WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - you have been helpful so far in my search for my first "big boy" watch. I believe I have narrowed it down to these two Oris watches. This watch will be my daily wear to work in a business casual environment...but also want to be able to wear with coat/tie...or with nice jeans and shirt. I can't decide if the one with the grey in it makes it look cheap, or too casual? Or does the grey give it more interest? The all black seems a bit easier to read and is maybe a little more classy? But then, is it too dressy for my business casual or even jeans wear? Or am I splitting hairs and it's a toss-up?

Anyway - which would you choose? I know it's personal preference...but any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Oris #1
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Oris #2
Watch Analog watch Photograph Watch accessory Silver

Premium Member
Something ordinary
If it is going to be 99% casual and 1% dress, go with the lighter dial. If it will be in dressy situations relatively often, the black is better IMHO.

Registered
Well, since you're asking opinions...I'd go with the black dial, simply because I prefer the aesthetics and think it's a "cleaner" look.I don't particularly care for the shape of the lighter portion of the gray dial (surrounding the sub-dials).

To dress it down a bit, I'm thinking it might look good on a smooth, black leather strap with white (or even blue) stitching? Typically, I think of a bracelet as the more casual option, but for this watch I really think leather makes the dial "pop".

Registered
I like the lighter dial look a tad better (they're both nice) but a strap would be preferred if it was me . . . .

Registered
I like the look of both watches and think either would be a good choice. I think it depends on your daily dress - grey with jeans, black with sport coat...

Registered
Given the choices, #1 Black. I don't like the look of the grey dial at all. The shape of the light grey area is busy and distracting in my opinion. I have a feeling you'd grow tired of the "unique" style of the grey, whereas the black is timeless.

Banned
Black much more modern and legible.

Registered
Great brand choice , guaranteed success with either choice , I prefer the black dial .....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all of you for your comments so far. To clarify the dress style...my "business casual" is really dress pants with a dress shirt. I probably only wear a sport coat (no tie) 3-5 times a year and then wear a tie 3 times a year.

Registered
Given the choices, #1 Black. I don't like the look of the grey dial at all. The shape of the light grey area is busy and distracting in my opinion. I have a feeling you'd grow tired of the "unique" style of the grey, whereas the black is timeless.
^^^ This 100% ^^^

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm zeroing in on the black one...my gut seems to agree with NeverEnough's comments. So that said - I see one offered at a good price at luxuryofwatches.com...does anyone know much about these guys? Would you buy from them? I think I can get the watch from an AD for about $1720 + tax. So I would save about $300 by buying it from luxuryofwatches.com. Is it worth it?

Registered
I like the grey. It's very easy to find great watches with black dials, and as your "big boy" collection grows, too many black dial watches will make your choices on "what should I wear today?" Harder. You can have a lot of fun with a grey dial watch. Although black technically goes with everything, it can sometimes be boring. With a grey dial, I think it opens you up to lighter color patterns and can make a variety of statements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts