WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker, but haven't posted much, indeed so far I have not owned any worthy watches. However, I'm thinking of buying my first real watch soon, and am faced with a horrible dilemma. Perhaps you can help me ;)

I'm set on buying a Speedmaster Professional, but I can't seem to decide on which one of the 3570.50 or the 3573.50 I like most. I know this question has been asked a billion times, but I have some unique (at least I think ;) ) concerns.

I love the history of the watch, and love its design. I also think the movement is a thing of beauty, and should be exposed, as it is in the 3573.50. However, I also really love the seahorse on the solid caseback, and the inscription "Flight Qualified by NASA for all manned space missions". Don't get either with the display back :/

I have two concerns about the Sapphire Crystal: first, the AR coating on the outside. I'm afraid of scratching it, which would defeat the purpose of the sapphire crystal in the first place. I'm also afraid of shattering it, as each and every one of the watches I've owned so far have had their (plastic) crystals cracked one way or another. The replacement price is quite prohibitive.

As far as cost is concerned, I'm looking at keeping the watch for a lifetime, so the price difference between both models is not too much of a concern in the long haul. I know some of you will recommend buying a used hesalite/sapphire version, but for my first real watch, I would like to buy new.

I guess this brings me to a few questions: Is it possible to fit a metal case back on the 3573.50, as crazy as this might sound, for a change once in a while?

Is the 1861 movement really not worthy of being displayed? I know the 1863 has a higher level of finish, and the 1861 has a plastic part, but any concrete experiences with the conversion to a display back?

And finally, I'd love to hear your stories about which choice you made, and if you had any subsequent regrets, one way or the other.

Cheers, and thanks for a great community!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The display back models, 3572.50 (hesalite/sapphire) and the 3573.50 (sapphire sandwich), require taller movement rings than the steel backed 3570.50.

The height of the movement ring on the display back models will not allow the steel back to seat flush with the case.

To replace the display back with the steel would require replacing the movement ring with the standard found in the 3570.50. Additionally, you would need to install a dust cover over the movement as this holds the movement in place.

In other words, it can be done but requires removal of the movement and some extra parts.

My preference would be as always a nice previously owned 3572.50 hesalite/sapphire but based upon your desires, I suggest a 3570.50 and picking up a display back down the road.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi Sheytan, glad you hopped in. It sticks in my mind that John Wilson might have done (or at least is prepared to do) just what you propose - put the 3570 back on the 3573. Nothing wrong with that idea if it works - that'd be appealing to me too. A little search might disclose whether John did that, or perhaps he'll jump in here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sheytan:

I just took receipt of my 3570.50 and I could not be happier! While I would probably enjoy looking at the movement once in awhile, those times would be very few (I believe). For me, I wanted the model that was a very close cousin of what landed on the moon. I believe the current 3570.50, along with the X-33, are the only watches qualified to do an EVA on a Space Shuttle mission (someone correct me if I am wrong here).

All that said, it is really about what you want. I will repeat the words of many wise forum members, "Go to your local AD and try them both on, side by side. Then leave the store and go and have a drink. Relax and think about what you really want. Then and only then, go back to the AD, or call the Favorite AD and place your order."

Regardless of which model you purchase, know that it is a wonderful watch and should provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I believe the current 3570.50, along with the X-33, are the only watches qualified to do an EVA on a Space Shuttle mission (someone correct me if I am wrong here).
The X-33 is not EVA approved. It's a bit too cold out in space for the battery and it's not quite as shock proof as the trusty mechanical speedy. But the X-33 has a lot more chronograph functions, dual timezone, alarm and backlight. I think they complement each other perfectly, giving the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I believe the current 3570.50, along with the X-33, are the only watches qualified to do an EVA on a Space Shuttle mission (someone correct me if I am wrong here).
I'll skip the EVA issue since I doubt there are any in my immediate future, but I absolutely agree with:

"Go to your local AD and try them both on, side by side. Then leave the store and go and have a drink. Relax and think about what you really want. Then and only then, go back to the AD, or call the Favorite AD and place your order."
Geneva is spot on! Try'em on, soak up the vibe, relax and then pounce!

The "always be ready to walk away empty handed" plan works in all situations where you're buying quality goods. The salesfolks NEED you more than you WANT the watch. Remember that and then you can really enjoy the comparison since you are immune to their sales rap, then savor that drink, and eventually your watch!

Personally I favor the 3220.50...I'm a Day-Date man! Ahhh, one day soon!

DJ

·
Registered
661 Posts
So the Speedmaster Professional (3570.50) is the only watch approved by NASA for EVA's?
Basically yes, although several versions of the Pro have been approved

1 - 8 of 8 Posts