WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally narrowed it down to three watches: the Seiko Cocktail Time,the Tissot Visodate and the Orient Star Classic.My budget is $500,though I won't be getting it the moment I choose one.Here are some pictures:

Seiko Cocktail Time

Seiko_COCK_sarb65.jpg

Tissot Visodate(in both colors-either works)

760070d1341932221-advise-getting-2-watches-heritage-visodate-automatic.jpg t0194301603101-1.jpg

Orient Star Classic

el05004w.jpg

I really can't decide which to choose.I've been floundering all over the internet for the past three days,trying to make a decision (while failing miserably)o|o|o|

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
If it were me, I'd pick the Cocktail Time. I love the unique dial and the blue seconds hand. It's next on my list for an expensive (to me) purchase. I also considered the Orient Star, but it doesn't feel as special to me as the Seiko. The Tissot does absolutely nothing for me, probably due to that giant day/date window.

Good luck with the decision - you're going to get a great watch with any choice.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Cocktail time or Orient Star Classic. There, I've narrowed it down ;)

The sunburst dial on the Cocktail time isn't something you're going to find anywhere else. The Orient Star Classic has the domed sapphire, and the super sexy blue hands option. The movement on the Orient Star is finished perhaps slightly nicer, but the Seiko is right behind it. The power reserve meter is done in a classy way here, but it's up to you whether that's something cool or something more of a "clutter" item.

I am just not a big fan of the Visodate. There are features I like, but the vintage style Tissot logo is just ugly (IMHO-- they should just stick with their regular logo) and it's actually pretty tall/chunky making it harder to fit under shirtsleeves. Beyond that it's a nice watch and it's pretty nice spec-wise. Love the rotor on the movement for sure on this one.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tough call. Good thing is that they're all solid.

I'm split between the Tissot (have tried one on and I really liked it...black dial) and the Seiko. It really is almost a coin flip.

Twist my arm and I'll go Seiko. Its unique, well made and I dig the Seiko brand.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Cocktail Time 100%. Classic good looks. You'll want to wear that watch now and when you're 80. For my money, it's a clear winner between these three.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Cocktail time. If you need a black dial then the Tissot Visodate is nice but as I recall rather thick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys.I think I am starting to lean towards the Seiko at this point.To be honest,the Tissot logo feels tacked on to me,so out of the three I suppose it's safe to disqualify it.I do like the power reserve on the Classic though,which is the main reason why I'm holding on to it.Still,even as I'm typing this,I'm liking the Seiko more and more.It's classy,it's simple and it's unique.The blue seconds-hand just wraps it all up in a little bow too.The only thing I'm not too huge a fan of is the strap,but I guess that can be replaced.

Also,I must say,this forum is lightning-fast compared to a lot of other ones I've used in the past.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd also say Cocktail Time.

You'll have the least hassle should you decide to let it go later on as well.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Cocktail Time, easily.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Cocktail Time, definitely. That dial is killer.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Mos def SARB065 Cocktail time.

Every time. Other pieces are nice too, but the Cocktail time as a dial, stand out as more unique than most dress watches at any price range (although I am sure there are similar watches).

Negatives are:

- the hardlex crystal as opposed to sapphire if that is a deal breaker for you.
- strictly a dress watch and only looks appropriate on leather, whether black or dark brown. The black Visodate on the other hand can be more versatile if you intend on changing straps.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Vissodate - logo is bad, dial looks flat and the date window is too prominent.

The Orient Star Classic is a beautiful looking watch, especially the version with blue hands, but the mineral crystal is a real disappointment for me. If it was a sapphire crystal then I would've bought one by now.

The Seiko SARB line seems like terrific value. The cocktail time might be a little too dressy for me, so I'd probably go for the black SARB033 personally, but assuming that you're ok with the dressy styling of the Cocktail Time I say go for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That settles it.I've decided to go with the Seiko Cocktail Time.I'm a fan of dressy/classy watches and I really like the dial on it.It's just a great watch no matter how you look at it.The Classic,while beautiful,doesn't sport a sapphire crystal (which is odd considering the price of it) nor does it have as much of a personality as the Seiko,which is what made me decide against it.That,and the Seiko outshines it with a sapphire crystal,a much better dial,a nice blue highlight and a simpler look.I also considered a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic,but I decided against it because it lacked a personality (in my opinion).

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
It would definitely be between the Seiko and the Orient for me, and it would be a tough decision. Both are great. I THINK, but am not positive, I'd go with the Seiko in this case.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Man, I like the looks of that Cocktail Time. I just don't get much opportunity to wear a watch like that. I wonder if putting it on when I get home from work, shaking and sipping two martinis, and taking it off would keep it wound and running.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts