WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dabbling in the affordable realm so far with my watch collecting. I'm pretty aggressive with my rotation and try to wear all of my watches at least once a month. That being said, I'm wanting to step it up to the mid-tier and am looking solely in the used market. I'd like a watch that can be worn casual as well as with business attire or even a suit. Basically, a do everything watch. Having narrowed it down to a few models, I'm turning to the public forum here on WUS for a little guidance or direction. I like something with a darker face like blue or black (brown? :think:). These are the ones I narrowed it down to:

Rolex Explorer II (16570) black dial: Functional, holds value, iconic, 40mm size suits my 6.5" wrist. Con: could be duped into a well-made replica, most expensive
2011-Rolex-Explorer-II.jpg
Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall" 38.5mm: well reviewed and loved on the forums from owners, sweet spot in size for me, cheaper buy in. Con: No GMT function like REII, won't hold value.
d71d01a9026e24cdffa83e5f818340ad.jpg
Rolex Explorer I (14270) 36mm: Rolex but still affordable, smaller size dial might fit my wrist better, timeless design. Con: no date
download.jpg
Grand Seiko Hi-Beat or Spring Drive: exclusivity, fit and finish, in-house advanced movement, flies under the radar. Con: "Wow, you must've paid at least $200 for that Seiko", might not hold value, flies under the radar.
P1000055_1024x1024.jpg
***None of these pics are mine. Taken off Google.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on these versatile watches in this range.Which one tickles your fancy given the choice. Feel free to suggest others as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You might be able to get a pre used exp 1 for under 5k but not an exp 2. Given your needs I'd recommend the explorer 1. The bezel on the exp 2 makes it just a tad sportier then the exp 1 IMHO.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the Aqua Terra out of those you've listed. It's just a really cool watch. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any you've listed, though. Have you considered the Speedy reduced?

Long story short, whatever you choose will be fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Damn, posted the wrong Explorer II pic. That's actually the new one which is too big on me and I don't like the swollen hands. This is the one:
REII.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,855 Posts
I would go with the Explorer II, but with the polar dial. Two quick ways to determine the authenticity of the movement: (i) when setting the time, the hands rotate in the same direction as the crown; (ii) the quickset should adjust the main hour hand (it should turn over when the main hour hand goes past 12, as opposed to the GMT hand going past 24), and the date should be adjusted by the main hour hand. I was actually surprised to learn that the older generation polar Explorer II could be had for under $4000 preowned.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I'd go for the Aqua Terra out of those you've listed. It's just a really cool watch. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any you've listed, though. Have you considered the Speedy reduced?

Long story short, whatever you choose will be fine.
No, I'm not really into Chronographs. Don't see a real need for them.

·
Premium Member
21,855 Posts
Have you considered the Speedy reduced?
Why the Speedmaster Reduced instead of the Speedmaster Professional? Or would that be too much of a hackneyed suggestion even for this forum?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Okay, so here goes- if you were looking at a Rolex, I'd personally suggest an Explorer I- its a lovely versatile watch while not as 'sporty' as the larger Explorer II.

I'd say a toss up between the Omega and the Grand Seiko. The Grand Seiko is a lovely watch with a tremendous amount of history and an exceptional movement. It's finishing is probably the best of all three, and you can be comfortable that you'd be buying an excellent timepiece without a large premium for the name. On the other hand Omega tends to also have wonderful finishing (perhaps not as good as Rolex, but that is a debate for another time), and the dial on the Aqua Terra is lovely. The size too is perfect.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why the Speedmaster Reduced instead of the Speedmaster Professional? Or would that be too much of a hackneyed suggestion even for this forum?
Must've been because I had never even heard of the "Speedmaster Reduced" and I lurk the threads a lot.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I have an Aqua Terra 8500 (grey dial) and a hi-beat GS (white dial). The AT is the more versatile watch, although they're both very adaptive. The GS is the nicer watch, but trends towards dressy. If I could only keep one, I'd keep my GS, but they're both awesome.

Since you like the Explorer 2, I'd also consider a Damasko DK11, which is under budget but has a terrific movement.

Or a Nomos Club would be an excellent choice, also well under budget.

Anyway, having spent time with all of these watches (including the Rolex Explorer 2, my favorite Rolex), I still feel the GS is the nicest of them, assuming the look appeals to you. The fact that people think it's not expensive is a nice side perk.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Or a Nomos Club would be an excellent choice, also well under budget."-CitizenM

I do like the Nomos brand and design. It's on my short list for a future dressy-style watch with a hand wind movement. Everyone needs one of those right? Doesn't seem to be as versatile as the ones I've listed in the OP though.

·
Premium Member
7,336 Posts
Nomos Club is really more of a dressy sports watch than a dress watch. It doesn't come on a bracelet but one could always source a Staib mesh for it. I think it's every bit as versatile as the other watches mentioned.

Of the choices you laid out, I'd go Exp II but like mleok I would also go with the polar model.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
With a suit?

Well, the first watch is awful, the explorer 2. So that's done. The Omega if you have that next to the Grand Seiko the quality gap will be a huge gap. The explorer 1 vs the GS that I think comes down to taste. Clearly the movement is superior in the GS and imo it's a better looking watch, but the looks are subjective. I'd also add that the Rolex doesn't have the date which to me just seems like an awful sacrifice.

So in what can only be called the great land slide ever, the GS wins this one.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Since you listed 'no date' on the Explorer 1 as a 'con' I'd forget about it. You either need a date or you don't. Also, you listed 'flies under the radar' as a 'con' for the GS? To me it's a huge positive, and is why I'd choose it over a Rolex if I was having trouble deciding between the two. But if versatility is your no.1 priority and this is to be your only watch, I think the AT wins.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I'm not bashing Rolex, as I know they are superb watches, but one will likely never grace my wrist. They just don't do it for me and yes, I've tried several on. The Omega is a beautiful watch, and would have been my next watch UNTIL I tried on a Grand Seiko, which to me was so much nicer finished that until you have the opportunity to strap one to your wrist, one just can't appreciate how incredible they are. So, of the three and based on my own personal experience, I'd go Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like people are trending toward GS or Omega with the GS having better quality and finish overall. A date complication is not a must-have but should have one for a "versatile piece" so I'm thinking the RE1 is out. So many GS variants to choose from it's hard to narrow it down. Spring Drive, HiBeat, "Special", Automatic. Thanks for all the replies so far.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The Omega is a beautiful watch, and would have been my next watch UNTIL I tried on a Grand Seiko, which to me was so much nicer finished that until you have the opportunity to strap one to your wrist, one just can't appreciate how incredible they are. So, of the three and based on my own personal experience, I'd go Grand Seiko.
This is what I keep hearing about the Grand Seiko line. People whom I deem subjective and rational seem to rate them very highly.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts