WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know much about those pieces, but would factor in size, thickness, and wearability for you when making a decision.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
The Glashütte. I’m not a fan of the 6 o’clock date window of the IWC

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
They’re similar, but quite different.
The Portugueser offers longer PR, raised polished arabics, and an interesting movement, with its updated Pellaton winding system.
The Senator Observer only offers 55 hours PR, but includes their patented big date display, and lumed hands and arabics. The movement is nice, but somewhat pedestrian by comparison.
If both were in a box, I’d, more often than not, reach for the GO to wear for the day.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
GS every day and twice on Mondays. They do things like the larger date complication so well, have interesting movements, and their dials are wonderful.

That said, both of these watches feature one of the most problematic design choices on a watch, IMHO: the pairing of power reserve indicator with an automatic movement. There is absolutely no purpose for PR indicators on an auto.... The whole point of it is to tell you when your watch needs winding, not something of use when you have an auto on your wrist. That is why I personally would prefer something like the GO Senator Chronometer (although the roman numerals may not be to your taste):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Black
Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery

Another option would be something like a Dornblüth which gets your a well-finished movement:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Pocket watch Circle Fashion accessory Gear

Best of luck on the decision!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I say the GO, but I'm biased as I actually have this watch. I think the overall look is more unique with the old fashioned Arabics. The lume is a nice touch. The execution of the big date is one of GOs signatures and is done very well here.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I say the GO, but I'm biased as I actually have this watch. I think the overall look is more unique with the old fashioned Arabics. The lume is a nice touch. The execution of the big date is one of GOs signatures and is done very well here.

Thanks for sharing that shot of the lume! It gives me even more respect for the dial-making prowess of GO. It is rare, indeed, to see the detailed level of lume on the sub-dials. And on the rare occasion you do, it tends to make things blotchy and over-sized in full light. As with so many of their dials, it is truly top-quality work. And despite my misgivings about PR on an automatic, I agree with your assessment of the Arabics on this particular version of the Senator Observer. Lovely.

·
Premium Member
9,576 Posts
GO is visually much more appealing. The big date and its location make for a better composition. The IWC's font and subdials are less interesting; the date window is disruptive and ugly there. The IWC dial is, at best, a mashup IMO.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
In fairness, you posted a great pic of the GO and a crap picture of the IWC...

But still, the GO is the way to go here. Disclaimer: I'm biased, I own the white dialed version.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
On a hand-wound there is tension in the winding to let you know you're at capacity. Not so on an automatic...so the PR comes in handy.

My pick would be the GO...can also be had for a bit less on the secondary market.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,042 Posts
IWC without a doubt. Absolute classic, great finish.
I was close to buy it but both watches do not fall into any category. Too big to be dressy and too delicate to be sporty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I absolutely love this GO! I think that IWC makes some really nice watches in their own right, but whenever I see a GO in the wild I think 2 things: 1) That guy/lady must really know his/her watches 2) What a beautiful original piece of watchmaking craftsmanship.

For that reason I would go with the GO.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the feedback! I wish the GO was 42mm instead of 44, that's what is really holding me back on the GO. Both beautiful though.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback! I wish the GO was 42mm instead of 44, that's what is really holding me back on the GO. Both beautiful though.
The GO is a large watch, but it doesn't wear huge. Have you ever tried it on? The lug to lug is only about 50.5 mm due to the short lugs. That is by no means a small watch, but I have had 42 mm watches with a longer lug to lug measurement.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
103 Posts
Both watches are exquisite, look similar but also unique in their different ways. I will go with the Glashütte. Hard choice though.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm curious why you say that. Other than the IWC power reserve, which involves double barrels, what's known to be better about it? It's likely that the finishing is better on the GO, though I haven't seen both.
I was referring to the IWC’s typically Swiss multi plates and bevelled edges, not to mention the rotor.
In comparison, the GO is rather tame and stereotypically Germanic matter-of-fact in its execution.
By contrast, when you see a GO Senator Chronograph Rattrapante’s finishing, which is so, so close to Datograph level, you know they have the capability when it’s required.
Of the two, the IWC will capture a bit more attention and interest when you flip it over, but in the absence of both on hand to compare directly, you’ll be more than pleased with the GO’s rear view.
As with all things aesthetic, it’ll always be purely a subjective matter, and personal to the individual.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Hi if you had to choose between either one, which one would you go for and why.
Easily the GO, in fact I'd have bought one if it was 2-4mm smaller!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts