WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which of these two 'luxury' steel watches would you keep? And why?

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I only needed one.

If these were yours, which would you choose, and what would be your reason for keeping it and letting go of the other?
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Finger
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: mudmud

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Parmigiani, hands down. Big date, cool small seconds layout, interesting details on the dial and hands. The Rolex looks like a Rolex, with the fat '80s shoulder pad look of the six-digit supercase. Never been a fan. A Steinhart or Squale can give you that same look for all of like $600, admittedly as caller GMTs rather than flyers.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stainless steel sports watch with big date, perfectly executed Guilloché Clou triangulaire dial, lovely integrated bracelet and a beautifully finished movement.

Need I say more?
You make a compelling case.

Reactions: cgardel

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parmigiani, hands down. Big date, cool small seconds layout, interesting details on the dial and hands. The Rolex looks like a Rolex, with the fat '80s shoulder pad look of the six-digit supercase. Never been a fan. A Steinhart or Squale can give you that same look for all of like $600, admittedly as caller GMTs rather than flyers.

View attachment 16021101
Similar thoughts have crossed my mind.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Parmigiani - because it doesn’t look like the millions of awful Rolex and Rolex look-alike divers...
I have to confess that I’m a little surprised by how this is going so far.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The Rolex looks like an expensive tool watch. The Parmigiani looks like an expensive dress watch. Between the two the Parmigiani looks more interesting so that would be the one I choose.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Rolex looks like an expensive tool watch. The Parmigiani looks like an expensive dress watch. Between the two the Parmigiani looks more interesting so that would be the one I choose.
Yes the PF is the prettier of the two. The Rolex feels… built (in a good way).

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't take the millions of divers/copies into consideration and downplay the GMT Master though. Usually I consider comparisons like these based on the watches own merits.
Although I think the point being made is that, putting aside its sturdy build, the Rolex pictured above looks somewhat generic. The PF is off doing its own PF thing. Horses for courses.

·
Premium Member
14,613 Posts
Although I think the point being made is that, putting aside its sturdy build, the Rolex pictured above looks somewhat generic. The PF is off doing its own PF thing. Horses for courses.
Which is why we say context is always important. If you're looking for a sports/tool watch that will take a beating and still look cool, there are few on the market that beats the Rolex Oyster cased sports watches...that said a Royal Oak off shore could be the exception.

Simply put I'm not sure if my GP will still look cool when it's all scratched up and banged up, but I'm quite sure my Explorer II will be.

Horses for course indeed.

·
Premium Member
32,417 Posts
Voted for: Parmigiani.

I think the Parmi is a cool watch, all dial with "big" date and a cool-ish small seconds hand. The design of the watch is smart casual and will do well i an office setting and wouldn't look out of place on a casual weekend. That is if you haven't bought into the whole Rolex hype and if you don't need a GMT complication.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Rolex because... it is one of the references I really want, but have not reached that goal yet. As a two watch collection they would be amazing. Lucky you good sir!
Otherwise:
1. GMT function
2. Proven reliability when banged around. Perhaps the Parmigiani is as well but have not researched, so perhaps it's a tie here.
3. Prefer the looks of the Rolex, but the Parmigiani is a higher tier watch.
4. Rolex can go on various straps, etc. Parmigiani looks like it would be more of a proprietary effort to do so. Again, could be wrong.

Reactions: Mediocre

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Both are great Watches and do the job designed with class and style. Both serve a completely different purpose. There is no right or wrong answer. Choose the right Watch for the task at hand. Vance.

Reactions: Mediocre
1 - 20 of 269 Posts