WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the watch game, and I have been doing some research on several brands. I am looking to purchase my first automatic and I am interested in a Chrono. So far I am interested in the following because I like the style and they seem to have a good reputation for being reliable:

- Damasko DC56

- Glycine Combat Chrono - white or blue numerals

- Damasko DA36 ( although it doesn't have a chrono the yellow sweeping seconds hand gives it a nice look)

- I have also been looking at the Sinn but the small date reading is a turn off. So now for the questions.

1) Where can I find these watches for purchase in the United States and what are the price points?

2) Are these good automatic watches for a beginning enthusiast?

3) Any other watches out there that I should be taking a look at?

I am kinda reluctant to buy from over seas because I have heard that you can incur extra fees...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
First of all welcome to the forums! You picked the right place for advice.

The Damaskos are a great choice but their availability at this point might be a deal breaker.

Don't know anything about the Glycine but I have never heard anything negative about them. They are a true icon in watch history, especially in the realm of 24hr watches for pilots.

I had been on the fence about the Sinn 757 for some time now and a deal came by that I just couldn't pass up. The only detractor for me is the lack of a constant seconds. I noticed the Glycine is the same so I figure this is no issue for you but I thought I'd bring it up.

Sinn has several other offerings that I had looked at including the 103 line.

Others to consider would be a Archimede Chrono. I have no experience with the chrono but have one of their regular pilots and have enjoyed it a great deal. They were very easy to do business with too even though they are in Germany. I didn't run into any extra fees on that purchase. My Steinhart, that's another story.... :-d

I don't know what your price limit is but if the DC56 was in your league I might suggest a few others as well.

The Brietling Chrono Avenger has been on my drool list for a while. Not cheap but wow what a watch.

I don't think I could talk about chronos and not mention the Omega Speedmaster. No date on this so that might turn you off all though I believe it was available with a date at one time or another. But come on, this is the watch that went to the moon. :-d

Doxa has a new two register chrono coming out soon, very different style but one I like. YMMV.

Also check out some of the offerings from Fortis. They have one model that is around $1k that I almost bought several times. If you are willing to pay a little more, something from their B-42 would serve you well.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions and search the other forums on WUS. You will find the people here are very friendly and helpful. Again welcome. ;-)

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Thanks!

Except on the Sinn 656, the date numerals of Sinn watches are pretty much the same size as those of other brands (with the obvious exception of special "big date" features) as they come that way from the factory. See. e.g. the 103, 256, 356, 856 lines.

Technology-wise, both the Damaskos (ice-hardened case) and Sinn (tegimented case, dry technology, diapal) are ahead of the pack. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Where can I find these watches for purchase in the United States and what are the price points?
www.damasko.de is telling you where to order !

Are these good automatic watches for a beginning enthusiast?
The Valjoux 7750 is the engine of most chronos as it is to the Glycine Combat and DC 56.
The ETA 2836-2 of the DA 36 is also a well known and recommended movements.

Any other watches out there that I should be taking a look at?
Archimede Flieger (Chrono), Stowa Flieger, Fortis, Askania Taifun (with Damasko´s ice hardened cases but a tad to expensive imho), Sinn.

I am kinda reluctant to buy from over seas because I have heard that you can incur extra fees...
Right, on the other hand you may save up to 19% tax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts