WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal, I wanted a new good watch (had a swatch and a gant nothing special, although the swatch chrono is still working after 11 years while exposed to a lot of swimming in the sea, kudos to swatch!), and saw the Tag heuer carrera chronograph with the black faceplate, and absolutely loved it. But after I got my senses back I just couldn't find one reason to buy a €2300 watch as a student.

So I want something cheaper but still good, I want a metal wristband, sapphire glass, preferably a automatic (just love the fluid movement instead of the ticcing movement, that is the difference between the two right? I don't know anything about watches ;) ), not too big (hate the uboats) and no gold.

I have extremely thin wrists for a guy though, I'm not small (1.85m) but I'm just cursed with small wrists, so I think a watch with a bigger diameter than 40mm would look kind of odd on my feminine wrists.

The watches that I found on the internet, but that I haven't found as of yet at a store (but I guess they will have them on the airports, so I can buy one next week tax free) are:

Tissot prc200 kind of looks like the carrera, but no idea how big it is.
Tissot pr50 saw a automatic version, and still looked kind of sporty

Tag heuer formula 1 quartz watch (most expensive one of them all, but I doubt that it equals better then the rest here)

Seiko sportura looked ok on the internet, but I guess it might be a bit to flashy in person. And I don't really like the name Seiko :)

So I'm leaning towards the tissot watches, anyone with small wrists who could advice me a bit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that all sounds promising, I think I'm going to sop for one at the airport then, do you think they sell this brand in Cape Town (South Africa), cause I'm heading there next week, maybe it would be cheaper to buy it there. If If I would buy it here I'll probably have to pay €450 if it retails for $395 it since everything here is overpriced ;).

Didn't knew all that about automatic watches, I just liked the sweeping movement, too bad it requires so much attention though. I guess I will go for the prc 200 then, thanks for your advice!

In terms of "bang for the buck", I've always been of the opinion that Tissot is the hands-down winner. The PRC 200 retails for $395 and has a sapphire crystal, a Swiss Made quartz movement, applied (metal encased) dial markers, a chronograph function, 200 meters of water resistance with a screw-down crown (suitable for swimming and even diving), an excellent bracelet and dual push button clasp. For the money you just can't go wrong in my opinion.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back from vacation and bought a prc200 with a metal band on the airport for 280euro's don't know if that is a good price though (I bet it isn't if you compare it to us prices, but compared to other European countries?)

Overall I am happy with it though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, hope you are enjoying your new prc 200 as much as I am mine. I paid 470 Canadian (which is about 310 euros).

·
5,138 Posts
Congrats on the new watch! Don't spend any time agonizing over the cost. If it's a watch you like at a price you're willing to pay, then it is a GREAT deal! :-!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts