WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be there for a couple of days next month, and with the favorable USD > CAD rate, thought I should tempt myself. Which retailers should I try to visit? Watch and non-watch related shopping recommendations would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As one living in Toronto, I find that it is still cheaper to buy online in $US, or even travel down to the US or the Caribbean. We have a 13% sales tax and we don't have the competition that you have in the states, so even with the exchange rate, our prices are pretty high.

Any suggestions for San Francisco, as I happen to be going there on Thursday for a week of fun, and what's more fun then getting a new watch.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As one living in Toronto, I find that it is still cheaper to buy online in $US, or even travel down to the US or the Caribbean. We have a 13% sales tax and we don't have the competition that you have in the states, so even with the exchange rate, our prices are pretty high.

Any suggestions for San Francisco, as I happen to be going there on Thursday for a week of fun, and what's more fun then getting a new watch.

Aw, I was kind of thinking that might end up being the case. Tax in SF is isn't great either (9.5%) and as far as I know there isn't a VAT style exemption in either direction.

There are quite a few boutiques, pretty much all in the Union Square area, so you can get your shopping done in one place. I've had bad experiences with Tourneau, but YMMV. Shreve & Co. has always been a nice experience, though they just were forced out of the building that they've been in for 100 years and that was named for them, due to rent pressures. They have a new location very nearby that I haven't visited yet. Rolex had a boutique, but they are now part of Tourneau. Tourbillion has the Swatch Group brands.

Oh we do have a Rolex Authorized Service Center here, and they are a pleasure to work with. The waiting list for servicing is always several months though.

If you like vintage Rolex, make an appointment at HQ Milton:
https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/watch-shopping-in-san-francisco-inside-hq-milton-mission

I've never been, but people seem to like Swiss Baume Jewelers

Omega has a "boutique" at SFO, international terminal, concourse G. It's inside the duty free store and is a bit dinky, but it's there if you have some time to kill on your way back out.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Raffi Jewellers is really good. However, I would stop in Oakville and visit Knar Jewelry. Awesome Rolex selection and fantastic, friendly staff.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which brands are you interested in?
All of them? ;)

I'll inevitably look at Omega, Rolex, etc, but honestly my sweet spot lately has been high value/non-Swiss. A Grand Seiko or another Nomos could be next. Been wanting to get a Max Bill or other Junghans. Got a long list of affordables that I would love to see in person and pick up: have several Seikos on the mind.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
All of them? ;)

I'll inevitably look at Omega, Rolex, etc, but honestly my sweet spot lately has been high value/non-Swiss. A Grand Seiko or another Nomos could be next. Been wanting to get a Max Bill or other Junghans. Got a long list of affordables that I would love to see in person and pick up: have several Seikos on the mind.
If you like Seiko and Citizen, I recommend visiting Lisa's Gems & Watches: Lisa's Gems & Watches - Jewelry Stores in Toronto, ON Good selection to see in-person, and great price (make sure you haggle).

·
Registered
23 Posts
For high-end swiss I would suggest going to Yorkdale mall. Lots of rolex, omega, zenith, jlc and others. European Jewelers also carries Glashutte Originals (as does Knarr in Oakville). Humbertown Jewelers has a great collection of jlc, patek, omega, iwc and others. Within the city proper check out Minh Chau on Spadina for longines and omega. They are aggressive with discounts. I got 30% off my legend diver just by asking (and that was something they had to order in for me). 25% off is advertised on their website. Royal de Versailles is supposed to be very good but I haven't been there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
+1 for checking out Yorkdale mall. Between birks, European jewellers, and raffi you have most of the high end brands. If you want to check out some pre-owned watches Van Rijk Jewellers has a huge selection of vintage and newer models.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
The following stores are within a few minutes walk of each other in the Bloor / Yorkville area downtown (not to confused with Yorkdale Mall).

Royal de Versailles -Rolex, JLC, AP, Blancpain, Breguet, VC, Omega, IWC, etc.
Louis Black - FPJourne, R Mille, etc.
Bandiera - Parmigiani, Zenith, Omega, etc
watchfinder - small second hand dealer

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Wow, with the 30% exchange and the discounts we can achieve I find it way cheaper to buy in Canada vs USA, even the US grey market.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You should be able to get 18% off a new sub. That will come to around 7k C$ with taxes around $ 7910 C$ That would be around $5800 US for a BNIB!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Visited many of the places mentioned when I was in Toronto last summer - I found the staff at Royal de Versailles to be accommodating and their selection was pretty good. Didn't go after anything, so can't say much about their willingness to negotiate prices, but I left with several product catalogs and they didn't seem to tire of me asking to try things on!

Humbertown is good too if you don't mind venturing out of the downtown area - impressive selection when I was there, and the owner seemed very willing to talk prices and offer discounts on each piece I expressed even the slightest amount of interest in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts