WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which do you like better?

• Navitimer

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Olympus

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Both of those things are too darn complicated for me!

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which of these watches do you like better? The classic Navitimer or the Olympus (recently discontinued). I owned the Navitimer first and now have the Olympus, but I think the Olympus might be slightly large and am thinking about selling it and going back to the classic Navitimer. I'd have both the strap and bracelet for either.

Olympus ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Navitimer

Navitimer

Olympus

Navitimer

Olympus

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Navitimer

I like simple watches in general. I was a Paneristi for many years. Breitlings are the most complicated I've ever owned, and even there, I prefer the more simple ones. The Navitimer is a classic in the world of tool-watches, and would choose it every time over the Olympus. Your photos are beautiful, by the way!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Navitimer

I like simple watches in general. I was a Paneristi for many years. Breitlings are the most complicated I've ever owned, and even there, I prefer the more simple ones. The Navitimer is a classic in the world of tool-watches, and would choose it every time over the Olympus. Your photos are beautiful, by the way!
Yea, I have a Panerai as well, which is about the polar opposite in terms of complexity (unless you get a Movado :rodekaart), but is similar in size.

Thanks for the kind words on the pics, but I think they are just ok. Here is a better pic I took of my Olympus.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Although Oly. is a beautiful and discontinued watch and not easy to acquire (as brand new) I would prefer the classic Navitimer. I was going to buy the Oly. but then I decided that it was a little bit big for my wrist and bought the classic Navitimer. I prefer simplicity. Why don't you keep the Oly. and get a new Navitimer everything would be more simple that way:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although Oly. is a beautiful and discontinued watch and not easy to acquire (as brand new) I would prefer the classic Navitimer. I was going to buy the Oly. but then I decided that it was a little bit big for my wrist and bought the classic Navitimer. I prefer simplicity. Why don't you keep the Oly. and get a new Navitimer everything would be more simple that way:)
Well, there is the thing of having to almost identical watches (like Panerai people seem to do) and the little matter of $2500. My plan was to sell the Olympus to fund the Navitimer and maybe even had a little left over.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Voted the Olympus, but yes both are kinda busy with the complications and detail. I voted Olympus simply because of the moon phase feature, something different if I were to add it to my very humble collection.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have to vote for the Olympus mainy for the moon phase. There is just something about having a moon phase that adds to a watch!! b-)

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Hi John. The Olympus is a beaut, but for me, it's a little bit busy. I voted Navitimer, but of course as you know, what is important is which YOU prefer :-!.

Best to you whichever way you go, either is a winner.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dear John,
May I ask what is the difference between the montbrillant olympus and the olympus? There are three difference that I can see.

First is the date 7,8 for the montbrillant olympus, the olympus has 7. (no number 8) and second is the name "montbrillant olympus" compare to "breitling navitimer" to that of the "olympus". Third is the bezel, the montbrillant olympus has a beaded bezel and the olympus has a gear type bezel

Aside from these three cosmetic difference, what do they differ from each other?

Attachments

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,060 Posts

Yea, I have a Panerai as well, which is about the polar opposite in terms of complexity (unless you get a Movado :rodekaart), but is similar in size.

Thanks for the kind words on the pics, but I think they are just ok. Here is a better pic I took of my Olympus.
Hi, John. Well, you already know my opinion on this question. You can ALWAYS get another Navi, but the Oly is a superb piece and the new version ain't nearly as nice IMHO. I also like the larger size of the Oly and the complications it has are the cat's meow. The Oly is the keeper. ;-) :-!
BTW, how is Kevin doing? We havn't heard from him in ages. I'm also glad to see you back on line again. :-! Best Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
398 Posts
Lot's of Navi's out there, I would go with the Oly.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I think both are stunning, but I've always had a thing about "Moon Phases" on a watch, never liked them, and can't honestly come up with a reason why, so I'd go for the Navi.

Just one of those things....

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like the Navitimer more because of the subdial placement. But the moon phase on the Oly is a nice feature as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm suprised that the voting has come out so even. In the end as much as I like the Olympus I think I'm going to sell the it as I sometimes think its just a little large for my wrist and go back to the classic Navitimer. I can get one LNIB (about a month old fresh from BUSA) for 50% of MSRP. I've sort of been thinking about this for awhile, but suddenly the opportunity to get one at a great deal has arisen and I don't have to fight to find one on the salescorners, so I think I'm going to take it. Then I can have the same watch as John Travolta. :-d

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

BTW, how is Kevin doing? We havn't heard from him in ages. I'm also glad to see you back on line again. :-! Best Regards,
Ron
Hey Ron,
Kevin is doing well. I think his son is keeping him busy. I think he's actually in San Diego on vacation right now. I'll tell him you asked about him and maybe he'll poke his head in.

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow, both are awesome! I say if you have an olympus and you like it. Keep it and save up for the Navitimer.

I sold an older Blackbird with a SS bullet band (you never see that combo) a while ago, that I got a ton of compliments on. Now, the old BB has been replaced by a newer version - and they stopped making the bullet band from what I've heard. Since then, I have found another old BB w/pilot bracelet - which I actually like better; but there was a uniqueness to the combo I used to have. Since then I've learned NOT to sell something unique like that. I'll just save for another one I want...for what it's worth. All things equal - I like the Nav just slightly better, though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting question.........

You realize that the Olympus is a Navitimer, so..........

It's just if you like the dial selection. I like the moon phase.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, since I first posted this thread I've decided to sell the Olympus as I (and several friends) thought it was maybe just a little large and I've gone back to the basic Navitimer that I had before I got the Olympus. One of 3 watches that I've owned twice now. The other two being a Superocean Pro and an Omega Bond Seamaster.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I like the Navitimer Olympus better - but I really like it best in the Blue Dial. The watch (with the moonphase and it's 1461 complications) is quite impressive and one of the most beautiful Bs around...

The regular Navi is also a great watch, just less pizzaz...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I like the Olympus as well but you probably guessed that already ;-)
I'm still waiting for my Navi World to come in. I think it got held up at the VPC, lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts