Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Omega 3575.20 Speedmaster White Moonphase

Votes: 16 32.0%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a toss up between these two. A Seiko Snowflake or the Omega 3575.20 (white Speedmaster Moonphase).

Here are some borrowed pictures.

home_image.2396973.jpg
SpeedmasterProMoonphase1_zps5c43b0b6.jpg

I like the simplicity of the Snowflake, and the idea of a super smooth running second hand is definitely attractive. The textured dial I'm sure is awesome in person. I'm concerned about being 41mm for a dress watch. I wonder if it will wear large.

I really like the Omega too. There is a fun factor with the Moonphase and it's also something that my kid would find really "neat". It looks classy and also like it may wear a bit smaller than the spec 41mm (I've seen other places say it's 39mm too).

The price difference would be pretty large if I bought the Snowflake new, but I'd be looking at finding a used one, so it won't be as big a deal.

Thoughts?

I'll add a poll to make it easy to help me too.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think the Snowflake is far better looking. But the Omega is far more complicated. Dunno. But I bet you'll never see another Seiko like yours around if you get the Snowflake, whereas you see Omegas every day...advantage Seiko IMO

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Both are super cool looking, but the Snowflake just feels more coherent and special. But that may be partially due to the fact that I'm not a huge chronograph guy.

Keep in mind that the Snowflake is crazy light due to the titanium, which some people dislike in real life. It takes some getting used to, but titanium watches have grown on me over the years.

The movements create a nice standoff. The Seiko is obviously far more accurate and has a superior power reserve, but the Omega is actually much more complex, with a chronograph, moon phase and date, so I suppose in that department, it depends on what aspect you were looking at. I'm more interested in the time keeping side of things personally, but that's just a preference.

In terms of movement prettiness, as I recall the Omega has a steel caseback, so at least practically speaking, the Snowflake, especially the recent better decorated ones, would handily win in that department, if it matters at all anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rarity advantage of the Snowflake. Although it's undoubtedly much rarer, I imagine that Omega is pretty rare as well, so the likelihood of seeing another one in person is probably extremely low in both cases. The ordinary Speedmasters, that's another story, but this one, I don't think so.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This one is pretty tough. I love the look of that Speedy but that is a pretty special GS. For me it would come down to price and attire. The Speedy seems a tad bit more casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was actually looking into getting a sapphire case back for the Speedmaster. They are available and the movement is pretty nice looking.

I am concerned about setting the Omega every time I put it on as it's a hand wound, but there may be some nice charm to that. The Seiko has a 72hr power reserve which is something to consider against the Omega.

I'm also concerned with ease of maintenance. I think the Omega would win with that.

It might sound I'm leaning towards the Omega, but the Seiko has definitely got me, and it's the Omega that is making me hesitate. But I've had that Omega in vaguely my sights for a long time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you ever had a hand wind only watch before? I had never, so I tried with the HMT White Pilot project, and pretty much sold it immediately. Just couldn't get used to hand winding. That's just me though, but I would hate for you to get the Omega and then not enjoy that aspect of it.

Reactions: Cannonball

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
All my (modern) watches are automatics, but I don't mind handwinding. In some cases I prefer it. With regard to that complicated chronograph, it's probably a big plus because it would otherwise be quite thick.

Of course, one of the nice things about all Seikos is that there is no rule against hand winding them anyway, so you can really go either way with that. The Snowflake does have a screw down crown though, so that can be a plus or minus depending on your aversion to water and/or hand winding.

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
Snowflake for me. I'll second what was mentioned above - if you're going to get a Speedmaster, there is only one to get - the moon watch. There's a variety of them out there - but fundamentally there's a look I would expect from a Speedmaster, and it involves a black dial, three sub registers, a hesalite crystal, and no moon phase.

The Snowflake on the other hand is, by all account I've read, and all the pictures I've seen, simply stunning.

Reactions: nikidasi

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Snowflake is something so special. I love the Speedy Pro, and can't wait to get my own but I can't agree more with the other members. When someone says Speedy Pro, we all imagine the original moon watch.

Also the Snowflake will just be an amazing watch to own and show off to all the WUSers and people around the office.

·
Registered
539 Posts
GS Snowflake. It's no contest. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Dat Snowflake fo sho!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I voted Snowflake, but in truth these aren't the exact models I would go for. I chose the GS as, for me, that just isn't the right Speedy to get. But given a free choice I would not go for a GS with a power indicator on the face. I might go for something like this:

Grand Seiko Mechanical Hi Beat GMT SBGJ001 Watch

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Boy, there sure is no wrong choice here. I've owned two of the moonphase Speedmasters, and love that version, but I'd go with the Snowflake. Make a "regular" Speedy your next watch.

You may know that the glass back for the Speedmaster requires a special spacer ring. The Moonphase requires a different spacer, so be careful you order the right one. Check with Al "Archer" and he'll get you squared away.

Reactions: Cannonball

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
It's a toss up between these two. A Seiko Snowflake or the Omega 3575.20 (white Speedmaster Moonphase).

Here are some borrowed pictures.

I like the simplicity of the Snowflake, and the idea of a super smooth running second hand is definitely attractive. The textured dial I'm sure is awesome in person. I'm concerned about being 41mm for a dress watch. I wonder if it will wear large.

I really like the Omega too. There is a fun factor with the Moonphase and it's also something that my kid would find really "neat". It looks classy and also like it may wear a bit smaller than the spec 41mm (I've seen other places say it's 39mm too).

The price difference would be pretty large if I bought the Snowflake new, but I'd be looking at finding a used one, so it won't be as big a deal.

Thoughts?

I'll add a poll to make it easy to help me too.

Thanks for looking.
All GS's outside of their actual dress watches are "too large" to be dress watches. So yes if you want the snow flake for formal wear only then it's a bad choice. If you want it to be an everyday and anything goes kind of watch then by all means get it!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts