WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've been a WIS for the past 20 years, I'm planning on buying my first Anonimo.

My short list currently includes the Bronze Polluce, the Bronze Polluce Magnum and the Bronze Marlin.

Anybody has any pictures of the three next to each other? All your comments are welcome!

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Although I've been a WIS for the past 20 years, I'm planning on buying my first Anonimo.

My short list currently includes the Bronze Polluce, the Bronze Polluce Magnum and the Bronze Marlin.

Anybody has any pictures of the three next to each other? All your comments are welcome!

Thanks for reading!
Any of those models would be perfect. but I would go for the Magnum.:-!

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Actually, I would put the Magnum just about at the bottom of any Anonimo list--I at least am not interested in seeing the innards of the watch partially displayed on an the otherwise simple, clean dial for which Anonimo is generally known. I think if cost is no object, then the Marlin would be first, and if cost is a concern then the Bronze Polluce would be best-though independent of cost both are great. While I could have bought any of them, I chose the Bronze Polluce 10 ANNI and am glad I did--simple, robust and elegant all in one. I prefer the 10 ANNI or the newest dial (which is the cleanest of them all) over the earlier versions, which I feel are distracting with the CNS and MC logos cluttering up the dial face--though I have seen posts that state they like these inclusions. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bronze Polluce for me as well as first, I ordered that before I got my Dino Zei Nautilo in bronze.

Second would be the bronze Marlin.

Not a fan of the Magnum for the same reason stated above.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My vote is: None of the above.

As first Anonimo I suggest either a Militare or a Millemetri. True any bronze case would match the company's DNA properly, but the Militare and the Millemetri are iconic pieces of the brand.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your comments.

To Firenze: It was my undestanding that the Polluce is also a Millimetri (but not all Millimetris are Polluces)?

To timefleas: Why is there such a large difference in price between the Polluce and the Marlin?

Thanks again for reading!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks for all your comments.

To Firenze: It was my undestanding that the Polluce is also a Millimetri (but not all Millimetris are Polluces)?
Yes and No. THere are few differences. For me, the main difference is in the dial. The Polluce is way too crowded and therefore less pure than the Millemetri. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
rrpalma,
While the Marlin and Polluce (and many others) share the same movement (referred to as the ETA 2824-2, a very common movement in mid-range watches, or Anonimo's version of it, the Sellita SW200), they come in different cases--different in both size and construction. The Marlin is a couple of mm wider than the Polluce, and maybe a mm thicker. The Marlin uses hex nuts/screws to keep the case sandwich together, with none visible on the Polluce--beyond that, I have no idea why there is such a big difference in price--both are pretty low volume runs. A great article on the Polluce can be found by searching "Anonimo Polluce Review"--the link at the top of the list should be from deskdivers dot com--check that article out, it will give you a lot of useful information. As for crowded dials, the dials of the Polluce have come out in at least three different versions--the first two are shown in the article. The first has the CNS and MC logos, in addition to Anonimo's, and that dial is indeed crowded. The second has the "10 Anni" logo (there may have actually been one more in between, on which the "10 Anni" was based), and is less intrusive, while the newest 2010 dial is the least crowded of all, and is similar in simplicity to the Militare and Millimetri models referred to above. You can see the new version by checking one of the WUS sponsors, Topper Jewelers--they have pictures online of all the new Anonimos (and are great people to deal with). Here is a picture of my Polluce, the "10 Anni" version--it's the one bright spot in the otherwise somewhat dreary world of black, gray and silver dials of my rather small collection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rrpalma,
While the Marlin and Polluce (and many others) share the same movement (referred to as the ETA 2824-2, a very common movement in mid-range watches, or Anonimo's version of it, the Sellita SW200), they come in different cases--different in both size and construction. The Marlin is a couple of mm wider than the Polluce, and maybe a mm thicker. The Marlin uses hex nuts/screws to keep the case sandwich together, with none visible on the Polluce--beyond that, I have no idea why there is such a big difference in price--both are pretty low volume runs. A great article on the Polluce can be found by searching "Anonimo Polluce Review"--the link at the top of the list should be from deskdivers dot com--check that article out, it will give you a lot of useful information. As for crowded dials, the dials of the Polluce have come out in at least three different versions--the first two are shown in the article. The first has the CNS and MC logos, in addition to Anonimo's, and that dial is indeed crowded. The second has the "10 Anni" logo (there may have actually been one more in between, on which the "10 Anni" was based), and is less intrusive, while the newest 2010 dial is the least crowded of all, and is similar in simplicity to the Militare and Millimetri models referred to above. You can see the new version by checking one of the WUS sponsors, Topper Jewelers--they have pictures online of all the new Anonimos (and are great people to deal with). Here is a picture of my Polluce, the "10 Anni" version.

Thank you *VERY MUCH* for the outstanding explanation.

I've purchased from Rob before, and will probably continue to do so.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Marlin would be my choice, primarily for the size reason, the Magnum last due to the exposed movement in the dial. Polluce in the middle.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Out of those three models my choice would be the same as above, though I wouldn't consider a Magnum at all as I don't like the model.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My vote is: None of the above.

As first Anonimo I suggest either a Militare or a Millemetri. True any bronze case would match the company's DNA properly, but the Militare and the Millemetri are iconic pieces of the brand.

Good luck with your choice!

+1 on the above post by Firenze...I agree 100%.:-!

The Militare and the Millemetri are iconic pieces of the brand (the Militare design with the 'crown at 6' design is truly unique in the watch making world, the Millemetri the more simple/classic design).

If you must stick to those 3 that you listed...you can't go wrong with the bronze polluce and the UNI 5257 cased watches that Anonimo makes are a signature in and of themselves!!!|> If you want to go big and are not worried about how much you are spending, the bronze Marlin is ultra-sweet and the larger size may be a preference if you like em' big.

Good luck with your choice...you clearly cannot loose any way you go, and once you get bit by the Anonimo bug...ah, you will quickly be onto your second and third Anonimo in no time!!!:-!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts