WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to choose one of these watches, which one would you buy, and why?

Sinn 103 Classic 12 60th Anniversary Edition (only 600 pieces)

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

Sellita chronograph movement
48 hour power reserve
Date window between 4 & 5 o’clock
Anti-magnetic
AR-Dehumidifying Technology
Low pressure resistant
Captive bezel with ceramic insert
Case: 41mm x 17mm with a 20mm lug width (47.5mm lug-to-lug)
200m water resistance
A modern, limited edition reinterpretation of a classic Sinn pilot watch

Heuer Autavia Heritage Chronograph (Discontinued)

Watch Analog watch Product Clock Font

In-house Heuer 02 movement
80 hour power reserve
Column wheel chronograph with vertical clutch
Date window integrated into 6 o’clock sub-dial
Aluminum bezel insert
Case: 42mm x 15.8mm with a 21mm lug width (50.4mm lug to lug)
100m water resistance
A modern reinterpretation of a classic Heuer racing watch

· Registered
12,539 Posts
Tough to pick one, they are both great watches! :) In the end, I think I'd prefer the Autavia for its movement, thinner case and cleaner look. Unless I was looking for a watch for outdoor activities specifically, then the Sinn wins hands down.

· Premium Member
282 Posts
What do you know about that Heuer 02 movement? Is it an update of the Heuer CH80? I know we all love in house movements, but chronos aren't 3 handers with a date. How is working in the real world? Any history of complaints or qc issues? Column wheel with a vertical clutch is supposed to be the pinnacle or chrono movements, but they aren't the simplest and can be more expensive to service, from what I understand.

A Sellita chrono is a known quantity. Not sexy and not a column wheel, but predictable and easy to maintain.

All that being said, they're both sharp looking,but I think I'd like the measurements of the Heuer better. Any chance to try on either of them?

· Registered
1,643 Posts
What do you know about that Heuer 02 movement? Is it an update of the Heuer CH80? I know we all love in house movements, but chronos aren't 3 handers with a date. How is working in the real world? Any history of complaints or qc issues? Column wheel with a vertical clutch is supposed to be the pinnacle or chrono movements, but they aren't the simplest and can be more expensive to service, from what I understand.

A Sellita chrono is a known quantity. Not sexy and not a column wheel, but predictable and easy to maintain.
I'd look into this, too, but in the end, I think the Sinn would win me over based on looks - I've always felt tha the Autavia is an awkwardly proportioned watch and also a reissue produced as if under the gun, with no enthusiasm at all. It's got all the right elements, but the sum of the parts ends up going nowhere for me. The Sinn, on the other wrist, is a thing of beauty.

· Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd look into this, too, but in the end, I think the Sinn would win me over based on looks - I've always felt tha the Autavia is an awkwardly proportioned watch and also a reissue produced as if under the gun, with no enthusiasm at all. It's got all the right elements, but the sum of the parts ends up going nowhere for me. The Sinn, on the other wrist, is a thing of beauty.
The Sinn at 41mm x 17mm is a thing of beauty, but the Autavia at 42mm x 15.8mm is awkwardly proportioned? Both are essentially little tuna cans on the wrist.

Are you referencing the bezel size, and the dial layout/configuration?

· Registered
1,643 Posts
All of the above, along with the hands, the typefaces, the lugs, the bevelling etc. Furthermore, proportions, at least the way I understand the term, are a relative thing in the sense that they're independent of the size of a watch

· Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

All that being said, they're both sharp looking,but I think I'd like the measurements of the Heuer better. Any chance to try on either of them?
You are correct, the progression of this in-house movement evolved from the Caliber1969 > CH80 > Heuer 02.

Here's an article from 2013:

Interestingly, the movement only has 168 parts, which theoretically should make it a bit easier to service. The movement has been on people's wrists since 2017. Today it is found in new Autavias, Carreras and Monacos.

· Premium Member
59,855 Posts
Both are nice. The movement will be better in the Heuer, but the Sinn has a great overall quality to it, IMHO, so I think it comes down to a coin toss for my decision.

Good luck. Either would make a nice addition to anyone's collection.

· Registered
680 Posts
I would go more for the look so Sinn is the choice. The layered sub-dials, the shape of the hands, the thinner bezel with the 12 rather than a triangle. The calender wheel is black so it blends into the black portion of dial well. Not sure if just the colours of the pictures but I find the off white colour of Sinn's sub-dials very nice too.

· Registered
15,313 Posts
I've seen the Autavia in person and I really liked it. I dislike the hands and the date on the Sinn and it's crazy thick. Part of the Autavia's thickness is due to the domed box crystal. The Autavia can also be hand with a nice bracelet.

· Registered
239 Posts
If you had to choose one of these watches, which one would you buy, and why?

Sinn 103 Classic 12 60th Anniversary Edition (only 600 pieces)

View attachment 16772635

Sellita chronograph movement
48 hour power reserve
Date window between 4 & 5 o’clock
Anti-magnetic
AR-Dehumidifying Technology
Low pressure resistant
Captive bezel with ceramic insert
Case: 41mm x 17mm with a 20mm lug width (47.5mm lug-to-lug)
200m water resistance
A modern, limited edition reinterpretation of a classic Sinn pilot watch

Heuer Autavia Heritage Chronograph (Discontinued)

View attachment 16772663

In-house Heuer 02 movement
80 hour power reserve
Column wheel chronograph with vertical clutch
Date window integrated into 6 o’clock sub-dial
Aluminum bezel insert
Case: 42mm x 15.8mm with a 21mm lug width (50.4mm lug to lug)
100m water resistance
A modern reinterpretation of a classic Heuer racing watch

I was in love with the Autavia and dead set on purchasing one. Once on the wrist, I was pretty disappointed with the sheer size (especially if you're familiar with the older models). The bezel is also much thicker than the nicely proportioned originals.

I would be getting the Sinn

· Registered
339 Posts
Another vote for Sinn.

They are both handsome watches, but subjectively, the Sinn looks to be better proportioned with then two pics shown above.

Plus I like that Sinn is one of those brands that most people wouldn’t recognize.

· Registered
233 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "chronos aren't 3 handers with a date." My SMP is three hands and a date and it sure is a chronograph, unless some new rule exists that they must only be bicompax.

· Registered
14,258 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "chronos aren't 3 handers with a date." My SMP is three hands and a date and it sure is a chronograph, unless some new rule exists that they must only be bicompax.
?????
a three hander is a watch with 3 hands - a chronograph will generally have at least 5 hands

· Premium Member
282 Posts
A 3 hander is a watch that tells time. Everything on top of that is a complication, the date being the most common. I dont know the stats on mechanical watch movement production but I would guess that 3 handers represent a substantial majority of all movements.

With every complication you add moving parts, labor, and the possibility of chaos. Chronos are not uncommon, but they are a substantially different animal than a time only watch. Look what happened with the Zenith Chronomasters that were having sub dial issues. Zenith is (or should be) the pinnacle of automatic chronographs, yet even they released a watch into the wild that had a serious defect.

Our watches are engineering marvels. Some manufacturers are better than others. Sometimes great manufacturers make mistakes. Do your homework and buyer beware.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
The Sinn looks overall more elegant to me (although 17mm is BIG). What's your wrist size, OP ? Can you pull off something as thick as 17mm ? If you're under 8in wrist-size, the Heuer might wear better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.