WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ball vs. Tudor

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You obviously like them both a lot so I propose putting one up for a month and wearing the other, then doing the same for month 2 and see what you like most.

My opinion of the two watches:

I think the ball is the more interesting and versatile watch. The bracelet is more refined and tapered if I recall. They are at least equal to tudor in quality so keeping it is not taking the worse of the two options. For me, I cannot stand cyclops and the balls (most models) have too many polished surfaces for my taste.

the Tudor is a tool field watch. There is nothing amazing about it, nothing stands out, but it’s a solid watch all around. I personally don’t care for the snowflake hand and was underwhelmed with the watch overall book when I considered one a couple years ago.

from the financial side, the Tudor will recoup more from selling it than the ball. So there is that.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Why not both? Balls go well with Tudor's deformed phallus hour hand. Ideally two Balls.

Reactions: Stellite

·
Registered
372 Posts
I prefer the looks of the Ball waaaay more and I even like the cyclops for my 50 year old eyes. The BB looks like a $175 Seiko to me. Ball is underrated in my opinion.

·
Banned
JLC Reverso Duoface
7,316 Posts
I have several problems with the Ball. One, the cyclops, polarizing looks, and dirt/dust magnet. Secondly, the date complication, prefer no date on the Tudor. Third, the seemingly inflexible bracelet, love how the Tudor bracelet folds up so well in comparison. Fourth, Ball's anti-magnetic claims which seem like BS (like only 1,000 gauss instead of Omega's 15,000 gauss for their anti-magnetic watches). So false advertising, more like resists magnitizum instead of anti-magnetic. Finally, terrible resale value.

·
Registered
834 Posts
This is a very tough one.

I personally voted to keep the Ball, but it's more because the Tudor is better in value retention and selling it would yield you a better outcome.

Both are pretty cool watches and good for keeping. Just keep the one that isn't worth as much for personal use if you don't mind that, which will be the Ball.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sometimes strangers can point something out you’re not aware of. The ‘right’ decision will always lie with the OP, but even seasoned WIS will overlook something or be blinded by hype or a honeymoon phase.
I could not disagree more (excluding that the right decision lies with the OP.)

Both are decent watches. They are similar in build quality, function and price point.

Objectively there is little to choose between them. Future resale value is about the only objective differentiator that has been mentioned so far.

Subjectively, there are aesthetics, comfort and brand cachet. We now have five pages of opinion / advice on the purely subjective. All of which should be worthless to the OP as being subjective none of it matters. The only subjective opinion that counts is the OPs.

There's a wonderful quote about opinions attributed to Henry Ford. If you don't know it, Google it. It's very appropriate here.

I feel sadness & despair for the modern world of infuencers and the influenced. I recognise that some people will always lack the confidence to make simple basic decisions on their own, but for a normal functioning adult this shouldn't be a problem. Especially so in the case of such a frivilous decision as this.

So that's why I took the time to answer in such a flippant way. Despite what the OP is asking for, I don't believe advising which watch to keep will help much. It is far better to give the guy some tools to help him understand what he thinks than it is to tell him what he thinks.

It's not the first time I've answered threads like this with similar advice. I suspect it often falls on deaf ears because, well, thinking hurts. It's just about encouraging the OP to form his own opinions and not to give a flying fig about what others may think. I've sometimes ended by telling the OP what his favourite band is and how to wipe his bottom.

It's Tears for Fears by the way OP, but not so much the period when Kurt left. Choose a quilted three ply. Look for soft, but not so soft that your fingers tear through (double up if necessary). Lean slightly forwards and wipe downwards from the top. But frankly this isn't important as long as you avoid the waxed grease proof paper you'll be fine.

EDIT:
Of course, all of that is just my opinion. Please refer to Mr. Ford and apply the appropriate weighting to it.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Ball thickness 13.5 mm
Tudor thickness 11 mm

OP: do these watches wear the same to you, are they equally comfortable? The Ball exceeds the thickness of many divers watches. Does the chunkyness not bother you at all. A watch without a rotating external bezel should not be that thick. This is why I got rid of all my Ball watches. Even my wife disliked hers because of it's thickness.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's like which kid should I sell?

Now I'm thinking - BOTH!
@Watcheur you're planning to sell both your children? Should we be worried?? :sneaky:

I've got three Balls
@hogwldfltr it might be time to consult a physician....!

Tudor, without any hesitation. Because of Ball's ugly logo and cyclop. BB41 (and the even more well balanced BB36) is very appealing, a bit too expensive, though
Okay back to the serious part. @paj20 I agree about the better balance of the BB36. I have not seen the 41 in person but in photos looking at the two side by side, the 36 is more aesthetically pleasing to me. I recently tried on a BB36 (blue dial, on bracelet) at an AD just for fun, not expecting to like it, but unfortunately for me I really quite did. It was comfortable, relatively light (for a stainless steel watch on a bracelet), and just wore and looked great on me. So its big brother the 41 gets my vote as keeper, despite preferring the dial on the 36.

In general though I have nothing against Ball and think they make nice products. In this particular model there's two things I don't like much personally: the aforementioned cyclops (which is a love it or hate it feature), and also the shape and size of the markers. Truth be told, I'm not normally drawn to circular markers either, but there's something about these rectangular slabs that doesn't do much for me. I actually think the dial would be better served by triangular/pie-piece shaped markers like seen on the Omega Aqua Terra. Maybe it's just me.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts