Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Union Glashutte

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just an exercise in fun and pretty self-explanatory. Glashutte watchmakers are recommended all the time here, but they're rarely put up against one another due to differences in style and especially price. So I figured it'd be nice to have a casual poll to see which one is biggest fan favorite (and to what degree).

I have a feeling ALS will run away with it, but just the same please try to keep value in perspective - it should be pretty obvious a $50,000 Datograph will have a nicer movement over a $5,000 Zurich ;-)

Edit: As a follow-up, I'd like to apologize for leaving some brands out and not including an "other" option in the poll. At least with Hemess and Moritz Grossman, I can honestly say I haven't heard of them until now. But forgetting Tutima was a huge brain-fart - I love their Grand Classics, especially in red. If anyone knows a way to modify a poll after it's been created, please gimme a PM and I'll be sure to throw in the extra names.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Far and away ALS for me; the Zeitwerk and Lange 1 are pretty much untouchable in my eyes.... a distant second is Dornblueth, then Nomos followed by GO.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I go for G.O....ALS too weird for my taste....Nomos is nice...Other two, I'm indifferent.
I only own the Glashutte Original and am speaking from my personal knowledge.

Reactions: meloie

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I've seen a datograph in person......I voted for ALS.

Reactions: BusyTimmy

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
... please try to keep value in perspective - it should be pretty obvious a $50,000 Datograph will have a nicer movement over a $5,000 Zurich ;-)
Ah but that movement is a work of art

Harder for me if I take ALS out of the equation. In that case, GO probably gets my vote. More of their lineup that interests me. NOMOS I like but the lineup is not as diverse.

A grail of mine if the Panomatic Lunar XL

which isnt a movement slouch either:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Man this is tough! I voted for GO simply because I could one day own one. But secretly, I like ALS the best- they're my favorite watch brand out there, but I will probably never own one.

I think I am going to take this time to do an unprovoked personal ranking, because I know you all care what I have to say :-! :

1- ALS. Obviously. If you REALLY need persuasion with this one, go and watch the Hodinkee video on the 1815 Rattrapante Perpetual Calendar.

2- GO. I look at their operation as about as quintessential German as you can get. Their designs, their manufacture, everything. Their catalogue is diverse enough to suit most tastes and still has a few top teir peices to compete with the best the swiss have to offer. (Except PP and VC, but that is where ALS steps in nicely).

3- Nomos. THIS JUST IN: Nomos makes great watches with in-house movements and unique designs at an affordable price point! Wait, what's that? People in WUS know this already? hmmm... interesting...

4- Muehle. Their designs are just not for me and their movements are on the 'modified' side of the scale. This should not take away from their wonderful watches, but they are in some tough company!

5- Union. Ten years ago they may have been above Nomos for me (obviously if Nomos was making in-house movements 10 years ago, which they were not). Back then they used modified GO movements (At least I think) and borrowed from some of GO's more timeless designs. Unfortunately, they have started using ETA and their designs have slipped into the realm of boring (at least to this bloke).

All in all, who cares, really? If it's German, I'll probably wear it!

Reactions: Perdendosi

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Citizen Super Titanium CA0021-53E. G-Shock DW-5000MS (with GW-5000 strap)
1,920 Posts
1. ALS

2. Moritz Grossman
3. D. Dornbluth & Sohn

·
Registered
15,858 Posts
Own/owned pieces from each brand, my favs in order

ALS
Nomos
Union
Muhle
GO

·
Registered
408 Posts
Very nice, mine is also red, but a little newer.

-Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3; please excuse any spelling/grammatical errors.

·
Premium Member
34,641 Posts
ALS is first if cost no object, but all of them make some very nice watches.

I own both Originals, Muhle, and a Union and they all have their strong points, while still being individualist.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Current grail is the Glashütte Original Senator Observer in gray. It is just a pipe dream at the moment. Maybe it will never happen.

I love and admire ALS as well, but I can't imagine ever spending the money, even if I had it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Nomos all the way, but i wish they would bring out something modern/sporty. What they call sporty is like wearing a gray shirt to a suit instead of a white one, like: "whoooo I'm breaking conventions here..." :)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Lange. Because of the Datograph.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts