WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Rangeman is appealing but the display is negative. Right now between GW-B5600BC-1JF and GMW-B5000G-1JF, due in April. Any reason to prefer one over the other?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Personal preferences, price?
I would of opted for 5600 because i like lighter watches and don't really sold on stainless at least while looking at them from a far.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personal preferences, price?
I would of opted for 5600 because i like lighter watches and don't really sold on stainless at least while looking at them from a far.
I agree that lighter is better.
Wondering if the functionality is identical.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
you can search G-Central for GW-B5600

G-Shock GW-B5600 & GW-B5600BC: Tough Solar, Bluetooth, Multi-Band 6 Resin Squares with Resin and Composite Bands
is a name of the news

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
New Rangeman is appealing but the display is negative. Right now between GW-B5600BC-1JF and GMW-B5000G-1JF, due in April. Any reason to prefer one over the other?

What is the GMW-B5000G-1JF?? Full metal? Color? Positive/neg display? Please post a pic. I could not find it anywhere...

The GW-B5600BC may be close or the same functionally, but for me, the full metal squares win, hands-down. Yes they are heavier, but the quality is obvious in their build. And you get used to the weight rather quickly. Right now, the GMW-B5000s in general are the pinnacle of Casio G-shock squares, IMO. (Though sometimes I do prefer resin, and for those times it’s the GW-5000.) ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Time, here is a link: https://kakakumag.com/hobby/?id=13477
The full metal watches are nice but too heavy for me to wear with pain.
Thanks! Oh, wow, how did I miss that?? That looks like the long-awaited re-do of the GW5K, except with a metal bezel. Larger buttons, BT, and I’m sure the STN display. That one could be pretty awesome!!! :-!

Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
ronalddheld, to answer your original question, I echo what others have said. Deciding between a resin bezel with combi-bracelet square and a metal screwback square depends on your preferences regarding material (resin versus metal), weight, intended use, color, etc.

I have the GW-B5600BC-1B (negative display) and I also have a modded GMW-B5000D-1 (positive display). I like them both, but for different reasons and uses. The GW-B5600 is utilitarian and performs well as a daily wearer. So could the GMW-B5000, depending on how one defines an everyday watch. I prefer wearing the GMW-B5000 when the feeling of a more premium G-SHOCK is desired. To each their own on this topic.

The GMW-B5000G-1 could be what you are looking for if you prefer a resin band and don't mind a metal bezel.

That model and the GMW-B5000G-2 certainly have piqued my interest. Thank you for sharing the kakakumag link about the upcoming G-SHOCK releases. I will bump the GMW-B5000 models availability thread to hopefully garner some interest and discussion about these two models.

To answer your follow-up question regarding the module functionality between the GW-B5600's and GMW-B5000's, it is exactly the same. Both perform in the same manner.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ronalddheld, to answer your original question, I echo what others have said. Deciding between a resin bezel with combi-bracelet square and a metal screwback square depends on your preferences regarding material (resin versus metal), weight, intended use, color, etc.

I have the GW-B5600BC-1B (negative display) and I also have a modded GMW-B5000D-1 (positive display). I like them both, but for different reasons and uses. The GW-B5600 is utilitarian and performs well as a daily wearer. So could the GMW-B5000, depending on how one defines an everyday watch. I prefer wearing the GMW-B5000 when the feeling of a more premium G-SHOCK is desired. To each their own on this topic.

The GMW-B5000G-1 could be what you are looking for if you prefer a resin band and don't mind a metal bezel.

That model and the GMW-B5000G-2 certainly have piqued my interest. Thank you for sharing the kakakumag link about the upcoming G-SHOCK releases. I will bump the GMW-B5000 models availability thread to hopefully garner some interest and discussion about these two models.

To answer your follow-up question regarding the module functionality between the GW-B5600's and GMW-B5000's, it is exactly the same. Both perform in the same manner.
Thanks, Tommy. Maybe by bumping that thread, i will get more advice.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The appeal of the GW 5000 series watches are the simplicity. I got my gw5000 because I wanted something "relatively cheap" functional, comfortable, and durable. Having owned a GW5000 and a GWM5610 long term I feel that the GMW5610 is the most one would really need out of a casio square. The newer models are not appealing to me at all because I'm never going to use the bluetooth features. Now, the tech aside, I still prefer the designs of the older models as they cost less, have (mostly) the same features and share the same Achilles Heel of all square models (a mineral crystal that can be scratched). There is no point in paying extra money for a GWM 5000, the full DLC GWMB5000TFC Porter Edition, or any of thew models coming out in basel 2019 as they all have mineral crystals that are going to scratch. Whats the point in having a more scratch resistant case if the crystal (the part the matters most in reading the time) gets scratched? Again, this is my personal opinion and the heart wants what the heart desires. If you like the design of the watch, get it!

Off topic, but did anyone else notice the new GWRB-1000 mentioned in the link posted above? If you translate the page it says this new gravity master has a monocoque case. Furthermore if you look at the crystal it looks like it might have an anti reflective sapphire crystal. Seems like a pretty unique G-Shock. May just be the first monocoque case in G-shock history. Hopefully the tech will transition into the MRG line.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
the GMW-B5000G will have a Sapphire crystal?
Where did you get that?? The previous poster mentioned that the new GRAVITYMASTER will likely have sapphire. That is not unusual for the high-end Aviation-style Gs.

If all of the other GMW-B5000 versions have mineral crystals, there is no reason to think that the new versions coming out would have sapphire.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Time, here is a link: https://kakakumag.com/hobby/?id=13477
The full metal watches are nice but too heavy for me to wear with pain.
square.png

I recently ordered GW-B5600BC-1BJF (negative display version), but before I did I contacted one of our resident Square experts who owns it along with GW-B5000. He said he doesn't believe B5600 really has a super twisted display, no matter what Casio says. I ordered it anyway because I like negative displays, and I don't have a square with a bracelet yet. It's listed as weighing 85 grams, I assume that is prior to sizing so after I remove three links, it should be under 80g. It's "Made (assembled) in China," with a caseback that is attached with four screws.

april-release.jpg
「GMW-B5000G-1JF」は、2019年4月発売。メーカー希望小売価格は、60,480円(税込)

SeiyaJapan lists GMW-B5000-1JF as weighing 96 grams. That's fine, anything under 100g is OK for me to wear daily. Of course, it does has the super twisted display, large buttons, and a screw down caseback and it's made in Japan. Like GW-5000, I assume it will have a Premium feel. I guess all the specs for the April release will align with the current version with the silver bezel. The reason I didn't get the current one is the silver bezel is too flashy for me. I plan on buying the April release, thanks for the heads up. |>

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
View attachment 13961575

I recently ordered GW-B5600BC-1BJF (negative display version), but before I did I contacted one of our resident Square experts who owns it along with GW-B5000. He said he doesn't believe B5600 really has a super twisted display, no matter what Casio says. I ordered it anyway because I like negative displays, and I don't have a square with a bracelet yet. It's listed as weighing 85 grams, I assume that is prior to sizing so after I remove three links, it should be under 80g. It's "Made (assembled) in China," with a caseback that is attached with four screws.

|>

It's pretty easy to tell if a Casio has an STN display or not. Simply hold the watch in your hands with the dial facing you. Then slowly turn the 12:00 side of the dial away from you. (i.e., rotate the watch slowly). If you can continue to read the digits even when the dial is at an extreme angle away from you, then the display is STN. If it does not have STN, the digits will start to fade out quickly once you begin rotating the dial away from your eyes.

(this is REALLY easy to do if you have a Casio that has a "known" STN display - then hold that one in one hand, and the other watch in the other hand, do the test above and compare how each of them looks at a severe angle. STN will be obvious.)

I'm personally at the point where STN is mandatory in any negative display watch. I also prefer it even w/a positive display. ;-)

Here are some pics -- STN vs. non-STN. With STN displays, as long as you can SEE the digits, you can read them.

fullsizeoutput_ac4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ac5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ac6.jpeg

Reactions: banderor and kenls
1 - 20 of 23 Posts