WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "think" im in the market for a PO. Plan was to purchase a submariner or explorer II but AD is telling me a few years. Oh well Rolex can keep it then. I'm done playing their games....same AD told me he would put me on a waitlist for a BB58.

I currently have a Seamaster 2254.50 which I feel is a tad too large (lug to lug). My daily wears are a Marathon GSAR and a Ginault Ocean Rover II. My question is should I get the PO 39.5 or the 43.5. I have heard numerous people say they wear small.

For reference I also got rid of a Tudor Pelgaos as I felt it was too large as well. Any thoughts on which to purchase or any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well I'm afraid that it's only you that can answer the question and you have to try them both on to see. Saying that, I found that the larger size wasn't a problem at all.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
The 2254.50 has a lug to lug of 47mm but due to the bracelet endlinks it wears like 52mm. The 39.5mm PO has a lug to lug length of 44.5mm which is true due to the female style end links, so 100% go 39.5mm PO, but try it on first!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
My take is that PO might wear smaller with respect to its physical size. But I don't see PO wearing smaller than 2254.50.

I get that lug-to-lug is an important factor. But the watch case thickness and styling also matters. 2254.50 is only 11.5mm thick (or thin). What is PO 39.5mm thickness? Probably over 13 or 14 mm. And I find that PO styling make it appear bulky versus SMP 2254.50.

·
Registered
140 Posts
here is pelagos vs 43.5mm po on a 7” wrist. I ended up going with the pelagos since there is no 42 anymore in PO. The 39.5 was too tall for the case size.

If the pelagos was too big, I’d recommend the black bay 58 or 39.5 PO. Ormaybe older 42mm since those wear smaller than the case size.

Watch Hand Analog watch Finger Silver

Watch Analog watch Arm Azure Clock

·
Registered
308 Posts
PO 39.5, since you already felt the 2254.50 a tad too large & got rid of the Pelagos for the same reason. Will be good to try both on again, just to be sure.

·
Registered
Lord Matic Connoisseur
538 Posts
Unless you have larger than average wrists, I would steer to the smaller PO by default. It's a near guaranteed fit. But, boring as it is to say, it's best to try both on.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Definitely try the new POs on before taking the plunge. They are chunky; the thickness is pronounced relative to the 2254 or Submariner.

When I looked into the PO several years ago I ended up with a 2201.50, which I liked a lot. It was still thick, but much less so than the 8500 and 8900 models.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
I have both the 50th Anniversary GMT and a 2500 series PO. I don't think either wears too big or two small on by sub-seven-inch wrist.

The newer POs are chunky and the hand set is not to my liking.

But as others have said, IMHO, you simply have to get them on your wrist.

Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
39,876 Posts
Agree. The smaller 39.5 version is probably your best choice, IMHO.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. As much as I would like to try one on the nearest AD to me is almost 2 hours. Which is also why I have had zero luck with a submariner. The PO appears much "blingier" in the pictures ya'll have posted. Have me rethinking the PO now :unsure:😁. If I do pick one up will most definitely be the 39.5. Tall case sizes don't bother much like a long L2L. I hate when it over hangs my wrist.

Why can't Tudor make a 40mm Pelagos?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a 7.5 inch writs and I wear the 43.5. It's not too big for me, but I tend to gravitate to bigger watches. I have a Panerai, I have a Sea Dweller. . .

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. As much as I would like to try one on the nearest AD to me is almost 2 hours. Which is also why I have had zero luck with a submariner. The PO appears much "blingier" in the pictures ya'll have posted. Have me rethinking the PO now :unsure:. If I do pick one up will most definitely be the 39.5. Tall case sizes don't bother much like a long L2L. I hate when it over hangs my wrist.

Why can't Tudor make a 40mm Pelagos?
New POs are blingy… I have smaller wrists (17cm), but I e owned a couple 42mm PO2500 in the past. It’s a diver so it should a little bigger, but the slimmer case of the PO2500 definitely helps. Everything is also matte finished vs the shiny disk of the latest model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cybercat
1 - 20 of 39 Posts