WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is a wildland firefighter and I am thinking of getting him a Casio watch for his birthday. This watch will be what he wears every day when working, whether doing maintenance work on a vehicle, working out, or out in the bush battling a blaze. Ruggednessis a must; A/B/C functionality would be nice. Given the level of abuse this watch will see, I don't want to spend more than $150 unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

Initial thoughts on my end are a Mudman (bulletproof) or a Pathfinder (A/B/C functionality).

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Riseman?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Another option is the SGW-100.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Sports/SGW100_Series/

It's not as rugged as a G-Shock, but just as rugged as a Pathfinder and cheaper. It lacks the alti/barometer, but it has a compass and a thermometer (which may be more useful to your brother than an alti/barometer).

Pathfinder: A/B/C/T semi-rugged expensive
SGW-100: -/-/C/T semi-rugged cheap
Riseman: A/B/-/T rugged expensive
Mudman: -/-/-/- rugged cheap

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Another option is the SGW-100.

It's not as rugged as a G-Shock, but just as rugged as a Pathfinder and cheaper. It lacks the alti/barometer, but it has a compass and a thermometer (which may be more useful to your brother than an alti/barometer).
:-! good and logical recommendation, i second that.

regards, holger

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The Riseman is a really great watch. For simply rugged indestructibility I guess a Mudman is however hard to beat. To choose between the two...I'd go with the Riseman, if the additional functions beyond timing are a requirement and perhaps the Mudman if not (although on looks, I do prefer the Riseman; never been drawn to a Mudman yet - personal opinion only).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Speaking from a safety viewpoint, I suggest something in titanium. You don't want something thats SS heating up on your brother's wrist. You also don't want something thats resin/rubber to be melting. Titanium is a very poor conductor of heat. Think of that, and get a watch based on that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Speaking from a safety viewpoint, I suggest something in titanium. You don't want something thats SS heating up on your brother's wrist. You also don't want something thats resin/rubber to be melting. Titanium is a very poor conductor of heat. Think of that, and get a watch based on that.
Interesting point. Despite the Mudman being SS, it may get a vote here because of its resin ring layer over the caseback. This allows for ventilation and if anything, the resin, rather than the metal, will exert more pressure on the skin.

Titanium caseback models to be considered will be the Gulfman and Frogman.

A slim profile for the watch may also be crucial considering the long sleeves of the fireman suit.

In my humble opinion I think the point about resin melting is negligible, since I believe the skin will melt far earlier than the resin will at a given temperature.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think he needs a Gulfman, the best looking and probably toughest (?) G today!

Either a MIRO for the rescue look and affordable price...

...or the regular solar/atomic GW-9100 for classy look, accuracy and easy read display!

The atomic Gulfie has some of the best display among G's when it comes to read the time. :-!

·
G-Shock Mod
14,272 Posts
Get one of the MIRO models in rescue orange. ;-)
ditto ;-)

but given the job nature, i would get something that's cheap to replace and tough

i would go with G-Shock (for its toughness) over features.

Mudman is definitely a good choice, otherwise, a basic model should do it too (DW5600E, DW6600, DW6900, G2300/2310, etc)

once i saw a fire fighter wearing a DW6000, with the bezel already half gone, but apparently a new strap and it will keep on ticking |>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts