WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know it's apples & oranges [not quite ] but I'm torn between a new SMP -Ceramic [black ] or

A classic SMP -2254.50 [nice shape ,full package ,2001-2002].

The new SMP will cost about $1300 more. I really like the classic sword hands etc.
But a brand new SMP is sweet ... ;-)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Both are nice watches, however I would opt for the 2254.50 probably for a couple of reasons:
- Bracelet is less flashy than the SMPc. I always liked the 2254.50 and Speedy bracelet.
- You can't beat the reliability of the 1120 movement in the 2254...it's a workhorse to say the least.
- Not sure if I could justify paying an additional $1300 for the SMPc

The SMPc is more refined in aesthetics but not sure if you're necessarily getting a "better" watch for the additional price. The 2254 will remain collectible to Omega fans so you shouldn't have a problem selling it down the road.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Being a classic SMP fan for 17 years, I like the traditional bracelet ... just the right amount of functional sturdiness and aesthetic appeal. Moreover, I think the new SMPc is the watch that can keep you from buying a Sub-C down the road. As I've observed before, if I had bought my SMPc prior to getting the Sub-C, I might have passed on the Sub. It's that nice.

I know the 2254.50 is enormously popular with a sizable contingent on WUSOF, but I've never thought it was superior to the classic Bond. And the ceramic bezel just makes a good thing better. Worth the extra money.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
classic 2254. always loved it-always will. I just couldn't justify the purchase along with the PO45 I bought. As a vintage guy-I reasoned=PO45 and SM300 '60s--OR--SMP2254 and 70s Baby ploprof

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking for a 2254 from the last year or so of the run .. 2006-2007? I could keep looking for it as a sort of grail [mint ,complete , globy thing on back etc.]
Get the ceramic now ... or will the 2254 be harder to find later

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I find the dial on the 2254 a little overpowering due to the size and shape of the markers. still much prefer it over the bond version which now, at least to me, looks kind of dated-especially the blue. I think the new SMPc is worth the premium, it's a lovely looking watch.

Now If you got the 2254 would you be likely to forget about the new shiny Seamaster, or would you have those 'what if' niggles.. i know i would :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have both. By a slight margin I would choose the current ceramic. It has kept me from buying a Subc but I am still fighting that battle. Both are great watches. The 2254 certainly has its strong points, great lume, a more comfortable bracelet especially if you can find one with the Speedy bracelet. The 2254 is getting harder to find too so if a nice one does pop up I would not hesitate to buy. I do think the ceramic is Omega's nicest SMP. I really like the hands, the gloss dial. The only downside for me is the Bond bracelet

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 2220.80 is a keeper ! Thought I'd like a black face SMP as well . ..the ceramic is growing on me .
By the way ,I just got the speedmaster pro ..love it

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The 2220.80 is a keeper ! Thought I'd like a black face SMP as well . ..the ceramic is growing on me .
By the way ,I just got the speedmaster pro ..love it
Congrats on the speedy pro ... Then I suggest you should get the 2254.50 first as they are harder to come by...the smpC will be around for a while and at the rate you are going, you're probably going to end up with the smpC in the near future too ...lol

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trading my Rolex is costing me mucho $$. My love affair with Omegas is too passionate .
Maybe we should slow things down . I don't think so I'll just sell a few watches not being used . Oops the few I have won't add up to 2k.
I could rationalize & say I won't get the seiko MM300 or even the Sumo and some other SARB'S . I know I'll tell the kids 2 years of college is fine

·
Registered
652 Posts
2254 all the way. The 2220 or new ceramic "Bond" dial and hands look very dated to me. They remind of the mid-90's Brosnan Bond era.

Better yet get a 2231 (titanium version 2254, black wave dial).

1110040-1.jpg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Why settle? Both, of course!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went for the new SMPc. Think it looks gorgeous in black, especially that glossy dial.

At the end of the day though it is personal preference.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
2254 - because it is discontinued and is almost as good looking as the ceramic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It depens on the look your going for. Having already owned a 2254, I sold it since I found the numbers on the bezel to be too big for an everyday diver-style watch to wear at the office. If it was for casual wear only, then I would have probably kept it. IMO, the black SMPc and black PO2500 (i'm biased) rank at the top for everyday Omega dive watches.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It depens on the look your going for. Having already owned a 2254, I sold it since I found the numbers on the bezel to be too big for an everyday diver-style watch to wear at the office. If it was for casual wear only, then I would have probably kept it. IMO, the black SMPc and black PO2500 (i'm biased) rank at the top for everyday Omega dive watches.
Add to those two the black "Bond-style" co-axial SMP with skeleton hands. I could keep only one watch, so I eventually sold my SMPc and the PO-LM-LE. I found that the co-axial SMP is what I need to have from a 24/7 watch (for now...) and I have some strong points to back this up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts