WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yes, this is something like a "put your watches in a ranked order", but the key is - doesn't matter if it's your favourite, or least favourite, or expensive, or busted.. Well, it kinda matters, but indirectly.
The ordering criteria is simple: start with the watch you would flip first (IF you had to flip a watch, ofc), then proceed up and up, ending with the watch you would flip last. In this imaginary scenario, you can't keep any watch (let's assume that after all are flipped, you can just magically get them all back in the end or smth) - all must go. Some sooner than others.

Starting with myself:

1st to go away: The '60s Rotary dress watch. I just don't wear it at all, there's never a good occasion.
2014-03-17 13.57.13.jpg

2nd to be flipped: DeTomaso Crotone. Dial looks very flat, it's too large, and a bit too anti-casual.
IMG_0051.JPG

3rd to go: The Orient. Doesn't handwind, I'm kinda over Openheart dials, and hard to read at a glance. And, to be painfully honest, it doesn't look as nice irl as it does in pictures; the fine-detail precision and definition... just isn't there, imo. But, it's still in good nick (unlike the Rotary) and it's a "good" brand.
2014-03-21 09.16.05.jpg

4th to leave: The Seiko5. I like it, I really do. But it is, when all's said and done, a bottom-range Seiko5 beater with moderate WR and a slightly unimpressive dial. I like the movement a lot, it feels really smooth, handwinds, hacks, and looks decent enough from the back. I don't know if I like the hands on it... Something just doesn't "gel" together with this design, imo. But the case & bezel make it look passable enough.
IMG_0048.JPG

5th to go: Bernhardt BA. I do like it a lot, but... Well, it's a bit too plain. And the shiney surfaces are somewhat difficult to keep spotless (and this case is all about the shiney surfaces >.< ). This is the one where it would start to get difficult to part with it, btw. This was my first "really good" watch, I like that it's a micro (and a well-made one at that), and I kinda like the fact that you can't get a new one of these anymore.
IMG_0057.JPG

Last to go: The Nighthawk. This was one of my first "WUS-approved" watches, it is my go-to casual/beater/daily when I don't fancy anything else, it has (imo) the most distinctive look... And, frankly, I just plain love it. Of all the watches I have at the moment, this one is the most "MY watch", if that makes sense. Would be really hard to part with it.
IMG_0011.JPG

So, well then.
How'd your list look like?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
First to last in order of how I would sell mine off:

Cyma Military Pilot
Panerai Homage
HMT Pilot (WUS)
Ingersoll Stetson
Omega Deville
P.Moser
Parnis Portuguese (Grey)
Omega Seamaster
Seagull 1963 Chrono
Vostok Amphibian
Sekonda Alarm
Parnis Portuguese (White)
Rodina Bauhaus
Seiko World Time
WUS CMWF Dual Crown
Alpha Submariner
WUS AWFLE F71
WUS CMWF ST5
Omega Tonneau
Cyma WWW Military
Glashutte GUB Senator
Cyma Cymaflex
Alpha Explorer I
Tag Heuer Carrera
Omega Aqua Terra
Omega Dynamic

Reactions: X2-Elijah

·
Registered
672 Posts
The first one to be flipped would be the Kolber K5386, it is way too formal for my liking and by today's standards, its dimensions are tiny. It is also very hard to know the exact time. On the plus side it is the most comfortable, the bracelet is of a very good quality (both links and end links are solid). While it isn't designed to be a beater, it feels like it can be knocked around.

The second one to be flipped is a watch from a brand called Louis Muller (Made in China). It has a good design and is comfortable, and reading the time isn't an issue. But I am not a fan of brown-colored watches. The date function of this watch doesn't feel to be too reliable as it gets stuck at times when you use the date pusher (but rarely). You read that right, the watch has separate pushers for changing the date and the day, there is no chronograph in this watch. There is a mistake in the printing of the 24 hour indicator, it starts from 13 instead of 1. I don't know why they added lume to the hands, it barely lasts a few minutes.

The third one to be flipped is the Westar Activ 9320BBN. It has been for 7 years with me and it is very durable. The thick crystal survived all what I have thrown at it. But in my opinion it has a weird design. I am serious about this, I have a good eyesight, but carry a magnifier to use the chronograph. The subdials are really, really small. Its lume is of a poor quality.

All the three watches mentioned above are flipped at the moment, and the one that gets most of my wrist time (99%?) is the Orient UNE2-D0-B Quartz, which belongs to a lineup which Orient calls "SP". The time is very easy to read, and the watch looks great on every occasion. It has an acceptable lume - it is not too bright but easy enough to be read, but it doesn't last all the night. The bracelet's quality is nothing to write home about, it is decent at best - both the links and the end links are folded.

Reactions: X2-Elijah

·
Vendor
27,683 Posts
Can't we sell blood and semen first?

·
Registered
328 Posts
In all my years I have only sold 1 watch. A Rolex Sub that I bought for stupid cheep, put a few bucks into fixing up and sold for enough to pay my divorce off.

Think I would sell my motorcycle or a few paintings off the wall before dumping any of the watches.

Bill

So many watches...so little time!

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Well I am about to do some flipping so in order
The easy ones
Eyki Overfly
My Shanghai
Infantry quartz
Stuhrling skeleton
HMT white Pilot
HMT Kohinoor
After that
I guess
Vostok 'Diriskie
Vostok Amphibian New scuba dude
Casio AE1200WHD
Poljot square
HMT black Pilot
Fossil
Vostok Amphibian Radio Room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
It's a tough question. The top of the list is obviously easier than the bottom. I would really struggle to sell any more than a couple of my watches though.

Casio A159 - not even really worth selling
Aramar Arctic Ocean - going to be sold anyway
Seiko 6139 - sell to get a better example
HMT Pilot
Seiko SNK803
Casio ProTrek - could live without a digital easily
Seiko 6309
SKX009
SKX007
Seiko SBBN013 - in the middle of the list cos it's not very versatile
Seiko SBBN017
Orient Star
Seiko SARB017
Hamilton Pan Europ
Seiko MM300

·
Vendor
27,683 Posts
I'd sell in this order:

1. Glycine Combat Sub - Why? It's still very new, in very good condition, isn't from my brand and isn't even a micro-brand, is just "okay" for being a "Real Swiss" brand, and I got it on sale, so I shouldn't lose my shirt selling it. Plus, I've got a diver with a blue dial and orange bezel of my own on the way.

2. Melbourne Flinders (sorry Suj) - Why? It's not from my brand, and it's a dress watch, which means it'll be the least-worn watch in my collection, as nice as it is (and it's *very* nice).

3. (Tie) - Aevig Huldra and Cobra de Caliber - Why? Not my brand, and if I need a diver, I'll have the Orthos and/or the Acionnas, if I need something sporty but not a diver, I'll have the Riccardos, the Spectre and the Cerberus.

Now it gets tough, really tough, because all I have left are the watches from my own brand. Here goes:

5. Black Spectre - Why? The Spectres are probably the least versatile model I make, and I like the Orange better than the Black.

Spectre-19-black-front-crown-in (Custom).jpg
6. Orange Spectre

2014-01-25_17-58-45.jpg

7. (Tie) - Riccardos, Blue/Red and Black/Orange - Why? Not that versatile, but highly sought after nonetheless, so ought to fetch a fair price.

800_2796-resize.jpg

9, 10, and 11 - Cerberus in this order - Blue/Orange, White/Blue and Gray/Red - Why? Damn, because I'm forced to sell off all my watches, and if not them, then it's the Acionnas or the Orthos, but I like the Acionnas and the Orthos too much to let 'em go, and that's my reverse order of preference for the Cerberus color combos.

From here on out it's just reverse order of preference, and trying to hang onto my favorites as long as I can.

12. Blue Acionna
Acionna-ss-blue.jpg
13. Gray/Red Orthos

Orthos Red Closeup.jpg

14. Black Acionna
Acionna-ss-black.jpg
15. Blue/Orange Orthos

Orthos Blue Closeup.jpg

16. Silver Acionna
Acionna-ss-white.jpg

I hate you for making me do this.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
This is what I am actively flipping at the moment:

1. HMT Kohinoor - flipping because I don't wear it. It's ok, has a chipped crystal with a shard floating around on the crystal
2. Seiko SNKL41 - all round nice Poor Man's Grand Seiko. Doesn't get enough wear, and is a tad too small for me.
3. Orient Ray Black - Very nice. But just doesn't get enough time on the rotation. Hopefully it will be picked up someone that will give it the wrist time it deserves.
4. HMT Janata - Genuinely like this watch. But again, not getting enough wear. Thinking I should keep this one.
5. Seiko Monster Dracula SRP 313 - Really torn on this one. Sitting on the fence. A very nicely executed watch. But for some reason, it's not finding time on my wrist.

I am not flipping any of these, but if a Mob boss or Ramsay Snow forced me to sell my watches by force this is the order:

1. Casio MDV106 Silver - Quartz beater. Nice piece.
2. Black Komandirskie - A charmer.
3. HMT Pilot White - Just all round goodness. Versatile.
4. HMT Pilot Black - So much in this watch. History, actual military use. Smooth suave looks. Simplicity and beauty at the same time.
5. Orient Blue Mako - Only one of the first 3 watch that I bought that I still have. Hate to say a cliche, but it goes with everything and doesn't look out of place anywhere.
6. Seiko SKX007 - will never flip. Regularly finds a way onto my wrist.
7. Orient Millenium - will never flip. Really lucky to get it.
8. Seiko SARG005 - Pretty sure I will never flip. Quite nice and handsome.
9. Seiko SARB017 Alpinist - will never flip. For many reasons. Bday gift, first expensive affordable and a mini-grail.

photo(42).JPG

ps. Not flipping the casio digitals either, but if forced would be one the first to be sold.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'd sell in this order:

7. (Tie) - Riccardos, Blue/Red and Black/Orange - Why? Not that versatile, but highly sought after nonetheless, so ought to fetch a fair price.

View attachment 1468448

Wow Doc. Thought the Riccardo would have been the last to flip. I take you prefer metal bracelets type sporty watches to watches designed to be on leather straps?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Which of your watches would you flip first, which second, (..), and which one...

1. Nighthawk - love this watch but there are some minor nits, I got it used and it never felt like mine, the seconds hand doesn't line up well, and the 24-hour hand is also out of alignment with the 12-hour hand. I'd have already sold it but I know I won't get anything for it.

2. Ceasar - another one I'm debating selling. I like the watch, the hands and dial are awesome, but it's darn thick and therefore doesn't get worn much. Chrono seconds are a little off-center. Also bought used. Makes a great pool toy for the kid though!

3. Pilot auto - love this watch. Would only sell to get something a little smaller, 44mm or so, but as far as dinner plate watches go, this one is solid.

4. G-Shock Aviator - no emotional entanglement here. I would have to replace it, though, with another bombproof beater, so what would be the point?

5. Aquis - why would I ever sell this watch? I wouldn't. Oh maybe for food if it came to that.

6. 856 UTC - back off.

A couple of gifted pieces at the bottom which I cannot ever flip. One is obnoxious and the other is an Invicta knockoff of a Citizen design. They both live in my watch box "where it's safe".

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
Re: Which of your watches would you flip first, which second, (..), and which one...

Don't intend to flip any of them - maybe give a couple away one day....?

nine flippers.JPG

1. Hugo Boss Quartz
2. Shanghai handwind
3. White Pilot LE
4. Single-dial Seiko chrono
5. Scuffed Seiko handwind
6. f72 ST5 blue dial
7. Nivrel Coeur de Sarre black dial
8. 53-year-old Seiko handwind
9. Rodina Bauhaus

·
Vendor
27,683 Posts
Wow Doc. Thought the Riccardo would have been the last to flip. I take you prefer metal bracelets type sporty watches to watches designed to be on leather straps?
I shouldn't even be participating in the exercise. Looking back at my list today, I realize I might instead sell off one of each model, trying to hold onto at least one of each rather than sell off both or all of any particular model.

I love them all, but even I can't help gravitating towards some more than others.

Maybe I'd sell the blue Cerberus and the blue Acionna before selling either Riccardo.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Re: Which of your watches would you flip first, which second, (..), and which one...

The only ones that I can not imagine flipping are my Sinn 757UTC and my gift watches. As for the rest, I'm not selling now but I just can't see a real reason to keep them if I needed to sell them.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts

This would be an effort in futility for me. Nothing is sacred. I've bought and flipped so many "keepers" that my list would be all lies, and I prefer that people find out I lie the old fashioned way: on the 'Maury Povich Show' during a disputed paternity episode.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts