
Where's the problem, Chrono? Give the watch to a good watchmaker to regulate. Depending on your relationship with them they charge between 0 and $40. Totally worth it. -2 on the fast side is good in principle but not in practice. I also have two watches that a slightly slow -1 to -2. I will give them away to be worked at soon. If you can live with it, wait till they get regular maintenance and then make it a point to say you want them to run in the plus but not by more than 4s or whatever your personal limit is.

+15 is totally unacceptable. It shouldn't be too difficult to regulate that down by ten seconds.

What are the watches?
Well, watches also take some time to "settle down". I'd recently acquired a vintage Seamaster that was off by about +10s/day, but after about a week of regular wear, went down to +6-7s/day. Ditto for a few others. Unlike most other things in life, watches can sometimes get better with regular use.

·
Banned
626 Posts
I know that and he probably knows that, too, given that he is already regulating his own watches. ;)

But the one about flowers and medication was good. It's so much nicer when one is not OCD. What medication do you recommend? ;)

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
M. Montaigne - is your moniker taken after Michel? My favorite "teacher."

Yeah, I am being impatient, like some cranky kid who wants his toys NOW - I do need to let the watches run for a while.

Alex - these are some cheap Seikos I got from ebay. I got them bcz half the fun of watches like these is "regulating" them yourself - makes ya feel all "techy" and stuff, like you "know" something about watches. Yeah, right. Me, my loupe, and my toothpick :D

·
Banned
53 Posts
I know that and he probably knows that, too, given that he is already regulating his own watches. ;)
Quite. I meant after regulating them, that is. I occasionally regulate mine, and wear them for a week or so to let them settle down. Sometimes, they pick back up, and sometimes not.

But the one about flowers and medication was good. It's so much nicer when one is not OCD. What medication do you recommend? ;)
Depends. Meds are like lawyers -- what can you afford?

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Quite. I meant after regulating them, that is. I occasionally regulate mine, and wear them for a week or so to let them settle down. Sometimes, they pick back up, and sometimes not.

Depends. Meds are like lawyers -- what can you afford?
That's very interesting. Why do you think that regulation requires a new settling in period?

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
I know many will disagree with me, but I'd rather have 2 seconds slow than 15 seconds fast. I can live with 2 seconds either way than 15 either way. I also tend to show up early for all appointments. So a watch that slow would not be an issue for me at all.

·
Registered
19,846 Posts
The closest to zero is the best, be it neg. or pos.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Clearly, -2 seconds sounds best when justifying splurging money on a mechanical watch.

Though this doesn't really come into play for me as I rarely wear the same watch 2 days in a row. Every morning I wind the watch of the day and set it accordingly. I don't even bother to set it to the second, as long as it's right to the minute I don't care. I have a hard time figuring out a situation where to the second precision is required in my day-to-day life.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Either would drive me insane since I try to get everywhere exactly one second ahead of the US atomic clock. It works out well with elevators coming exactly when I call them, traffic lights always working the same way, nothing ever varying in my world, and because everyone else is also using atomic time.

I prefer my watches to be fast (though I would love it if they were dead on) just because it is easier to set, I rarely wear mine for more than two days and set every morning so 15-20 seconds is fine, especially given that all of the clocks in the building I work in vary by as much as 10 minutes.

Reactions: khj94704
1 - 20 of 39 Posts