WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting married on December 1st (this Saturday).

Now I have a choice to make. Wear a Seiko dress watch or my SMP.

Help me out guys... My vest, tie, cuff-links are all gold colored. My Seiko Masterpiece is gold and my Omega is steel.

I posted this on an Omega forum too and got some replies saying the Seiko, yet Omega is my favorite brand. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Friends, help me out here please...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
From a strict fashion standpoint, IMHO, the Seiko is dressier and matches your outfit better. That said, one thing I learned from my wedding is that nobody will be looking at your wrist at your wedding--in fact, nobody will be looking at you! The crowd at a wedding focuses on the bride. So, if the Omega is your favorite, and is the watch you want to see on your wrist when you look back at your wedding photos many years from now, by all means go with it.

Finally, the most important point: good luck and congratulations!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The dressier Seiko would probably look better with a tux to most people...

I can understand wanting to wear the Seamaster though, so it's a tough choice.

Alas, I did not have a good dress watch at the time of my wedding (the orange monster didn't really look right, and my other seiko had a nylon band) so I didn't wear one at all.

Oh, one other thought...the gold Seiko has a brown leather band...I don't know if you're tux is black or what, but maybe the stainless steel and dark blue would look better with black.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i totally agree with nick - i dont think people will remember how you look at all :] no offense. that being said, i would go with the favorite watch. after all, after your wedding day, you will look at that watch with an additional special memory.

congratulations!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
c'mon put away the omega and wear the seiko. it's the only proper watch that goes with the outfit. if you're not going to wear the seiko then, what's the point of having it?

there will be other days you can wear the SMP.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Ask your bride.

It will be good practice!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'd go for the seiko.

CONGRATS!!!

ps: is the wedding ring silver or gold? (I mean the color, not the material)

·
Registered
368 Posts
No question . . . go with the Omega. 'Specially if you've ever wanted to feel like 007 for a few hours (not being sarcastic here).

On the other hand . . . if you had a Seiko automatic Diver's watch available, use THAT! :-!

In any case, congrats to you and your bride on your happy day!

·
Registered
522 Posts
First, Congratulations on your wedding this Saturday. :)

As Cowboy said, ask your fiancée. Wear what she says.

But...... if she has no opinion, or is too busy, and says-"Whatever you like dear", :think: then:

Wear the Seiko if it's going to be an afternoon wedding 12 to 5 PM. The gold will go better with your vest, tie, and cuff links. In the light, the gold will pull everything together.

Wear the Omega if your wedding is 6 to 9 PM. Assuming the Tux is Black, the cognac tan band will clash with your black shoes, and at night the silver/steel band won't be as noticeable that it's not complimenting the rest of your outfit.

I just realized that you are in Australia and it's summer. It won't be getting dark till 8 or 9 PM. Hmmm..... What color is your suit/tux? If it's blue, navy, off white, tan or olive, then I would definitely go with the Seiko. But if it's going to be dark/night, and your suit/tux is black or gray, then I'd go with the Omega.

Best wishes this weekend. Have one for me. :-!

·
Banned
661 Posts
Based on my own wedding experience- and assuming your bride doesn't make the decision for you, wear the one that has the most sentimental value. Weddings are all about memories, so you should wear whatever will make you happy on that day and that will make you smile when you look at the pictures later. No one else is going to notice or care. As was previously mentioned, all eyes are on the bride. You're just there.

I wore a craptastic eBay Alpha for my wedding. I laugh every single time I see the pictures now. Any decent watch would have just blended in, but that thing was fun. Terrible, terrible watch, but a great memory.

If forced to make a call, though, I'd wear the Seamaster.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wore a Edox with a Kevlar band, but my wedding was a shotgun affair. Like the others have said the Seiko with a black leather band will be more fashion appropriate but go with the Omega, it will make you happier.

Congrats

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wear whichever has the most significance to you.

I have a Tudor Oyster which I have had for 41 years. I wore it to my wedding, to uni graduation cerremonies, to my admission to court, etc.

Honeymoon watch was a Seiko diver - for our honeymoon we lazed around on a Halvorsen cruiser on the Hawkesbury River for a week.

Alternative answer: buy a really expensive watch that you love and make it your significant watch for all special occasions in the future.

SteveWA

·
Registered
10,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made My Choice

After taking all into consideration I chose the SMP.

The main reason was that is was my first true watch I ever bought myself. I always have wanted to wear it to any special occasion, even before the Seiko came along.

So even though I will not look at it every 5 minutes, that will not go down well :roll:, I'll wear it in good health.

Less then 12 hours to go and 7 hours of that will be sleep. I better write my speech, but hey, I never really write speeches, I just draft down dot points and see what happens.:-!

Plus my bride is wearing white gold jewelry which will go better with my SS watch.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: Made My Choice

That would be my choice as well.

The Seiko is somehow too classic and, after all, it's neither a JLC Reverso nor a Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Personally, stainless steel goes with everything---even a tux. Save the red band for another time.

Angelis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts