WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here and I would like to annoy you with a few very newbie questions.

I've been looking into buying an ABC watch but I'm not sure which one to get. I have kept three models into my final round.

1. X-Lander
2. Observer
3. Core

I really like the look of the X-Lander, from what I can read, the Observer seems like the most reliable of the bunch and the Core is cutting edge techno like I like.

So, I'm stuck. I really don't know which one I should get. The main reason for me to get this watch is for having a portable weather station on me at all time. I live in a very remote area and I when I go out camping, it can be important to have access to such information.

Now, what would you recommend me?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Wow... well lets see...

This is tough.

The Core is probably my most accurate barometer watch. But it has other quirks as you have probably read.

My Observer is probably the next most accurate, but it requires you choose one or the other... Alti or Baro. The other function is locked.

Although the X Lander is probably the most "proven" of the 3 "modules" its also the most susceptible to barometric drift.

For me it would come down to Core vs Observer... VERY tough call. Plus, depending on which model you choose, there is quite a large price difference. Does that play into the equation?

The Core is new... and still may have a bug or two. No complaints on mine, but as you have likely read its been quirky for some. Then again, that Auto mode is a real champ in my book.

I dont know that I have helped at all...

How long do you typically go out in the field?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... well lets see...
How long do you typically go out in the field?
Well, I'll try to be more specific. I live in the «Great White North©», in the tundra, where weather can change within a few minutes. I can be out on the land for up to a week at a time, but typically it's more like a day or two.

I was leaning towards the Observer at first, but then I read more about the Core and I thought that it too looked pretty awesome.

As far as price, it's ok. I can handle both «regular» models.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Hmmm... Ok here is my take..

If you can live with the "locking tactic" that the Observer uses for barometric drift control. And you are an experienced outdoorsman... Go for the Observer.

The Core is a little new and quirky. That said, its also built a little differently. The Observer is a freaking little tank. More like a G Shock. If you know how to read the skies and can keep an eye on the baro, then you wont be needing the storm alarm that comes on the Core. (cool feature no doubt but... I read more from the conditions and use the watch to back up my hunches).

Both have mineral crystals (as does the X lander). Im not being much help am I? You've chosen 3 of my favorite models.

The Observer "feels" a little tougher in its build. It has a proven module, but the Core has a SLIGHTLY better technology but is largely unproven in field conditions.

Does size matter? lol?? The Observer is considerably smaller...

Is there any chance you could go and see them live?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in the core. I like the design and even though some problems have been reported about it, I don't think it's gonna be an issue. I have no experience with any ABC watches so I'm not biased on the interface. Size is not a big issue for me (I'm not a small guy by a long shot).

I also like cutting edge technology and that weight a lot on my decision. Anyway, from what I understand, going with either one of them would be a good choice. So, I can't really go wrong, can I?

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Yep... super light! And scratches on the crystal can be buffed out with a little brasso!

I don't see it as a negative! :)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yep... super light! And scratches on the crystal can be buffed out with a little brasso!

I don't see it as a negative! :)
didn't mean that Jeff that is why I picked up the Observer because the size suits me better and besides I like to feel some weight on my wrist.
I guess now I answer your question on the thread you start recently.
Thanks for all your help Jeff:-!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Re: Does it come as a black bezel on black strap / casing model?

Not that I am aware of... But someone sent their bezel off to be "stealthed". I suspect we will see pics soon!

Thats going to look AWESOME. I think the gentleman said it was under 100.00.

H

·
0 Posts

a hundred bucks to anodize an aluminum bezel?

·
Registered
14,018 Posts

Well, I think it was WELL under 100.00... :) I really cant remember,,, the posts are here somewhere. I was just trying to round up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts