WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to buy my first Speedmaster and really the like the Reduced. In your experience is one more favored than the other? Meaning the panda better than the all black? All calibers are similar with same piggyback module? Is one model year more favored over others? Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,539 Posts
It’s a preference. I have a 3510.50 which is all black and has a bracelet although I just ordered a black leather strap for diversity. Good sized watch and being a self winding makes it convenient.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I’m getting ready to buy my first Speedmaster and really the like the Reduced. In your experience is one more favored than the other? Meaning the panda better than the all black? All calibers are similar with same piggyback module? Is one model year more favored over others? Thanks all.

The black dial for sure. I've never been a fan of the panda dials. Also, you may want to take a look at the Speedmaster FOIS which also has sub 40mm case. The cost is definitely higher, but it is a manual wind which I highly prefer. I have both self winding and manual wind watches. Manual winds are so much easier to deal with. Just crank them once a day and wear them or not they are ready to go, no winders or resetting needed. Finally, if size is the issue remember that the Speedmaster Pro is not really a 42mm case. That measurement includes the crown guards. The case itself is smaller so the Speedy Pro wears more like a 40-41mm watch. There isn't much of a difference between 39.7mm and 41mm. Anyway, good luck!

speedydimensionslg.jpg

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I own the 3510.50 which is the classic black dial variety. To me that’s the best looking of them all, even the panda or blue dial. The 3539.50 is the upgraded newer model with the better bracelet (to some) and better movement and it’s about $500-$750 more expensive from what I have seen. It’s a nice upgrade but honestly I’m fine with the original 3510.50. The date version is also nice looking in person and if you like a busy dial the triple date is the one for you.

2A106324-99EE-46AD-967E-9948AABC6568.jpeg

·
Registered
470 Posts
I own the 3510.50 which is the classic black dial variety. To me that’s the best looking of them all, even the panda or blue dial. The 3539.50 is the upgraded newer model with the better bracelet (to some) and better movement and it’s about $500-$750 more expensive from what I have seen. It’s a nice upgrade but honestly I’m fine with the original 3510.50. The date version is also nice looking in person and if you like a busy dial the triple date is the one for you.

View attachment 12821055
in my opinion, this is not only the best-looking reduced, but is also the best-looking Speedmaster model, bar none. I would love to own one someday to compliment the traditional Moonwatch (which I happen to find a bit big for my taste nowadays).

Reactions: trott3r

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I’ve owned a Speedy Pro, FOIS and both actual Reduced models, 3510.50 and 3539.50. Across the bezel from 9 to 3, the Pro is 39.7mm. The FOIS is 39.7mm. The Pro wears slightly larger because of the crown guards and twisted lugs. It is the crown guards, not the crown, that accounts for the additional 2.3mm.

The Reduced models wear small for this same reason. Omega measures from roughly 10 to 4 and include the crown guards. On the Reduced models (the actual Reduced, the two models named here—not other “39mm” models or the Mk40, etc) the bezel from 9 to 3 is roughly 36mm. The watch wears like a 36 to 37mm watch. If you buy a Reduced be aware of this. It does, in fact, wear small. The measurements taken above are of the case, however, visually, the extra case beyond the bezel means very little. I encourage someone to take calipers and measure the bezel only to not include any part of the case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts