WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a GW6900BC Casio G Shock watch and I like it very very much.

However it seems that I can use either the RUS or the JED time zone for Turkey and either one would work all year long.

However I am unsure whether I would be able to receive the Multi Band 6 radio wave while I'm in Antalya, and whether it would matter in terms of signal reception if I set the time zone to either Rus or Jed while living in Antalya Turkey?

Registered
That's a nice watch.

If it were me I would set it to Saudi Arabia. Jeddah is about 200 miles closer than Moscow and the signal would not have as many obstacles to contend with, e. g. mountains, political, etc. If the GW6900BC does not grab the signal from Jeddah it may try to find another source on its own.

You can always reset the watch from Jed to Rus to see if that setting works better. In either case, the GW6900BC will be reaching out ~1100 to ~1400 miles for the synchronization which may be toward the limits of capability.

Good Luck on your move!
馃崁
Celt

UPDATE: See GaryK30's correction in reply #4 below.

Premium Member
I think I would set it to JED too and see how it got on. Hanging your watch on a metal frame which acts as an aerial at night can help if reception is borderline.

Registered
The JED time zone does not appear to support MB6 on the GW-6900. These are the time zones that support MB6.

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

Registered
Antalya, Turkey has the same exact time as Athens, Greece. Set your watch to Athens and you should be getting the time signal from Mainflingen, Germany. My nephew owns the atomic GWM5620 G-Shock and he lives in the southern most part of Greece in Kalamata and he has no problem getting the reception and time signal from Germany. I never have a problem getting the signal either whenever i go there either. Antalya is located on the Mediterranean like Kalamata. Set your watch to the Athens time zone and you shouldn't have a problem obtaining the signal. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Antalya, Turkey has the same exact time as Athens, Greece. Set your watch to Athens and you should be getting the time signal from Mainflingen, Germany. My nephew owns the atomic GWM5620 G-Shock and he lives in the southern most part of Greece in Kalamata and he has no problem getting the reception and time signal from Germany. I never have a problem getting the signal either whenever i go there either. Antalya is located on the Mediterranean like Kalamata. Set your watch to the Athens time zone and you shouldn't have a problem obtaining the signal. Good luck.
I just changed the World Time to ATH and it's 0116, and Cairo is also 0117, JRS is 0117, but MOW is 0217 and JED is 0217. It seems like the only 2 Time Zones that is in sync with Antalya Time is either Moscow or Jeddah?

So I googled Athens time and it is indeed the same as AYT Time, but why does my Casio register it as 1 hour earlier than Turkish Time?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The JED time zone does not appear to support MB6 on the GW-6900. These are the time zones that support MB6.

View attachment 16120784
Woah This is extremely important information.
So does that mean that if I change the time zone of my GW6900BC to JED, the watch will refuse to communicate with Mainflingen DE even if it is within the reception range?
And my best bet in Turkey is probably MOW?

Registered
Woah This is extremely important information.
So does that mean that if I change the time zone of my GW6900BC to JED, the watch will refuse to communicate with Mainflingen DE even if it is within the reception range?
And my best bet in Turkey is probably MOW?
If you set the time zone to JED, the watch will not attempt an MB6 sync.

You should set it to ATH (as @hoss said above) or MOW.

If you set it to ATH, you'll have to turn DST off. MOW apparently doesn't have DST, so Auto DST should still work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you set the time zone to JED, the watch will not attempt an MB6 sync.

You should set it to ATH (as @hoss said above) or MOW.

If you set it to ATH, you'll have to turn DST off. MOW apparently doesn't have DST, so Auto DST should still work.
Great point.
I'll set it to MOW first, and if I am consistently not able to receive any MB6 signal, I'll use the ATH DST off method.

Registered
Great point.
I'll set it to MOW first, and if I am consistently not able to receive any MB6 signal, I'll use the ATH DST off method.
Changing between MOW and ATH won't affect reception, because both of them use the same two European transmitters, in England and Germany.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info. It is great to get confirmation that switching to different time zones will indeed affect whether the watch will receive signals from MB6 towers. I guess while in Antalya I would use MOW and hope that there can be signals received by my casio g shock.

Registered
Changing between MOW and ATH won't affect reception, because both of them use the same two European transmitters, in England and Germany.
Your best bet will be to use ATHENS. Reason being is that Athens has DST just like Antalya does. Moscow does NOT have DST. Use ATHENS for Antalya and you will be all set. Your watch should be able to get the signal from Germany from Antalya without any problem.

Registered
Athens is your only choise.
Antalya is 2267km away from DCF77.
Good propagation and watch orientation (~316掳) are mandatory for getting a valid synch.
My longest distance was 2000km from Crete.
Can be done.
Good luck 馃 and please report results.

Registered
Your best bet will be to use ATHENS. Reason being is that Athens has DST just like Antalya does. Moscow does NOT have DST. Use ATHENS for Antalya and you will be all set. Your watch should be able to get the signal from Germany from Antalya without any problem.
There is no DST in Antalya according to these links, which is why I suggested MOW, which does not have DST.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is no DST in Antalya according to these links, which is why I suggested MOW, which does not have DST.

Very interesting, so why that when I google the time in Athens and Turkey they are the same, but when I check on my Casio Watch, the ATH time zone is 1 hour behind of Turkey, what's the reason behind this?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what should I use if Turkey doesn't use DST anymore since 2016?
does turkey have dst - Google Search

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Athens is your only choise.
Antalya is 2267km away from DCF77.
Good propagation and watch orientation (~316掳) are mandatory for getting a valid synch.
My longest distance was 2000km from Crete.
Can be done.
Good luck 馃 and please report results.
Will do, I wish I could have gone to GR but TR has lower immigration requirements haha!

Registered
Very interesting, so why that when I google the time in Athens and Turkey they are the same, but when I check on my Casio Watch, the ATH time zone is 1 hour behind of Turkey, what's the reason behind this?
I'm not sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts