WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Omega Speedmaster Racing (3330, panda dial) or Tag Heuer Heritage 41mm chronograph (cal. 1887, white dial, blue hands).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree 9300 is great. POC 44mm is a big too huge for me and already own PO 42mm. Also considering the speedmaster 57 which houses 9300.

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
speedmaster 321 from 66-68 would be my answer

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,026 Posts
I agree 9300 is great. POC 44mm is a big too huge for me and already own PO 42mm. Also considering the speedmaster 57 which houses 9300.
Back to your original question.

I have a problem with Tag. AFAIK their 1887 movement was essentially licensed from Seiko. If so why just not to buy Seiko for less?

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Omega Speedmaster Racing (3330, panda dial) or Tag Heuer Heritage 41mm chronograph (cal. 1887, white dial, blue hands).
Of these 2 I like the Tag, mainly because of the white dial/blue hands, which is a look I like in a lot of watches.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi guys,

I don't think it's a stupid question personally, and of course most people will be biased (me too) but here's my take on it.

Tag heuer Carrera 1887: Nice classic looking watch, def not tacky as some TAG's out there (imo). Movement is in house but the technology is indeed bought from Seiko (more info on this and some nice pics here: A Week On The Wrist: The TAG Heuer Carrera 1887 41mm Chronograph)
TAG as a company is not regarded as highly as it used to be decades ago imo (I'm talking about WIS like us, not general public) because they've been using ETA ebauchés of a couple hundred dollars and have been selling their watches for thousands, so from an insider standpoint (so people who care about the mechanical side of it) they've lost quite some respectability in my eyes. I'm not saying you should take that in consideration but it's something worth mentioning I guess ;-)

Omega Speedmaster Racing: More sporty looks as opposed to the classic look of the TAG. It's personal style but imo the panda dial is the nicest of the Racing line and if I had to choose one, that would probably be the one I'd pick. Now the movement as far as I know is nothing too special, there have been quite a few posts on it lately so you can def check that out.https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/omega-3330-movement-962063.html
My personal opinion on this one is that I'm not attracted to it, it just doesn't do anything to me, but of course that's personal. It's a good looking watch but not one I'd consider buying. Talking about brand reputation, Omega has done considerably better imo than TAG, it has developed inhouse calibres such as the 8500 and 9300 (admittedly TAG has also been working on their 1969, which looks great aswell but it hasn't yet recovered from their previous brand 'damage' again imo..)

Now of to the verdict (+ a little side story), I can very much relate to you because when I was looking for my first expensive watch I was first drawn to the TAG Carrera line (the normal 'date' version) because of it's widely recognised brand image and I liked the looks of it plus it had a chronograph function. I'm talking about this one:
CV2010-BA0794_FXA.jpg

I then went on to look at the competition and logically looked at Omega. I had set my price point at about 3000 EUR (I'm talking about probably 3 years ago here) And was seriously considering this automatic Speedmaster Date because it was in my price range and I liked the overall look and the nylon strap. It was 40mm and an ideal size for my small wrist (and I'm talking small, 16cm or so) :

32332404004001-20.png

So in some ways your dilemma was the same as mine 3 years ago, though the watches have been updated :-d Now I was in a situation where I knew little about watches, movements and brands so I'm going to assume that your situation is the same, since you have only posted 3 messages (excuse me if this is an incorrect assumption)

Now while I was in this dilemma I did some reading on sites devoted to wristwatches, forums etc. (which I HIGHLY recommend doing, it's seriously the best advice I can give you :-!) and found out about movements, heritage, importance and significance of watches in general and the Speedmaster in particular.

And that's why I propose you to up your budget by a few hundred dollars and end up buying this:

omega-moonwatch-9.jpg

The Omega Speedmaster Professional! A true classic wristwatch, both mechanically and design wise. Virtually unchanged since it got chosen by NASA to accompany the astronauts to the moon. Which in my opinion is a true sign of excellence. An outstanding blog that features a lot of stories on the Omega Speedmaster is fratellowatches: (Fratellowatches)

It's personally one of my favourite watches ever and from my experience it's a favourite of almost every WIS (some exceptions probably) and on top of that it's super versatile: (Speedy Tuesday - Omega Speedmaster Straps

It's probably no surprise to you that after about a year of reading and looking around I ended up buying a Speedmaster Professional. I opted for the Apollo XV lim edition because I liked the red, blue and white details on the dial. The original black dialed version will always be a true classic though, and I hope to add a vintage Speedmaster (end '50s, early '60s) to my collection one day. Here's a wristshot of my watch:

8989794022_481a67f352_b.jpg

The only thing I'd change about it is make it 1 or 2 mm smaller in diameter, but it still wears nicely around my small wrist. And it's certainly not big as sadly many watches nowadays :think:

I hope you enjoyed my take on this since it took me a while to write down ;-)

Cheers,

NielsZ

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I have a problem with Tag. AFAIK their 1887 movement was essentially licensed from Seiko. If so why just not to buy Seiko for less?

Because he's looking at watches, not just a movement?
Using your rationale, why buy a vintage 873 powered Speedmaster when you can spend less and get the same movement in aTissot Chronograph of the same period?

The Omega 1120 is essentially a ETA 2892 so why buy a 2254 Seamaster?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The Racing doesn't get a lot of love around here. I guess I sort of understand why, but I think the hate is silly. The Racing is a beautiful watch with an interesting movement, at a great price, and it doesn't cling nearly so desperately to the "Moon Watch" pedigree as other Speedmaster models. It stands on its own.

P1090054_zpsa3ef7d6d.jpg

P1090059_zpse773c362.jpg

P1090066_zps19cea7a4.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Racing doesn't get a lot of love around here. I guess I sort of understand why, but I think the hate is silly. The Racing is a beautiful watch with an interesting movement, at a great price, and it doesn't cling nearly so desperately to the "Moon Watch" pedigree as other Speedmaster models. It stands on its own.
That certainly appears to be the case! I guess a lot of it has to do with the WIS-ness of the board (and that is not meant in a derogatory way at all!). Often you will see it suggested to people that if they are thinking of buying a Speedmaster, then really they should be looking at the original Moon watch or very close derivative. As you point out, I actually like that the Racing draws from a different part of Omega's heritage to the Moon watch.

I have a Speedmaster Racing and my mate has a Tag Heuer Heritage. If you ask me, I prefer the Omega. If you ask my mate, he prefers the Tag ;-)

·
Registered
954 Posts

View attachment 1332646

View attachment 1332647

View attachment 1332648
Exactly my thoughts on the 'lack of love', I have even heard another member state that the Speedmaster Racing should have been called a 'Racemaster'. Personally I really like it.

I was recently in the market and really tried to like the Moonwatch. If the Speedmaster Professional Automatic had the 3330 in it, was 40-42mm, and retailed closer to that $5k mark, I probably would have ended up with it. Don't get me wrong, I really love and respect all the history behind the original, but wanted something else. I was in the same boat 12 Years ago with my first Omega purchase. I really liked the Seamaster Professional but wanted something a little different than the James Bond look. I ended up with the electric blue model.

I see myself eventually buying a Speedy PRO, just not today. I should have my black Speedmaster Racing on Monday and should be able to report more after a week or so.

As for the Tag... I've never been a fan of any model except for the Monaco. I almost got one last year while in the Caribbean, but just could not pull the trigger.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts

View attachment 1332646

View attachment 1332647

View attachment 1332648
Indeed it has the 3330 column wheel chrono mvement which is a derivative of the longines l 688 column wheel chrono itself based on the valjoux 7750

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Exactly my thoughts on the 'lack of love', I have even heard another member state that the Speedmaster Racing should have been called a 'Racemaster'. Personally I really like it.
Technically the Racing gets back to the Speedmaster's original roots as a race timer for sporting events. The Speedmaster (not the Spacemaster) was originally released in 1957, four years before the first human space flight occurred, and over a decade before the first moon landing in 1969. The Speedmaster was never specifically designed for use in space. When NASA solicited bids for hand-wound chronographs to be used in its space missions, the Speedmaster was Omega's submission. It wasn't qualified for use in space until 1965. It didn't become the "Moon Watch" until Apollo 11 four years later.

The Speedmaster may be strongly associated with space exploration, but it was and is, first and foremost, a racing watch. Those who believe the Racing model is a serious departure from the Speedmaster's heritage have forgotten its true history and origins.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Reading all this about racing and the Speedy, what it makes ME really want is a Broad Arrow. As much as the 3570.50 approximates the original MoonWatch, the Broad Arrow approximates the original Speedmaster, itself. Dunno if the OP would consider one, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Technically the Racing gets back to the Speedmaster's original roots as a race timer for sporting events. The Speedmaster (not the Spacemaster) was originally released in 1957, four years before the first human space flight occurred, and over a decade before the first moon landing in 1969. The Speedmaster was never specifically designed for use in space. When NASA solicited bids for hand-wound chronographs to be used in its space missions, the Speedmaster was Omega's submission. It wasn't qualified for use in space until 1965. It didn't become the "Moon Watch" until Apollo 11 four years later.

The Speedmaster may be strongly associated with space exploration, but it was and is, first and foremost, a racing watch. Those who believe the Racing model is a serious departure from the Speedmaster's heritage have forgotten its true history and origins.
Hi,

I completely agree with you on this one, but we can't deny the fact that the Speedmaster went into history as "the moonwatch" and is not known for being a racing chronograph such as the Carrera or Daytona (both named after famous races). But I understand where you are coming from and I certainly have nothing against the Speedmaster Racing and wouldn't classify it as a non-speedmaster. It's just different from the Moonwatch ;) The fact I suggested the Speedmaster Professional was solely on my own opinion and likes

Cheers,

NielsZ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts