WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My dad gave me two of his president Rolex (stainless, and two tone), and I can't stand that style. I'm thinking of trading it in for either a Submariner or Sea Deweller.

I know the Sea Deweller is heavier and doesn't have the funky cycloye eye. What else should I know? Yes, I'm a diver, but I don't dive with watch attach to my wrist. Instead, I have a dive computer on my wrist.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The only other major difference is that the SD has the gas escape valve, and a higher depth rating than the SubDate. Other than that they are almost identical.

Which models exactly do you have? Rolex does not make a "President", as that is a style of bracelet. The Day-Date, which is commonly referred to as the "President" was made in *very* limited quantities in SS, and is usually only available in Platinum, 18kt white, rose, and yellow gold. AFAIK, there is no TT Day Date.

Welcome!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have a look at both of them in the flesh and choose the one you prefer, I choose the Sea Dweller as I prefer the lack of cyclops while others prefer the Sub having it, I like the links to Comex with the SD and I also like the fact that the bottom of the SD is engraved, I believe you also see less of them around.

Have a look at the link below it is a comparison between the 2 watches, which might help you make up your mind, either way you are getting an awesome watch which ever you choose, nither is the better watch just personal preference I guess.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=1178598&rid=0

Lets us know what you choose

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I know for sure it's stainless steel; however, I don't know the exact mode. I do remember the stainelss dating back to 1987. I will post a picture when I pick up the watches from my Dad after Xmas.

Jdub - thanks for the link!

·
Registered
225 Posts
sure you can remove the cyclops from the sub but why would you. the watches are pretty similiar so if you don't like the cyclops then get the seadweler.

also why pay the money to change the crystal?

anyway you look at it go to your local dealer and try them on. pick the one you like best and just enjoy one of the coolest watches you can get.

personnaly i got the seadweller. generally you can usually purchase a new seadweller for a little less then the sub. if you need a good source for trades let me know.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Rolex will not let you change the crystal. I agree that if you do not like the Cyclops, go with the SD. I have only heard of one successful cyclops removal, and it looked like ass IMHO. (Platinum DD)

I do think that you should try both if you can. The SD is much heftier than the Subdate, sits higher on the wrist, and the triplock crown takes a bit of adjusting to (for either model).

Post some pics|>|>!!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hello,

My dad gave me two of his president Rolex (stainless, and two tone), and I can't stand that style. I'm thinking of trading it in for either a Submariner or Sea Deweller.

I know the Sea Deweller is heavier and doesn't have the funky cycloye eye. What else should I know? Yes, I'm a diver, but I don't dive with watch attach to my wrist. Instead, I have a dive computer on my wrist.

Thanks for any help.
I don't think its a Day-Date in this case...Since he mentioned the SS and TT.I think its more like the DateJust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts