WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was the only bidder on eBay on this watch till the final five seconds. I hate it when that happens.

A novelty Tissot showing it's always five o'clock somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Re: Which one of you [email protected]$$'s outbid me on this Five I'Clock Tissot?

A novelty Tissot showing it's always five o'clock somewhere.
:-d what a stupid concept

You should have put a max bid (absolute max you would pay) in right at the start to (potentially) cover it if someone did try and snatch it at the last minute.

till the final five....
The watch was trying to tell you something ;-)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Which one of you [email protected]$$'s outbid me on this Five I'Clock Tissot?

The auction started at $49. I bid $71.
Naturally it sold for $72.

I didn't bid higher because I am a noob and don't know if it's interesting, rare or just silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,819 Posts

Fair enough , bit of a PITA then when you've took reasonable precautions.

But anyway there'll be another most likely, and if you didn't want to spend more than $71 then it ultimately wasn't for you, there's always another ... :)

·
Registered
140 Posts

Most likely, paulmlemay, you were outbid by a sniper service. Most times when a bid happens in the final 5 to 7 seconds, it is done with a sniper service. If you try to hit the bid and go through the couple of screens yourself, you probably won't make it.

Most of these services offer free trials and are reliable. Do a google search, I personally use Auction Sniper, you get three free snipes to try it out and you don't get a deduction unless you win the auction.

·
Registered
140 Posts

BTW, paulmlemay, take heart, you DID make the winner pay an extra $70+ dollars for it. : )

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Most likely, paulmlemay, you were outbid by a sniper service. Most times when a bid happens in the final 5 to 7 seconds, it is done with a sniper service. If you try to hit the bid and go through the couple of screens yourself, you probably won't make it.

Most of these services offer free trials and are reliable. Do a google search, I personally use Auction Sniper, you get three free snipes to try it out and you don't get a deduction unless you win the auction.
+1 on sniping.

I've gotten into the auction frenzy and allowed myself to be bid up to way more than I really wanted to pay for items. Plus, by bidding long before the close, you make it easier for others to outbid you. You'll sometime see an auction where somebody keeps bidding in $5 increments till they top another bidder*. Don't be that guy, because then everyone knows they only have to top that by $5 and they'll win.

What I do is decide the maximum I'm willing to pay for a particular piece, set up a snipe (I use esnipe) for -4 seconds, and forget about it. You get it, or you don't. If you don't, just remember that there will probably be another one along sometime soon.

Oh, and remember - the guy who outbids you may have actually bid a hundred dollars over your bid. Don't tell yourself, "If I'd only bid $2 higher, I'd have gotten it!" I still have to remind myself about that!

*This is also the pattern of the shill bidder, but generally only if there's a retraction of the last bid, and only bids with a few sellers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Question: is this sort of watch will all 5's unusual, interesting, or just silly.
What's your opinion?

In my imagination it belonged to a jokester in the 60's who enjoyed a cocktail.

·
Registered
140 Posts

GeneJockey

Surprisingly enough, sniping, I have won the huge majority of the auctions I have bid on. For me though, I still prefer to do a BIN and be done, even if I pay a bit more, I know immediately that I have my prize won. lol lol Oh yea, I absolutely REFUSE to participate in any auction that has a reserve set, I am not going to play games with sellers, set your minimum as your opening bid or as your BIN, if you want me to participate. lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

GeneJockey

Surprisingly enough, sniping, I have won the huge majority of the auctions I have bid on. For me though, I still prefer to do a BIN and be done, even if I pay a bit more, I know immediately that I have my prize won. lol lol Oh yea, I absolutely REFUSE to participate in any auction that has a reserve set, I am not going to play games with sellers, set your minimum as your opening bid or as your BIN, if you want me to participate. lol
I mostly snipe these days, though before that I'd just wait till >1hr before closing, put in my maximum, and walk away. Well, SOMETIMES I'd watch the end.

I also do BINs a bit, but I specialize in only 30 years of a single brand, so I have a very good idea of the value of most of them. I prefer BIN/OBO's because I can ask a low price, and see if they're reasonable, or just completely unrealistic. I'll bid in reserve auctions, though yeah, I often find that people set the reserve ridiculously high. But it's how I got my first Elgin Bumper Automatic - I won the bidding but below the reserve, and the seller offered me the watch for the winning bid price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts