Votes: 66 53.7%
  • JLC Sector Dial

Votes: 57 46.3%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I hope to find the [liquid] courage to par down the collection to 4 by year-end. That's a fair number, right? I have in mind a diver, a chrono, a GADA, and a dress-ish. The first three are spoken for, more or less, but I worry, for the last category, two will be seriously duking it out, GS SBGA413 and JLC Sector Dial (I hesitate even saying "dress-ish", as I think that'll naturally lead more than a few to favor the JLC, but I just mean business casual kind of watch, since for those rare formal occasions I'll have my 34mm dress piece). Anyone care to chime in?

PS: At this stage it's merely a [hopefully somewhat amusing] thought exercise, so The Boy Who Cried Wolf edition it is. And for those wondering, the diver will likely be the BP Bathyscaphe, the chrono a 3861 Speedy, and the GADA the Explorer.

Reactions: jmariorebelo

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
This would be an easy call for me personally. I am a fan of the Master Control line, but absolutely detest that sector dial execution. And I don't say that often about watches.

Meanwhile the Spring is special, already hard to find, and will probably be discontinued at some point. It's such a unique watch for so many reasons that I'd be doing anything possible to hang on to it.

Reactions: one onety-one

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Very easy for me as well, GS all day every day. Much more interesting case and dial finishing, much better date window integration. Just a cooler watch overall.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You now have a Spring Drive watch - a very special wristwatch innovation. If you sell the GS, you won't have that innovative (and beautiful) watch anymore.

I like JLC the more I see and read about them. Yours is very sharp, but the white "no man's land" of the outer chapter ring let's it down, just a little.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
15,650 Posts
The JLC is very nice, but for business casual I would prefer the GS. It is just a fun watch to look at! Sometimes that is valuable in the workplace, a welcome distraction

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
As a much much much much much much bigger fan of JLC than GS . . . GS. The Explorer can function in the same place as the JLC sans date. I always felt if I'm going to go JLC, I need to go with something that is their signature (Reverso) or something complicated. Otherwise I've never felt JLC's were . . . spectacular enough compared to others at their price point. GS, despite how little I like them, do offer that spectacle. JLC to me actually trades off its name more than any other brand. I don't think most of us would care one wit if we didn't know the watch (almost any of theirs) were JLC, especially given how little most of us care about movements.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Keep the JLC. Looks better, fully mechanical and only produced for one year in 2017 unlike the GS. It’ll be harder to buy back in the future if you end up regretting selling it.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
(n) They had to go and ruin another dial with a PR, the JLC.
The PR is like the logo for GS 3 handers. Like the old Seiko logo. You can't be without it. That's Seiko for you. They probably view it as wabisabi.

·
Registered
Stowa Partitio, Citizen Promaster Diver, Orient Sun and Moon, G-Shock King
126 Posts
I'd choose the GS, the JLC dial just really isn't speaking to me.

Just to add a little confusion to the mix what if you sold both to fund a model you love a lot more? Anything out there that strikes your fancy more than those two in that price range of the two combined?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts