WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which Speedie would you buy if none had been in space?

• Professional (1861, 42mm, Hesalite)

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Professional (1863, 42mm, Sapphire/Sandwich)

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Professional Moonphase (1866, 42mm, Sapphire/Sandwich)

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • FOIS / CK2998 (1861, 40mm)

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Moonwatch (9300, 44mm, 2 dial)

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • X side of the Moon (9300, 44mm, 2 dial)

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • '57 (9300, 41.5mm, 2 dial, metal bezel)

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Mark II (3330, 42.5mm, lugless)

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Racing (3330, 40mm, 3 dial + date)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X-33 (45mm, ana-digital)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Z-33 (43mm, ana-digital, funky case!)

Votes: 1 1.8%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A bit of fun to liven up the mid-week...

I was browsing the Speedmaster line the other day when I thought:

"What if Omega had not been selected by NASA and no Speedmaster had been to the moon nor gone into space?
Without the historical space connection then which Speedmaster would I buy?"

The Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch obviously benefits from that association as to a lesser extent does the FOIS...
But in an alternate reality where it hadn't happened, which Speedmaster would be the most popular?

So, here's the ask: browse the Speedmaster range, wipe your mind of all that space marketing and ask yourself if you were going to buy a good quality chronograph and had to select one Speedmaster, which would it be?
Answer the poll and explain why in the replies!
Think about variations in size, hands, sub-dials, lugs, crown guards, materials, movement - but don't think about space!

(For this poll I've excluded the more exclusive limited editions; Snoopy, Apollo XI, HB-SIA. Also I've combined the limited CK2998 into the stylistically similar FOIS)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would still pick the original hesalite speedmaster professional. I didn't buy mine because of the space stuff, I bought it because I like heritage in a watch, and that model is so unchanged over the decades.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought I had this straight in my mind before posting this poll, but after listing them all I doubted myself, so I had to go back and think some more... :)

I would hypothetically be looking for an everyday watch, which would probably mean automatic, maybe with a date.
I always prefer sapphire crystal and a view of the movement.
I like the 2 sub-dial layout with combined chronograph minutes and hours (which can be used as a second timezone).
Symmetrical case design (no crown guard)
Not too big <42mm

So for me I think I would go for the class of '57:
SP_Speedmaster57_33110425101002_vueC_1600x900.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
I'm not a space nut and the NASA tie in has never been a factor in my Speedmaster purchases (I have 3).

I chose the CK2998 (LE version) because I think it is the best looking Speedmaster ever. Whether I actually get one is another matter entirely since it is an LE...:roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'm not a space nut and the NASA tie in has never been a factor in my Speedmaster purchases (I have 3).

I chose the CK2998 (LE version) because I think it is the best looking Speedmaster ever. Whether I actually get one is another matter entirely since it is an LE...:roll:
Don't give up hope yet, even though this is the last day of August. I'm still mildly optimistic.

There are so many, I could have a collection of just Speedmasters. I currently have (1) The One (3570.50), (2) Mitsukoshi Conversion (3572.50 based), (3) FOIS and (4) MK II (reissue, racing dial). Have a deposit in for (5) the CK2998, keep drooling over (6) the one in post #4 and (7) the new blue moon phase Speedmaster .....

·
Registered
339 Posts
If there was no space connection. I don't think the 1861 hesalite would really be that popular. Likely phased out as most plastic crystals moved onto sapphire by the 80's. That's why I'm going for the beautiful/complicated moonphase!

·
Registered
887 Posts
57 by size, practicality, and some atreactive design features, and then the pro "hypithetically not moonwatch" because the design is still beautiful and the price pretty good

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those of you on Tapatalk:

27 votes in and Pro Hesalite has the lead on 10 votes...

Looks like people like the old school manual wind plastic display even without the history...

Pro Sapphire, FOIS and 57 all close for second.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I voted for the hesalite.. the original one in my eyes :p

·
Registered
493 Posts
The moonwatch 9300 despite how silly the name would be if none had been to space. It's a technological masterpiece with the coaxial movement and is quite easy in the eyes as well. It's a bit pricier than some others listed but is my overall favorite once you remove the nostalgia of the space program.

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
I would still pick the hesalite version, I really love the warmth it give to the dial.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last call for votes.

History aside looking at the full range of Speedies would you really pick the Manual wind Pro Hesalite?

Currently a third of you would.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts