WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Happy Holidays to you all. I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks and want to first thank you for all of your wealth of information. Being a pre-first time “real” watch buyer-your thoughts and opinions has been most helpful as I look to get a watch.

I’m hoping that you all could help shed some light on my situation and help with my decision. I’m 45 and looking for a first good watch that I will wear all of time. I like the idea of an automatic instead of a quartz since to me, there is something kind of cool about having a little “engine” on my wrist that works as opposed to a battery operated thing. My budget is up to $2200 if it's worth it. Quality and looks are more important than brand recognition, but if it has brand recognition with both of those things, then bonus. I prefer diver style watches and chronographs. It needs to have at least a date function. Here are a few models that I’m seriously looking at:

Tag Aquaracer Automatic: $2139 (Jomashop-greymarket)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Longines Hydroquest $1900(AD)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Stowa Prodiver $1200 (AD-direct from manufacturer)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory
Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic $1930 (watchbuys.com-AD)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

As you can see, all are chronographs with the exception of the Stowa, which I think is just so unique that I can do without the chronograph if the quality is there. So here are my questions:
1. From a quality standpoint, are any of these significantly better than the others?
2. Since my budget dictates that going with the Tag would require me to purchase from Jomashop (I believe greymarket), is this something to avoid or not a big deal? Also, with Tags, while I think they are beautiful-am I just paying Leo DeCaprio’s salary, etc or are they really worth it?
3. Any other thoughts appreciated

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'd go with the Longines. I really like the look of the TAG, but it is identical to many of the Carrera models I'd like to strap to my wrist. That Hydroconquest looks so smart, it is sharp and crisp and looks both classic and modern at the same time. The price and quality differences will largely be a wash, so get the one that sings to you.

-hayday

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
My $0.02: Sinn, Longines, Stowa, Tag, in that order.

The Flieger is classic and not as bulky as the others, making it more versatile, IMHO. So for one watch, it's great.

Then save up and get the Longines as your second watch!

As much as I like Stowa, that watch doesn't do it for me.

And as much as Tag has some nice watches, that bezel bothers me for some reason.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hello and welcome. It is really hard to beat Stowa for value. The fit, finish and quality are really remarkable for the price. I think Sinn's quality is good too, though I've never had one, and for me those are the two most unique looking of your four choices.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Longines because you can pick it up locally....Sinn if you don't mind waiting for the order.
IMHO,one who has made multiple purchases from JomaShop they are OK....If you want a good deal on
Longines with factory warranty call Alan Furman, ask for Sergio....Tell him I said Hi...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really like the Sinn a lot more than the rest, design and branding...
I would avoid grey market on expensive watches, in case you want to sell it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So far the results on this thread have really scattered the board. You should be able to see by now that there is no real "best" choice; I'd simply go with your gut feeling about which you think would suit you best. And I've never had a problem buying grey market.

But out of those I like the Stowa.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sinn for me though acrylic crystal is my least favorite.

Otherwise go for longines hydroquest.

Tag is a miss for me, so is stowa diver.

Feel your heart again. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I would choose the Hydroconquest, the new model, because of the L688 movement (column wheel chrono) and because I like the new dial.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory
(pic from Longines web)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts