WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd pose this question for you people who know way more about Omegas than myself. I was looking to buy my first Omega watch and don't know which models are the best value. I was looking at the Aqua Terras but aren't restricted to it. More specifically, the 2517 series or the 2503 series. There is that one major difference of automatic vs quartz that I don't know if it's worth a few hundred bucks more for. Your inputs are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you want to buy a quartz watch, spend ~$200 on a Seiko, they're accurate and that's about it IMO.

An automatic watch is less accurate but, to my mind, infinitely more interesting.

For your first Omega the Aqua Terra is a great watch. You also may want to look on the forums here or the sales corner on timezone.com for a Seamaster. That was my first watch and I love it.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Aaron, and congrats on your search for your first Omega. In general, Omega watches are considered a good value, compared to similar brands. I'm really not sure if I could pick out a "best buy," but that's ok, because you don't want to make your choice based on that.

There are a whole lot of different models, so take your time and figure out what most appeals to you. In addition to the Aqua Terra you mention (which offers a great balance of sporty and dressy, IMO), there's the traditional Seamaster Pro, or the newer Planet Ocean. There's the classic Speedmaster Pro, and many Speedmaster variants. Get to a dealer and see them in person.

As far as quartz vs. mechanical, it's a discussion that comes up regularly, and it just comes down to your preference. Quartz is going to be more accurate, but many of us find great appeal in the intricacies and engineering of a mechanical watch. Obviously, the choice is yours.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever Omega you choose.

eric

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I thought I'd pose this question for you people who know way more about Omegas than myself. I was looking to buy my first Omega watch and don't know which models are the best value. I was looking at the Aqua Terras but aren't restricted to it. More specifically, the 2517 series or the 2503 series. There is that one major difference of automatic vs quartz that I don't know if it's worth a few hundred bucks more for. Your inputs are very much appreciated.
Hi Aaron,

If you are deadset on the Aqua Terra series then I would recommend the automatic/co-axial version. It might be worth more than just a few hundred bucks, perhaps closer to a grand, but it is well worth it. Mechanical/automatic/self-winding watches are not exact in time but these are Chronometers, so that the standard of time keeping is within certain acceptable standards that are comparable to quartz.

The intricacies as well, of a mechanical watch are much more interesting. Bear in mind that the AT series is still under the Seamaster line, so you will be having a watch that is 150m WR, at the same time it will function well as a dress or casual watch. So you have a lot of advantages in that area.

Many people will have different opinions but in the end, as Eric mentioned, try the Seamaster and Speedmaster series and find out what you really like. You will definitely be tempted to go for this and that but stick to your gut feel and choose the first one prudently.

Glimmer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts