• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello --

I have decided to purchase a Rolex Submariner for my daily beater. The two models I am looking at purchasing at the 14060M and the 114060. I plan on using this watch for literally everything and do not plan on babying it. I plan to use the sub to dive, hike, camp, swim with ect. I really want to a watch to live in while occasionally rotating it out with some of my other vintage pieces.

Both of theses models should have Lum that works and are COSC certified which is what I'm looking for. The big appeal of the 114060 is the upgraded bracelet and the fact that it is the most modern sub that will surely hold up against almost anything that you throw at it, and the appeal of the 14060M is that it will take on some aging that the 114060 might not show, however the bracelet is not as good. I worry that while the 14060M might age in a cool way but might need more servicing than the modern piece.

Can anyone speak to their experience on owning either model and which they think would be the best daily beater and explain why. Thank you for time, consideration, and wisdom. Also do you think the 114060 will age in some ways similar to the 14060M?

Finally, can anyone speak to the differences between the standard sub case and the maxi case and how they wear as a daily beater.

Please vote in the poll!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
You can't really go wrong with either. Don't buy into the "superior" bracelet deal. Yes, the 114060 has the glidelock and is more solid overall but the 14060 has been tried and true for decades. You should get a great fit without needed micro adjustment on the fly. Even as a daily beater, the 14060 is lighter and more subdued which is a plus. I have a 16570 and sometimes I opt for that over my sd4k for daily wear. The 114060 will be more expensive if you damage the ceramic bezel given you plan on doing everything with it so consider that. The 114060 will definitely not age like the 14060 due to the ceramic. Legibility the 114060 wins hands down. I'm a huge fan of the maxi dial. As far as cases, there are fanatics on both sides that hate on the other. Try them both on if you can and see what you like.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'd go modern for daily wear, vintage/neo-vintage for rotational appreciation. At the very least, the chances for needing service would be further out on the 114060 than the 14060M (unless it was just serviced by the seller, but even still...).

·
Premium Member
21,971 Posts
Hello --

I have decided to purchase a Rolex Submariner for my daily beater. .... I plan on using this watch and not babying it. dive, hike, camp, swim with ect.(sic)
::
...appeal of the 114060 is the upgraded bracelet and the fact that it is the most modern sub that will surely hold up against almost anything that you throw at it,
...appeal of the 14060M is that it will take on some aging that the 114060 might not show, however the bracelet is not as good.
I worry that while the 14060M might age in a cool way but might need more servicing than the modern piece.

Congratulations on deciding to get a Submariner. Firstly, I can tell you that there isn't much difference between the 14060M and the 114060. The "M" signifies the updated movement and that movement is a calibre 3130 which both the 14060M and 114060 shares. If anything, servicing could be easily carried out by a good, qualified watchmaker that you know and it doesn't need to always be the RSC.

When you say daily beater, I don't think you will be using it to drive a nail into the wall but what you really meant was that it is a daily wearer. No watch will stand up to abuse, so if you're going to wear this and work on a jack hammer, then I recommend a G-shock.

As @iTreelex said, people give too much credit to the new bracelet. Old ones have survived some extreme water sports and gone on dives without problems. Just think what watch people used for diving before the 114060 came along?

A point to note though, go for the 4-liner 14060M which is COSC certified and I think they switched it up to solid end links. That way, you will have a watch as close to the newer 114060 but still retained the 5 digit case and aluminium bezel insert.

Here's an article from Bob's Watches that will make interesting reading. Good luck |>

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/watch-review/last-best-rolex-submariner-ref-14060.html

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have the Sub Date ceramic and would never get rough with it - wear it to the gym, change my oil, mow the lawn, etc. It’s just too nice.

I’m sure it could handle it all. But it’s like a $75,000 pick up truck; too nice to work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations on deciding to get a Submariner. Firstly, I can tell you that there isn't much difference between the 14060M and the 114060. The "M" signifies the updated movement and that movement is a calibre 3130 which both the 14060M and 114060 shares. If anything, servicing could be easily carried out by a good, qualified watchmaker that you know and it doesn't need to always be the RSC.

When you say daily beater, I don't think you will be using it to drive a nail into the wall but what you really meant was that it is a daily wearer. No watch will stand up to abuse, so if you're going to wear this and work on a jack hammer, then I recommend a G-shock.

As @iTreelex said, people give too much credit to the new bracelet. Old ones have survived some extreme water sports and gone on dives without problems. Just think what watch people used for diving before the 114060 came along?

A point to note though, go for the 4-liner 14060M which is COSC certified and I think they switched it up to solid end links. That way, you will have a watch as close to the newer 114060 but still retained the 5 digit case and aluminium bezel insert.

Here's an article from Bob's Watches that will make interesting reading. Good luck |>

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/watch-review/last-best-rolex-submariner-ref-14060.html
Thank you for the additional reading and the thoughtful and insightful answer!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Every Rolex I've ever owned is a daily beater.....
Don't overthink it....
For the past 2 years a Date-Just-41 on Jubilee has had top spot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello --

I have decided to purchase a Rolex Submariner for my daily beater. .... I plan on using this watch and not babying it. dive, hike, camp, swim with ect.(sic)
...appeal of the 114060 is the upgraded bracelet and the fact that it is the most modern sub that will surely hold up against almost anything that you throw at it,
...appeal of the 14060M is that it will take on some aging that the 114060 might not show, however the bracelet is not as good.
I worry that while the 14060M might age in a cool way but might need more servicing than the modern piece.

Here's an article from Bob's Watches that will make interesting reading. Good luck

Iirc the 14060m never came with SEL.

·
Registered
765 Posts
BT1985...I’m disliking you right now. I have 114060 but now you make me question if the 5 digit would be more suitable as a daily for me. Do you miss the 114060 at all? I do find the 6 digit case comfortable, so that’s not an issue...decisions decisions ��

·
Registered
263 Posts
BT1985...I’m disliking you right now. I have 114060 but now you make me question if the 5 digit would be more suitable as a daily for me. Do you miss the 114060 at all? I do find the 6 digit case comfortable, so that’s not an issue...decisions decisions
I loved the 114060, don’t get me wrong. Totally a matter of taste for me. To me the 14060m was just what I wanted due to having many modern upgrades but with the classic case design. For example an upgraded movement, engraved rehaut and superluminova. The case proportions of the pre ceramic subs and the slimmer clasp just wear a bit more comfortable to me and I also think the 14060 looks better on straps. 6 digits really only seem to work on custom rubber straps in my opinion. I also love that the 14060m is a modern 5 digit that has lug holes which makes strap changes easy. I do miss the maxi dial of the 114060 though. Sorry about complicating your decision..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,743 Posts
Slightly different perspective but how big is your wrist?
I have an 8.25" wrist and always found the pre Maxi Subs looked lost in the ham
But I now wear a Maxi case sub and, though still only 40mm/my smallest watch, its fine

You cant wrong with any of em - but size could be a factor

IMG_2134.jpeg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slightly different perspective but how big is your wrist?
I have an 8.25" wrist and always found the pre Maxi Subs looked lost in the ham
But I now wear a Maxi case sub and, though still only 40mm/my smallest watch, its fine

You cant wrong with any of em - but size could be a factor

View attachment 15173235

Love the wristshot my wrist size is average 7.25-7.5. My largest watch is a dox graph 750t (46mm) but wears much smaller. Do you think the maxi will be too large for my wrist?

·
Premium Member
6,743 Posts
I think the Maxi would be perfect for you - a tad small for me - but its a legend so had to have it
I will trade it in or give to my son when the SD43 comes to the AD

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're welcome. Do post your new watch here when you get it so we have closure to the thread. :)

Meanwhile, stay safe and keep healthy.
I absolutely will! I'm going to take a month and try on both pieces and make my decision.

·
Registered
21,847 Posts
Either is a great choice for a tough do anything watch.

I voted slim lugs (Which apparently the 2021 models will have) as opposed to the fat case, purely for proportions.

Reactions: Franco333
1 - 20 of 56 Posts