WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Couldn't find one like that in the book (Brunner/Pfeiffer-Belli). Same for Longines.....

Hartmut Richter
Thank you for checking, Hartmut.

I googled for some images. This Universal Genève true panda dial I found dated to 1968:

ug.jpg
Whether the date (68) is exact or not, it is clear that it was not the first.

I also looked for an Enicar Sherpa Graf and found this reverse panda with the year '66 inside the caseback:

enicar.jpg

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you all for sharing!

WatchFred, you have already shared so much, still I dare ask you for some photograph of your Breitling Transocean (1958)?

breitingtransocean1973.JPG

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'll do that on Monday or Tuesday, have to get it from storage.

But let me share pics of the transOcean chronos u show in that ad and some more reverse panda from '69, a ref. 1765 Unitime AVI, a 7650 Co-Pilot AVI, a "big case" 2105 SuperOcean and a true panda 2110 chrono-matic.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'll do that on Monday or Tuesday, have to get it from storage.

But let me share pics of the transOcean chronos u show in that ad and some more reverse panda from '69, a ref. 1765 Unitime AVI, a 7650 Co-Pilot AVI, a "big case" 2105 SuperOcean and a true panda 2110 chrono-matic.
:-!

The Co-Pilot AVI and Unitime AVI are most appealing to me, must be because of the classic colours of a deep black dial with white subdials. But I like them all.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Great watch, pic is rather small though.
Interestingly, the 1963 Rolex Cosmograph ref. 6239, the first true panda, was sold by Christie's for a record price a couple of days ago:

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 9.00.25 AM.png
Lot Number 1: Double Swiss Underline Sold for $296,250

Pic taken from Hodinkee ( Recapping Last Night's Rolex Daytona Sale At Christie's (That Time The Average Daytona Sold For $264,963))

(This is the description by Christie's:)

SIGNED ROLEX, COSMOGRAPH, REF. 6239, CASE NO. 923'192, MANUFACTURED IN 1963

Lot Description

Rolex. A very rare and early stainless steel chronograph wristwatch with "underline double Swiss" dial and brown subsidiary dials
Signed Rolex, Cosmograph, ref. 6239, case no. 923'192, manufactured in 1963
Cal. 72B mechanical lever movement, 17 jewels, silvered matte dial, applied baton numerals with luminous accents, luminous hands, three engine-turned brown subsidiary dials for constant seconds, 30 minutes and 12 hours registers, tonneau-shaped water-resistant-type case, blank bezel calibrated for 300 units per hour and 225, 250 and 275 indications, screw back, screw down crown, two round chronograph buttons in the band, stainless steel Rolex USA riveted expanding bracelet, deployant clasp stamped 1-66, case, dial and movement signed
36.5 mm. diam.

(Brown subsidiary dials? I guess it's tropicalised.)

Price Realized

Estimate

• CHF40,000 - CHF80,000
  • ($44,052 - $88,104)

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I was curious about my Sherpa's date so I decided to take a quick look under the hood. The caseback is dated 12-66 so it's about the same age as my Top Time.

Fred's pieces have a way of stoking the Breitling fire just a little bit more!
They sure do. He's a better brand ambassador than Travolta.

Lovely music b-)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
thanks, guys; neither trying to compete with Mr. Travolta nor Mr. Beckham; though Mrs. Beckham now even has a hand in "designing" car interiors for my brand of choice for 30+ years, I'm not too amused.

another Panda that reached impressive results in Geneva, not the breathtaking sums like the R, but might be the highest ever for a Breitling at around $40k?
contrary to other pandas we've seen in Geneva, this one has a rather special movement too, Venus V179 rattrapante.

Breitling. A large and rare stainless steel split seconds chronograph wristwatch | SIGNED BREITLING, GENEVE, REF. 764, CASE NO. 1'354'591, MANUFACTURED IN 1970 | Watches & Wristwatches Auction | 1970s, chronograph | Christie's

I'm far from monogamous with my panda love, here's an Excelsior Park from the early 70s, a twin to the Gallet Daniel shows above:

and a '69 Breitling you might like ?

does the Pult/Pupitre qualify as a panda ?

the SherpaGraph does for sure, so I'll add mine:

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Interesting. That split second Breitling must be the one which Hartmut saw in Pfeiffer-Belli (only the date mentioned by Pfeiffer-Belli was wrong).

Brunner/Pfeiffer-Belli show a Breitling Ratrappante Chronograph (Venus Cal. 179) with a two-totaliser panda dial which they date to 1958. If this is accurately dated and genuine (i.e. not a redial), it would precede the Rolex.

Hartmut Richter

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,158 Posts
Ah, that's the one I meant!! B/P-B's picture is a little too small to check for lume marks but dial, case, markings, hands are all the same. Now that I can see a close up, the hands really look more 1960s than 1950s.....

Hartmut RIchter

21 - 40 of 57 Posts