WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ball vs. Tudor

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tudor, without any hesitation. Because of Ball's ugly logo and cyclop. BB41 (and the even more well balanced BB36) is very appealing, a bit too expensive, though

Reactions: mutnat

·
Registered
497 Posts
when I tried your watch this week at AD, the sales manager told me that they were putting the new "in house" movement in and moving away from the ETA based, just as they have with the new S&G 36/39/41

of course he may be mistaken - but its the same move they made with the BB diver 41 changing movement from ETA to in house
I totally agree. it seems very likely they'd do that. Glad I have the smiley face!

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I really like the dial on that Ball, and that would be my keeper.
my thought as well. I really like the way the dial on the Ball catches the light. I'm also biased b/c I don't prefer snowflake handsets.

tough call, they both look very nice. if you are thinking very long term, what does Ball charge to replace the dial/tritium tubes (I read somewhere they swap in a new dial, which includes new tubes, when the gas tubes lose their glow 20+ years down the road).

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
In general I'm more impressed with Tudor's inhouse movements than with Balls. I've got three Balls and at this time only one Tudor. Maybe it's my Crown focus but I also believe that the support for the Rolex based products is much better than that for Ball. My Ball watch has never shown close to its reserve capability.

·
Registered
Sinn EZM3Fz
8,057 Posts
Not for nothing but I'd keep my ball. Preferably both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
from an aesthetic point of view.. the design and look of the hands of the Ball allows it to be more versatile, in my eyes. The second hand alone is beautiful enough to allow you to dress it up a a tad, while the sporty look of it allows you to dress more casually, while keeping the watch looking like a highlight of your outfit.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The Tudor 36 is my favorite 3 hand sports watch in the not insane price range bracket so I gotta stick with that normally. But in the 41, I’d switch to the Ball.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I voted Ball. I have a Trainmaster that I'm wearing 24/7 and really like the bracelet, the Tritium allowing me to see the time at night, and its accuracy. I don't like the Tudor hands nor can I stomach the thought that people who recognize the watch will be thinking I really wanted a Rolex but couldn't afford one. The last is embarrassing because it makes me seem so small but yet its the truth.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
In general I'm more impressed with Tudor's inhouse movements than with Balls. I've got three Balls and at this time only one Tudor. Maybe it's my Crown focus but I also believe that the support for the Rolex based products is much better than that for Ball. My Ball watch has never shown close to its reserve capability.
That Tudor doesn’t have an in house movement, it doesn’t even have an ETA, it has a Sellita.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sorry changed it, which to keep.
Thanks for the update! I’ll keep my vote for Tudor as cast then. I like the simpler dial, along with the round indices of the Tudor dial. And as much as I am a fan of Ball, I don’t have the same sentimental attachment to the brand that I do with Tudor, so for me at least, the choice was easy. They are both beautiful and you can’t really go wrong with either, but then again you already know this or else the choice would be easy hahaha. Let us know what ends up sticking around! It’s a tough decision but someone has to do it hahaha

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Tudor by a mile. No comparison. The tudors case and bracelet are much nicer and fit much better. Balls have a hard time being dressy when they are so chunky. The tudors blue dial in person is impressive. Ball watches have always been uncomfortable to me. The way the bracelet and case are married makes it feel bigger than it is. You can even see in the pics how they both lay. The ball looks like a big mac.

The only reason to keep the Ball is because resale sucks on it.

The long term keeper is the Tudor if it isnt about money.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts